Home News Reviews Forums Shop

PX-716A *drumroll please*

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

PX-716A *drumroll please*

Postby aviationwiz on Thu May 12, 2005 8:56 pm

Well, I just ordered a PX-716A last night from Newegg, but they didn't ship it today, so I think I'll just buy one in store tomorrow and refuse delivery of the one from Newegg.

I think I'm done with Newegg, they don't ship next business day anymore unless you pay $2.99 extra, plus their return policies and RMA policies and such are pretty crappy. Not to mention the fact that they use FedEx...but that played a surprisingly small part in my decision.

I also ordered 100 TYG03 16x DVD-R White Inkjet Printables from Rima.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Gen-An on Thu May 12, 2005 9:53 pm

From what I've seen, the 716A drives really like TYG03.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu May 12, 2005 9:54 pm

Gen-An wrote:From what I've seen, the 716A drives really like TYG03.

Seem to like Acro Circle 16x DVD+Rs too :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby mikepraba on Thu May 12, 2005 11:14 pm

I have plextor 716A and i couldnt find TY media with TYG3 code. Blankmedia.ca has TYG2 code TY. where can you find the TYG#?
mikepraba
CD-RW Thug

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri May 13, 2005 2:40 am

blankmedia.ca has Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-Rs... they're one of the only places that *DOES* have them.

Also, www.precisionsound.com (the Toronto office) has them as well if their office is more convenient for you?
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Fri May 13, 2005 5:09 am

Hmm I guess as a fanatic you couldn't live withouth it.
Wasn't this actually worth front page news after the comments Aviationwiz made when the drive was released with crap firmware :D
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri May 13, 2005 12:26 pm

I could see the headlines now:

Plextor Fan(atic) purchases Plextor drive!

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Fri May 13, 2005 12:43 pm

buying my plextor 716a from best buy today, my price is $102

anyone up to buying one of my other drives listed in my sig? if not ill just run all 3 dvd burners in my computer

so ive finally found a device to put in my last open 5.25" bay, only took me 2 years
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby jberry on Fri May 13, 2005 1:44 pm

actually blankmedia says there are out...however there is a review on the 16x dvd-r TYs:

TY is simply the best. Acroding to plextools PI avg of 0.05 w/peak of 5 and 0 POFs BUT these are the new TYG03 so buyer beware, if you have an older dvd burner they may not work right (come w/ warning label)

what is it with buyer beware that these may not work?
jberry
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri May 13, 2005 2:39 pm

jberry wrote:actually blankmedia says there are out...however there is a review on the 16x dvd-r TYs:

TY is simply the best. Acroding to plextools PI avg of 0.05 w/peak of 5 and 0 POFs BUT these are the new TYG03 so buyer beware, if you have an older dvd burner they may not work right (come w/ warning label)

what is it with buyer beware that these may not work?

Interesting, ok... then try precisionsound.com and tell them "The Dolphin" sent you ;-) (call the Toronto office, and ask for Bruce).

As for the warning, it exists only so that people with old LG 4040B's don't call in and complain when they are only able to burn them at 2x, and the disc fails mid burn :lol:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sat May 14, 2005 2:47 pm

Your overreacting a little. The GSA 4040 will burn deny a burn or burn at 2x but it will not fail. Really why the drive is known for horrible support of higher then 4x media from big manufactuers or smaller manufacturers 4x media. when it comes to speed It also is known to not fail. It actually the burn quality is in most cases still good. Still the change is high that it won't even burn !!!
So that's why it says buyer beware for these folks.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun May 15, 2005 2:14 am

RJW wrote:Your overreacting a little. The GSA 4040 will burn deny a burn or burn at 2x but it will not fail. Really why the drive is known for horrible support of higher then 4x media from big manufactuers or smaller manufacturers 4x media. when it comes to speed It also is known to not fail. It actually the burn quality is in most cases still good. Still the change is high that it won't even burn !!!
So that's why it says buyer beware for these folks.

I have to disagree with you on that one unfortunately. I've personally had to deal with well over a dozen different people completely unable to get readable results on burned DVDRs that were rated for 8x and burned at 2x. Some of these were RiData, Optodisc, and Prodisc DVDRs. I don't THINK I've seen problems from people using Taiyo Yuden 8x, or Maxell 8x, but I've seen more people having reliable success with Princo 4x DVD-Rs, burned at 4x, then with Ritek/Optodisc/Prodisc 8x DVD-Rs burned at 2x.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sun May 15, 2005 9:48 am

RiData, Optodisc, and Prodisc DVDRs.
Yeah but there you name some crap media.
RiData -> You do know that European Ritek was supposed to be a little better then this.
Optodisc -> doesn't work on any drive really good in Europe so that's why folks allready avoid it.
Prodisc -> small market share.
I was talking about:

MCC,Maxell, TY, RITEK(TRAXDATA and RIDISC Extreme which are the better riteks it seems ), CMC, MAM-E, TDK, ricoh codes.

No really if someone uses media from the bottomline of quality don't blame the burner if it screws up. I know the GSA4040 hasn't good support but please give it fair media to give a fair opinion.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby seanc on Thu May 19, 2005 5:10 pm

FWIW: newegg ships my stuff within a day and I've never paid to fast track it. buy.com on the other hand has really given me problems lately. I ordered an ipod for mothers day and it took 3 weeks to get here. When I selected the low cost shipping with buy.com, then put it in usps (which I'm sure got it here in 3 or 4 days...buy.com just was slow getting it into the system)

Sean
seanc
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers