Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVDDecrypter.com closed by Sony ?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVDDecrypter.com closed by Sony ?

Postby ItalianJob on Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:24 am

Seems that Sony is behind that...

Hello world,

I"ve got some good news and some bad news.Let’s start with the good.... (tumble weed passes by)Ok, and now onto the bad: DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 is the last version you"ll ever see.We hoped this day would never come, but it has, and I can promise you, nobody is more gutted about it than I am.

What started as a bit of fun, putting a GUI around some existing code, turned into something that I can only describe as ‘part of me’ – yes, I know that’s sad ;-) As I"ve recently been made aware (by a letter, hand delivered to my door, last Tuesday), due to some law that was changed back in October 2003, circumventing copy protection isn"t allowed.

Ok so it has taken a while (almost 2 years), but eventually "a certain company" has decided they don"t like what I"m doing (circumventing their protection) and have come at me like a pack of wolves. I"ve no choice but to cease everything to do with DVD Decrypter.I realise this is going to be one of those "that sucks - fight them!" kinda things, but at the end of the day, it"s my life and I"m not about to throw it all away (before it has even really started) attempting to fight a battle I can"t possibly win.

If 321 Studios can"t do it with millions, what chance do I have with £50?! As I"m sure most of you have already noticed, the site has been down for a few days. That surprised me as much as the next person (slight breakdown in communication), or I would have issued this statement on it directly.

So anyway, from this point forward, I"m no longer permitted to provide any sort of assistance with anything that helps people infringe the rights of "a certain company".That means, no more emails, no more forum posts, no PM"s, no nothing! END OF STORY.The domain name will be transferred over to the company by the end of the week (9th June, according to the undertakings I have to sign) so don"t email it thinking "Oh, I"ll just ask LIGHTNING UK! for support on this". You"ll not be getting the intended recipient and could be landing yourself in sh1t!

With 3.5.4.0 being the last version, it makes sense for everyone to disable the "check for new versions" feature, as obviously there won"t be any. Of course what I really mean is that you should all stop using the program out of respect for the company’s rights.

Anyone hosting DVD Decrypter is advised to cease doing so immediately. I"ve the feeling they won"t stop with just me. I"m having to contact anyone I know of that is (at the very least, the "mirror" sites), and tell them to stop. Copies of those emails must also be sent to the solicitors so they can check I"m doing everything I"m supposed to. If I don’t, I die.

It is of course down to the owners of those sites to react how they want to. It"s not my job to force you to do anything you don"t want to, I"m just giving you some friendly advice. Maybe it"s just me, but I see this as a bit of an "end of an era". I realise there are other tools, but there"s no telling how much longer they"ll last, and not only that, mine was the oldest! I"ve met loads of great people over the years and I want to take this opportunity to wish them every success for the future - yes DDBT peeps, that includes you lot! : "(I hope you"ve all enjoyed my contribution to the DVD scene and maybe I"ll see ya around sometime.

LIGHTNING UK!
(Author of the once "Ultimate DVD Ripper", DVD Decrypter)
ItalianJob
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:24 am

if true, that Stinks! :(

i wonder if it's possible for him to make available the sources, so that someone else might pick up the work? i don't know if he'd want to do that (even if he can) but...

BTW where is this text taken from ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:36 am

dodecahedron wrote:BTW where is this text taken from ?

Probably here:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11914
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby ItalianJob on Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:38 am

Yes... Sad day.
ItalianJob
CD-RW Player

Postby eric93se on Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:31 am

(crystal ball at hand) I predict a sudden fall in dvd burner sales!

Everyone QUICK!.........sell you dvd burner stocks!!!!!!!!!!!
Benq DW-1640
ASUS 1608P2 >> Crossflashed to Pioneer 110 -> RAM+Bitsetting+removed riplock+RPC1 :D

Boost Mobile stole my minutes, then would rather loose me as a customer than give back my minutes (thieves).
eric93se
CD-RW Player

Postby grouch on Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:57 pm

guess its time to return the 8 spindles of fujifilm i bought from bestbuy
the engineers at whichever company that did this were probably too dumb to make new and effective protection so they decided to eliminate those that could take down their current protections
grouch
CD-RW Thug

Postby ETP on Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:13 pm

Damn fine program! Private e-mail us in the future on stuff :D :D :D ! Thanks Italian Job.

BQ 1640 BSOB
NEC 4550 1.6T
Plextor 716a 1.09
Pioneer 109/A09 158
Pioneer 110/A10 1.39
Liteon 5005
Sony 875P & 333ES
Liteon 5005
HK7200
Hitachi 61SDX
Two Dell 8400s & 9100 with SATA HDs
ETP
CD-RW Player

Support Reform of DMCA

Postby Alektron on Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:39 pm

I found a link that can help us. If you reside in the USA, you can write to your congressman to tell him about your rights! You are legally entitled to to backup your own DVD. [-X

https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?JS ... lay&id=115

Electronic Frontier Foundation
http://www.eff.org/
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers