Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD Delamintation

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVD Delamintation

Postby gm2015 on Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:34 pm

recently bought some Maxell 8X DVD-R (15 pack spindle). Not knowing the difference between CD jewel cases and DVD cases, I decided to put them in CD cases. I have since done some reading on the internet about delamination, and how CD cases, because they are too rigid, can put too much stress on the center hub, causing delamination.

Having read this, I took a look at the Maxell DVD-Rs which I put in the CD jewel cases. Some of them look perfectly good, but I’ve noticed that a few of them have areas where parts of the center hub look a little different then the rest of it. Coming right off of the hub, I have semi-circular/oval areas which are lighter (clear), while the rest of the hub has a darker tint.

In two of them, the lighter (clear) area is fairly noticeable (from the center of the hub to about an 1/8 of an inch out).

Is this a sign of delamination, or could this just be a result of the way they were manufactured?
gm2015
CD-RW Thug

Postby Alektron on Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:24 pm

The DVD hub doesn't have any writing surface on it, right?

I'm not an expert on delamination, but what it seems to me is that the problem is caused when you pull the DVD off the hub clasp, you could flex the disc, causing damage. DVD cases are supposed to not hold the hub under stress; therefore you only need to on the clasp lightly and lift it off without bending the disc. If the DVD disc is in a CD jewel case, I think it could exert internal pressure outwards from the hole of the disc, but it's hard to believe that that could cause any problem because the force is along the plane of the disc. It seems that delamination can happen when the disc bends, and the sandwich layers separate.
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby gm2015 on Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:51 pm

There's no writing on the discs at all. The reason why I thought that this might have to do with putting it a CD case is that I still have some of the Maxell DVD-Rs in the original package and there are no marks like this on those. As for for ones that I put in CD cases, three of them do have this kind of mark.

This weekend, I bought some DVD cases (Staples brand), and I tried putting a couple of the discs in them, and the piece in the center of the cases was very rigid and I had to press the DVDs on to it in order to get on it. As soon as I did, I got similar areas on these discs. I would see an elliptical area somewhere on the hub (like a pocket or a bubble) where the color was different than the rest of the hub. As soon as I took the discs out of these Staples' cases, the pockets disappeared. That made me think that these Staples' DVD cases also put too much stress on the hub of the discs.
gm2015
CD-RW Thug

Postby Alektron on Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:17 pm

I think you should take a couple digital pictures of the phenomenon that you are seeing (2 examples) and post them. Also, inspect the Staples DVD case and see if you can find the manufacturer's name and any other ID codes. You might be able to contact the manuf. directly about your questions. On the other hand, if their case doesn't conform to DVD case standards, they may avoid your questions and hope that you remain quiet. Most of this stuff is made in China or Taiwan, so inherently they tend to avoid answering people. Or, take it up with Staples, and make them scared that they will be liable for huge damages from thousands of angry consumers. But only do that if your observed phenomenon is a serious long-term problem, and not harmless to the DVD. Currently, I keep most of my burned DVDs in a Case Logic binder in the soft sleeves. I could be wrong, but I think this is fairly safe because it keeps them out of sunlight, minimizes air availability, and doesn't stress them against the plane of the disc.
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby gm2015 on Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:46 pm

I would post two examples, but I don't have a digital camera.

I took another look at the CD cases I was using to store the DVDs, and I didn't really have much of a problem getting them onto the center of the cases- and I didn't push them down on to the hub of the tray (which makes it easier to get them off).

These CD cases actually seem better suited for holding DVDs than the Staples DVD cases. I am not putting anything on those ever again.

Today, I was able to get some decent DVD cases, so my problem is solved. In the future, I will just buy DVD-Rs that come with their own cases, and not bother getting stacks that come without them.
gm2015
CD-RW Thug

Postby Halc on Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:26 am

Do you have a flatbed scanner?

You could try scanning, if you do (might not come out well, but you can try).

I'd be very interested in those kind of scans.
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby gm2015 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:00 pm

I don't have a scanner either.

The DVD cases from Staples are made in China. I took another look at them, and it seems that I can get them onto the center hub more easily. I might have used more force than I needed to when I first put a couple of DVDs into them. That being said, the center hub of the cases are clearly more rigid than on the similar black, rectangular snap-shut cases that I got with my pre-recorded DVDs.
gm2015
CD-RW Thug

Return to DVD Writers