Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Are all 16x Verbatium DVD+/-R discs MKM's?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Are all 16x Verbatium DVD+/-R discs MKM's?

Postby MonsterMan on Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:37 pm

The ones at BB aren't made in Singapore, but Taiwian. Same thing?

And is there any way to tell the "good" Verbatiums (8x or 16x) apart when ordering online? The 'egg has a ton of Verbatium discs, but I want the good stuff :)

Edit: Oh yeah...what about those "scratch proof" DVDs Verbatium has? Anyone tried 'em in a BenQ 1620?
MonsterMan
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:06 pm

Verbatim made in Singapore is made by Mitsubishi Chemicals
Verbatim made in Taiwan is made by CMC

We may eventually see Verbatim Made in Taiwan by Prodisc as well (which already exists for 8x media).
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:08 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Verbatim made in Singapore is made by Mitsubishi Chemicals
Verbatim made in Taiwan is made by CMC

We may eventually see Verbatim Made in Taiwan by Prodisc as well (which already exists for 8x media).

I would have thought the printable 16x media would be by Prodisc, but so far it seems they are by CMC as well.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:24 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Verbatim made in Taiwan is made by CMC

how does your BenQ DW1620 like these 16x CMC Verbatims?
Last edited by dodecahedron on Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby rahzel on Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:52 pm

Verbatim MIT MCC media is made by CMC and Prodisc but to Mitsubisihi standards, therefore being much better than CMC Magnetic's own media right Dolphin?
rahzel
Buffer Underrun

Postby Bhairav on Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:27 am

rahzel wrote:Verbatim MIT MCC media is made by CMC and Prodisc but to Mitsubisihi standards, therefore being much better than CMC Magnetic's own media right Dolphin?

I think so, yeah. They work fine on my Litey.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:39 am

dodecahedron wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Verbatim made in Taiwan is made by CMC

how does your BenQ DW1620 like these 16x CMC Verbatims?

I haven't tested them yet on my DW1620... really right now nearly all my computer time is going to my BenQ DW1640 review... but I'll see what I can do! When I get to them to burn on my BenQ DW1640 I should be able to squeeze enough time to do a burn and test on my DW1620 as well (since the Plextor testing takes 1.5 hours on its' own :o )
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:41 am

rahzel wrote:Verbatim MIT MCC media is made by CMC and Prodisc but to Mitsubisihi standards, therefore being much better than CMC Magnetic's own media right Dolphin?

Yuppers, the quality standards are generally higher. Of course you'll probably find some Generic CMC media with the same quality on occasion, and you'll probably find some bad batches of CMC made Verbatim as well. But CMC is still the only company that can make Verbatim's 2.4x DVD+RDL media properly other then Mitsubishi Themselves, and no other company has come close to this kind of quality on dual layer, so that can tell you what CMC is capable of when they try hard enough! :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Bhairav on Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:02 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:

Yuppers, the quality standards are generally higher. Of course you'll probably find some Generic CMC media with the same quality on occasion, and you'll probably find some bad batches of CMC made Verbatim as well. But CMC is still the only company that can make Verbatim's 2.4x DVD+RDL media properly other then Mitsubishi Themselves, and no other company has come close to this kind of quality on dual layer, so that can tell you what CMC is capable of when they try hard enough! :wink:

^^With Mitsubishi/Verbatim's help, of course!
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby MonsterMan on Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:30 pm

Wow, good CMC discs...never thought I'd see the day! :)

That's pretty much what I figured...it's getting hard to find the MCC stuff (at least around here, it is). Can't even find Fuji "Made In Japan" stuff :(

Oh well...www.rima.com...some TY's...yeah, that'll work :wink:

I was about to order a 2nd 1620...but after seeing what the '40 can do (with 8x TY +R), I'll wait a bit. Quality over speed for me!

I've gotta pick up some of those "scratch proof" discs they've got. Wonder how good they are next to the old TDK Armor Plated discs? For that matter, wonder how those would do in the 1620/1640. Only 4x -Rs, but still...
MonsterMan
CD-RW Player

Postby rahzel on Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:37 pm

MonsterMan wrote:Wow, good CMC discs...never thought I'd see the day! :)

That's pretty much what I figured...it's getting hard to find the MCC stuff (at least around here, it is). Can't even find Fuji "Made In Japan" stuff :(

Oh well...www.rima.com...some TY's...yeah, that'll work :wink:

I was about to order a 2nd 1620...but after seeing what the '40 can do (with 8x TY +R), I'll wait a bit. Quality over speed for me!

I've gotta pick up some of those "scratch proof" discs they've got. Wonder how good they are next to the old TDK Armor Plated discs? For that matter, wonder how those would do in the 1620/1640. Only 4x -Rs, but still...

CMC MAG has its good batches.

Its pretty easy to find MCC coded Verbatim, but its hard to find MCC made in singapore Verbatim media (other than their DVD9 media)

Fuji made in japan media is pretty easy to find here in Canada, but the media fuji gets from Taiyo Yuden isnt very good at all.
rahzel
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:17 am

rahzel wrote:Fuji made in japan media is pretty easy to find here in Canada, but the media fuji gets from Taiyo Yuden isnt very good at all.

Getting a LOT harder to find in a lot of places now... I taled with a Fuji distributor yesterday, and it looks like there is no plan to continue using Japanese media at all. Pretty much the same with Maxell.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:26 pm

Maxell will continue japanese own products for the Japanese market.

About FUJI. It's not likely that the new -R 16x media will be TY however it wasn't completely ruled out.
(However I have reasons to assume that FUJI probally wants to go with another companny as TY for that one.)
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:33 pm

RJW wrote:Maxell will continue japanese own products for the Japanese market.

True. I was mainly referring to the North American market.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:47 pm

Just purchased the Injet Printable 16X DVD+R's from Sam's Club. 100 Pack...made in Taiwan...MMC 004. Burn fine

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby Gary Kokkin on Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:51 am

RJW wrote:Maxell will continue japanese own products for the Japanese market.

About FUJI. It's not likely that the new -R 16x media will be TY however it wasn't completely ruled out.
(However I have reasons to assume that FUJI probally wants to go with another companny as TY for that one.)

Maxell 16x DVD-R are current export outside Japan-Many of them found here mentoned available via Maxell Europe (UK-HQ)

For Europe ,Fuji will operate again with Prodisc -MIDs will be FUJIFILM04 or ProdiscS05
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:06 pm

Yes in europe we have Maxell japanese media. But maxell europe won't guarantee that this will continue. (It depends on market demands !)
RJW
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers