Home News Reviews Forums Shop

What's the word on B7V9?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

What's the word on B7V9?

Postby cfitz on Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:52 pm

Firmware version B7V9 for the Benq 1620, that is. How is it? I've been out of touch for a while, so I haven't been keeping up.

I'm currently running B7P9 because on my drive it worked better than S and T. Is V worth the upgrade?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:28 pm

depends on what you're using.... but generally if you like B7P9, then you should stick with it.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:41 pm

Hello! :P
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Bhairav on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:45 pm

cfitz, welcome back.
:)
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:23 am

Hi guys! :D

Thanks for the feedback Rex. I don't do much DVD burning, and as a result my current supply of blank DVDs is limited to one spindle of TDK branded 8x TY DVD+R. I haven't actually opened that spindle yet, so I guess I'll stick with P at least until I see how it does with those blanks.

As for my problems with S and T, I don't remember the exact details (despite gmail's admonition to never throw anything away, I still am in the habit of purging my mailbox folders), but I believe the issue I had was with CD-RW, of all things. A disc I could read and write with P was unusable with S/T.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:39 am

cfitz wrote:Hi guys! :D

Thanks for the feedback Rex. I don't do much DVD burning, and as a result my current supply of blank DVDs is limited to one spindle of TDK branded 8x TY DVD+R. I haven't actually opened that spindle yet, so I guess I'll stick with P at least until I see how it does with those blanks.

As for my problems with S and T, I don't remember the exact details (despite gmail's admonition to never throw anything away, I still am in the habit of purging my mailbox folders), but I believe the issue I had was with CD-RW, of all things. A disc I could read and write with P was unusable with S/T.

cfitz

Heh, well the BenQ DW1620 was never great with CD-Rs, and even worse with CD-RWs. If you have continued problems with that, do give B7V9 a try, since I think they tweaked that a little bit specifically (I might be wrong on that, but it sticks out in my head as being right).

So where you been lately?
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:35 am

Thanks Rex. It looks like your recollection is correct (no surprise) according to the Benq USA support site (see point 4):

1. Incease factory OPC area for DVD-R and DVD+R 16X writing test.
2. Reboot issue with nForce chipset_P
3.4, G7T93. flash fail thru 1394 interface
4. Cannot Perform End-Track_CDR/RW_Nero
5. Update writing strategy (MJC 16x DVD+R, Giga 16x DVD-R, Ritek 16x DVD-R F1)

It is nice to have everything working at its best, but I don't want to bork 8x DVD burning in an effort to improve CD burning or 16x DVD burning (the primary areas that B7V9 seems to address), since I really don't do much if any of the latter. I have a dedicated CD-RW drive in the system that I use as my primary drive for burning CD-R and CD-RW, and I don't have any 16x DVD blanks.

I haven't been anywhere special lately. Mainly I've just reduced the amount of time I spend on the Internet in general. How about you? Anything special going on?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to DVD Writers