Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Futureshop: 25 DVD+R DL media for $100!

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Futureshop: 25 DVD+R DL media for $100!

Postby Phoenix '97 on Fri May 27, 2005 4:41 pm

Here:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 5Fcookie=1

What amazes me the most is how fast the price is falling. It's $4 a disc now but just a few months ago it was something like $8-$10 if you could get them at all.
I'll pick up a few once they hit $2 or so - I've only been doing data backups recently. ;)
Any ideas as to how good these are though?
Phoenix '97
CD-RW Player

Re: Futureshop: 25 DVD+R DL media for $100!

Postby Boba_Fett on Sat May 28, 2005 12:17 pm

Phoenix '97 wrote:Here:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 5Fcookie=1

What amazes me the most is how fast the price is falling. It's $4 a disc now but just a few months ago it was something like $8-$10 if you could get them at all.
I'll pick up a few once they hit $2 or so - I've only been doing data backups recently. ;)
Any ideas as to how good these are though?

Well, chances are that those Memorex's are Ritek... which are quite possibly the worst DVD+R DL's out there.
eVGA NF4 SLI mobo
Opteron 165 Dual Core 1MB cache @ 2.5ghz
2GB Mushkin DDR PC4000
2x160GB & 1x250GB 7,200RPM SATA w/NCQ
eVGA Geforce 7900 GTO 512MB PCI-e
Pioneer 111D 16x DVD burner
Onboard Sound :(
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Re: Futureshop: 25 DVD+R DL media for $100!

Postby Ian on Sat May 28, 2005 12:19 pm

Phoenix '97 wrote:What amazes me the most is how fast the price is falling. It's $4 a disc now but just a few months ago it was something like $8-$10 if you could get them at all.

That's because Verbatim pretty much owned the market. They were the only ones shipping mass amounts of discs so they could pretty much charge what they wanted. Now that the Taiwanese manufacturers are ramping up production, prices are coming down.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby RJW on Sat May 28, 2005 1:18 pm

Only problem is that expensive Mitsubishi stuff works and if not you can just return it (Verbatims guarantee policy. Infact if your lucky your one bad disc will be replaced by more stuff.) while with most cheap Ritek stuff it's just hits and miss and no gurantees.

However the RICOH media made by Ritek might become a interesting option. Support is not as good as MKM yet. Still this media has some potential. Slowly getting better supported and not haveing very big quality variations.
Only downside is that the media with Ricoh mid is not that much cheaper as Mitsubishi but still for the folks who burn a lot and have a burner that does support it, it has become a option.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby alexnoe on Sat May 28, 2005 1:18 pm

At the moment, you can get 10 DVD+R DL Ricoh for 40 euros here. Although some drives can't handle them (as they are inverted stack media), those which do (LG 4120B/4163B, PX716) produce acceptable results with them, something you can't say about Ritek...the lower production cost seems to allow more quality control ;) i've just finished my first 10pack, and all discs worked
alexnoe
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sat May 28, 2005 1:23 pm

Also for the folks wondering if there more options as MKM, RICOH, RITEK that can be found on the european/american market:
There is the Philips media Philips CD2 MID.
Quality is ok. Support however is not as good as RICOH. And now comes the real bad point. The prices of this media are quite high. There on level of the Mitsubishi stuff. In other words this ain't a real option unless prices drop and support improves. Untill then it's only interesting for the folks who like to have all sorts of media or like to do tests on any piece of media they can get there hands on.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby seaegg on Mon May 30, 2005 2:12 am

If I had a $100 lying around bone idle and getting fat I'd buy them because mt Pio 109 with the new Buffalo FW 1.50 burns them extremely well and they actually play back better in all my standalones better than the Verbatims.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers