Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Warner Brothers and Windows Media Video 9 is IDIOT

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Warner Brothers and Windows Media Video 9 is IDIOT

Postby Alejandra on Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:27 pm

Any MS product involved is an error, I believe.
Ciao,
macgirl.

Tired of hackintoshes and went with the real deal.
Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:41 pm

LOL! Nice thread title. :lol:
Care to explain the details of your obvious frustration?
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Boba_Fett on Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:34 pm

Just because MS has a hand in it, its automatically bad? Have you ever SEEN HDTV wmv9 movies/trailers? No? Honestly, some people need to get over the "I think I'm cool because I rebel against the machine" mentality. I've viewed plenty of wmv9 HDTV material and it easily beats the compressed HDTV crap found on most satelite and cable providers. Give them a chance...
eVGA NF4 SLI mobo
Opteron 165 Dual Core 1MB cache @ 2.5ghz
2GB Mushkin DDR PC4000
2x160GB & 1x250GB 7,200RPM SATA w/NCQ
eVGA Geforce 7900 GTO 512MB PCI-e
Pioneer 111D 16x DVD burner
Onboard Sound :(
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:48 am

i would agree with boba_fett

if microsoft didn't exist computer wouldn't be anywhere it is today or the number of computer users/owners
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby jberry on Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:36 pm

actually give credit to commodore 64....commodore 64 got the computer into the home and really started the "home" computer revolution, which IBM missed out on big time....Gates once said he was inspired by the success of Commodore
jberry
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:33 pm

Well, let's hope that all compression methods thrive for the next gen hd disc formats.

Microsoft's VC1 is there really to drive down licensing and simplify contracts.

MPEG-4 AVC is (or at least used to be) a mess, unless the group pulls their act together in terms of licensing and pricing. Microsoft can force this easily as they own / control pretty much all of the IP related to VC1 (in one way or another, afaik).

In this way competition truly is good.

Thomsons Film Grain tech is of course very interesting. Personally I'm very glad it's showing signs on coming aboard. Now let's just hope it'll be priced right and the brain dead film companies understand to use it. Film grain is such an essential part of many wonderful films that sacrificing that for the artificial cleanliness of VC1/MPEG4 AVC is bloody murder, me thinks.

In the end, I hope all of them will become in use and that MS won't get a major stake of the market.

Because if they do, history has shown what will happen.

Competition is good and in this case MS competition can actually help, as long as they don't get the majority of the market / mind share.

That's my two cents worth.
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby Alejandra on Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:15 pm

Boba_Fett wrote:Just because MS has a hand in it, its automatically bad?

No, it's not. I use another MS products, and I don't doubt about the quality in HD-DVDs with WMV9. My fear is about the monopoly they are creating about almost everithing, my cable set box has Microsoft TV software (and sometimes I need to reboot, turn it off and on again), the cashiers in the supermarket has Microsoft software, I prefer a HD-DVD player that have other than MS encoder.
Ciao,
macgirl.

Tired of hackintoshes and went with the real deal.
Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby Boba_Fett on Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:10 pm

Halc wrote:Thomsons Film Grain tech is of course very interesting. Personally I'm very glad it's showing signs on coming aboard. Now let's just hope it'll be priced right and the brain dead film companies understand to use it. Film grain is such an essential part of many wonderful films that sacrificing that for the artificial cleanliness of VC1/MPEG4 AVC is bloody murder, me thinks.

What? That makes zero sense! What possible purpose is there to keep film grain besides some weird nastalgia factor? I am SO glad the new digital recording fixes that crap...
eVGA NF4 SLI mobo
2GB Mushkin DDR PC4000
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:39 am

jberry wrote:actually give credit to commodore 64....commodore 64 got the computer into the home and really started the "home" computer revolution, which IBM missed out on big time....Gates once said he was inspired by the success of Commodore

Agreed! My commodore 64 and Amiga 1000 and Amiga 500 were my first 3 computers (in that order). And it was with the Amiga 500 that I learned that I could do many things other then play games with my computer (actually, I started BBSing on the Amiga 1000). To be honest, I wish AmigaOS was available for PCs, simply because it was so much more stable then any WindowsOS. There was something about having your OS on a chip that I liked as well :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:32 am

Boba_Fett wrote:What? That makes zero sense! What possible purpose is there to keep film grain besides some weird nastalgia factor? I am SO glad the
new digital recording fixes that crap...

This is sarcasm, right? If it is, then you're so right with that sarcasm that it hurts :)

If not, then good grief. We certainly deserve what we are getting :)

regards,
halc

PS For those who really don't know, film grain is an ESSENTIAL part of cinematic expression that a director uses ON PURPOSE to express something he/she wants. Even when accidental (originally) and this rarely happens, film grain is an essential part of the movie in the form it has become to be known. It's not the same as "bad print" or "dust and scratches". It's part of filmmaking process, just like selection of script, dialogue, lenses, films, actors, lighting, sound effects, etc...
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby Boba_Fett on Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:03 pm

I was serious, but I was also refering to the whole "dust and scratches" that comes with shooting light off film. If the director wanted film grain for some reason (I can think of a few movies made within the last decade that use it interestingly) I guess I don't have a problem with it.
eVGA NF4 SLI mobo
2GB Mushkin DDR PC4000
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers