Home News Reviews Forums Shop

TY "mini rant"

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

TY "mini rant"

Postby jberry on Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:50 am

can anyone tell me why TY does not make a nice silk screened surface like Verbatim and others? This silver surface is really getting on my nerves with fingerprints, etc.....would like a nice surface, or am I being too superficial :P
jberry
CD-RW Player

Re: TY "mini rant"

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:03 pm

jberry wrote:or am I being too superficial :P

Yes... yes you are. But you aren't alone in this.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby jberry on Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:17 pm

now dolph....you have contacts with everyone....do you think they will make a "proper" dvd :D That is, same TY quality but nicer writing surface?
jberry
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:09 pm

jberry wrote:now dolph....you have contacts with everyone....do you think they will make a "proper" dvd :D That is, same TY quality but nicer writing surface?

Heheh, well.... I could have one made for you without too much trouble. It's getting the stores to agree to buy them at the increased cost that causes problems :wink:

TY themselves probably won't release such a media themselves in North America.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby jberry on Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:15 pm

curious....how much more is it per DVD to make a "standard" Verbatim, Maxell, etc surface?
jberry
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:32 pm

jberry wrote:curious....how much more is it per DVD to make a "standard" Verbatim, Maxell, etc surface?

Umm, if you want to compare standard to standard, you're looking at Thermal printable media from Verbatim and Maxell, and both of which offer the exact same surface type then (I.E. Shiny Silver). The difference is that Taiyo Yuden doesn't offer a consumer disc.... they also don't outsource their media like Verbatim and Maxell.

To make Taiyo Yuden look like a consumer disc, you're looking at probably +$0.05 per disc.... if you print maybe 100k or 200k at a time. Depending on what is done with the disc, and the labour involved.

In a time where consumers fight over EVERY PENNY on CDR/DVDR media... not many places want to take this kind of risk.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Buy the thermal white face

Postby pinballnut on Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:02 pm

Buy the thermal white face they have a great writing surface
pinballnut
Buffer Underrun

Postby Gen-An on Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:12 pm

Well TY does have a consumer disc brand (That's), it's just unfortunately not sold in the Western Hemisphere to my knowlege :evil:
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Re: Buy the thermal white face

Postby rahzel on Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:35 pm

pinballnut wrote:Buy the thermal white face they have a great writing surface

yeah but theyre quite a bit more expensive...
rahzel
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers