Home News Reviews Forums Shop

In House Review - Hammer Storage Internal 16x DVD±RW

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

In House Review - Hammer Storage Internal 16x DVD±RW

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:06 pm

Today CDRLabs brings you an in depth look at Hammer Storage's new internal 16x DVD writer. Based on the Panasonic SW-9585, it not only sports some impressive specs, it supports most major DVD formats, including DVD-RAM. Hammer's new drive is capable of 16x DVD±R, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW and 4x DVD+R DL writing speeds and a maximum DVD read speed of 16x. On top of that, it can read and write to DVD-RAM media at 5x.

In this review we'll take a look at some of the features found on Hammer's new DVD writer and see how it compares to some of the 16x DVD±RW drives from the competition. Does Hammer's internal DVD writer have what it takes? You'll have to read the review to find out.

[url=http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=266]Image
Hammer Storage Internal 16x DVD±RW[/url]

As usual, if you have any comments or questions about this review or Hammer's new 16x DVD±RW, please post them in the forum using the link provided below.
Last edited by Ian on Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby eric93se on Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:33 pm

wow Ian, what a terrible drive :-?

when I saw your overall score, I was like WTF, then I saw performance was a 6, I'd give it a 5.

ALL +R and -R transfer tests were horrific. I'm surprised +R DL had acceptable transfer readings.

Ian, I was surprised you didn't have comparison results for the Scan Disc test for scratched Cd's.

Well, their software people have a lot of work ahead of them. :o
Benq DW-1640
ASUS 1608P2 >> Crossflashed to Pioneer 110 -> RAM+Bitsetting+removed riplock+RPC1 :D

Boost Mobile stole my minutes, then would rather loose me as a customer than give back my minutes (thieves).
eric93se
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:08 pm

eric93se wrote:Ian, I was surprised you didn't have comparison results for the Scan Disc test for scratched Cd's.

Normally I have the CD DAE comparisons but the drive failed to complete the test. #-o

Considering the SW-9585 was released in late fall, it should be much more polished than this. I'm still trying to get the IO Data firmware (the one with DVD-R DL support) to see if its any better.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Scour on Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:16 pm

Hello!

Not really good, but I don´t think it´s a bad drive. Overall there some better drives around, but thois time only LG have a allround-drive like that Panasonic/Matsushita-drive.

I contact Panasonic Germany and they wrote back that they don´t sell this drive in Germany :(
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers