Home News Reviews Forums Shop

NEC 3520 Issues, Please Help, Need It For School

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

NEC 3520 Issues, Please Help, Need It For School

Postby DKAudio on Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:21 pm

Hi, I am starting my summer semester pretty soon and my old Asus CD burner stopped working, it wouldn't read any burnt media. I then got a NEC 3520 from newegg. The unit will read media but I cannot burn. I tried to make a normal audio cd using Nero, Easy CD-Creator, and Roxio (the software that came with it). It would either fail at the burns or say it was burning and completed successfully but the CD-R would still be blank. I then tried TDK CD-Rs and then Asus CD-Rs and nothing worked. Finally I tried flashing the drive with NECs newest firmware (3.04). Any ideas? I need the drive for school next week.

A final question...when I go into my 3520 in Device Manager it asks me for the region code. It says I only have 5 times to change it and then I can never change it again. I put region 1 (US) and the next time I started my computer I checked it again and it said no region selected with only 2 tries left! What should I do about that? Thanks
DKAudio
Buffer Underrun

Postby hoxlund on Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:30 am

for the region, load up the region free firmware:

http://tdb.rpc1.org/#ND3520A
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Re: NEC 3520 Issues, Please Help, Need It For School

Postby 21st Hermit on Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:52 pm

DKAudio wrote: It would either fail at the burns or say it was burning and completed successfully but the CD-R would still be blank.
From my experiences, this is a pretty worthless forum for trouble shooting. Unfortunately, I know not of a better CD/DVD forum.

Was your media blank or unreadable? You can look look at the data side to see if the "color" has changed.

Have you tried burning any DVD's? As I remember, I couldn't burn CD's on my 3520A either, but had a CD-RW in my laptop and stopped trying.

Hermit
21st Hermit
CD-RW Thug

Postby DKAudio on Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:13 pm

I think the media might not have been able to be read. If I put a blank disk in and clicked on the drive in My Computer it would say device is not ready/Retry? or Cancel. I am getting very worried because I am going to need it in 2 days.

Hoxlund, what firmware version should I use? I see that there are many. Any step by step directions for flashing? Thanks
DKAudio
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:24 pm

DKAudio wrote:If I put a blank disk in and clicked on the drive in My Computer it would say device is not ready/Retry? or Cancel.

that is normal behaviour
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Alektron on Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:13 pm

Whenever you have problems with a CD burner, always use CD-RW at first so you don't waste a lot of CD-R's.

Try putting in a new or unimportant CD-RW into the drive. If it is supposed to have data on it, check My Computer to check the CD to see what data is on it. Go into the software that came with the drive and there should be something that says "Erase blank media" or something like that. Run it. Now, check the My Computer or Explore the CD-RW. Did the data disappear?

Ok, maybe you don't have a CD-RW with data already; just a new one. Try using the Nero, Roxio, whatever program came with it to burn any file onto the disc. Go back to the icon in My Computer, and explore it. Did the data appear?

(By the way, do you have InCD or some other drive burner drag and drop program installed? Sometimes if you have two or more of these types of programs, they can conflict with each other. You might check your Task Manager to see what programs/processes are running in the background.)

What you may try if nothing else works is uninstalling all your burning programs that you can find. Re-install just the program(s) that came with your drive. They've been bundled with it, and should work. Basically, your problem is either software or hardware. I would be very suprised if a brand new CD or DVD "burner" drive would not burn out of the box because of a hardware problem!
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby DKAudio on Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:47 pm

Ok, I previously used a CDRW and the data is read ok. I will try erasing it when I get home. I will not be able to burn data onto a CDRW though, since the burner isn't burning. I do have other burning programs so I will also try to delete them and just run one program. I will update you all later today when I get home, Thanks for the help so far, I appretiate it.
DKAudio
Buffer Underrun

Postby DKAudio on Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:29 pm

The burner would erase a CDRW but the size was 572MB with 571MB free space afterwards. I then tried burning again and it failed right away again. Roxio always says Unkown Error 0X33000003

I will try removing all the burning programs and reinstalling Roxio.
DKAudio
Buffer Underrun

Postby DKAudio on Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:42 pm

I took the disc out and put it back in. Roxio the free space said 702MB and it now says the same thing in my computer so at least it seems to erase ok. What next?
DKAudio
Buffer Underrun

Postby Alektron on Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:48 pm

Try using Roxio to copy any small file from your hard drive to the CD-RW. Then check it to make sure it's there.
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:52 pm

DKAudio wrote:The burner would erase a CDRW but the size was 572MB with 571MB free space afterwards. I then tried burning again and it failed right away again. Roxio always says Unkown Error 0X33000003

I will try removing all the burning programs and reinstalling Roxio.

sounds like you have DragToDisc or DirectCD installed on your computer.
if you can , uninstall it. it might be interfering.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Han on Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:21 am

Be sure to install the latest version/update of your favourite burning program! In your case I would uninstall every single software that affects CD/DVD writing, then install Nero 6.6.0.13 and make some tests. If it also fails to write the disc successfully, then your drive is most likely defective.

Furthermore, connect the drive as Master, without a Slave present, and check if it operates in UDMA mode...
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby DKAudio on Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:48 pm

I was able to burn two program files onto a CDRW using Windows as my burning program. At least I know it can burn.

I uninstalled every program that has to do with burning any media, I then just installed Roxio (the program that came with the drive) The results were the same when trying to create a audio CD on a CDRW. I am getting so frustrated, I start school on Monday. Please help, any more ideas?
DKAudio
Buffer Underrun

Postby DKAudio on Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:39 pm

I checked my Primary and Secondary IDE channels and they are all at "DMA if available".
DKAudio
Buffer Underrun

Postby Alektron on Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:14 am

So, you can copy a file from your hard drive to the CD-RW using the built-in Windows utility, but can you copy a file using "Copy files to disc" in Roxio?

The results were the same when trying to create a audio CD on a CDRW.

I'm not quite sure what that means. That means success or failure?

By the way, I read something bad about the quality of TDK CDRs. You may want to avoid those.
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers