Home News Reviews Forums Shop

NexxTech DVD-R's - 6.95 for 25 pack Circuit City July 17-23

Got a hot deal you want to share? Need one?

NexxTech DVD-R's - 6.95 for 25 pack Circuit City July 17-23

Postby BillyG on Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:01 am

NexxTech DVD-R's. Never seen this brand before so I decided to take a chance...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 02RG20 ]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 02RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

$6.95 for a 25 pack this week at Circuit City, good deal if you like Verbatim's. (some people do, some people dont)
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:37 am

I *THINK* this is mostly a CMC OEM brand... but it may be Prodisc.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Battlefield 2 (DVD edition) on sale for $35 at Circuit City

Postby Alektron on Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:59 pm

I bought one 25-pack spindle of DVD-R (8x) yesterday. The disc ID begins with "CMC Mag". I haven't checked the burn quality yet, but will. It's made in Taiwan, and sold as a Canadian brand. It's imported to the USA. So strangely enough, it's still cheaper than the well known brands. Well, this is a discount price.

There is one brand that is cheaper - GQ. I've never tried it though. They sell at about $9 or $10 for a 50-pack spindle of 8x DVD+/-R at Fry's. I usually buy Verbatim 16x DVD+R.

If only DUAL LAYER prices would be falling this much. I want an ASP of no higher than $2.

By the way, the reason I went to Circuity City is that Battlefield 2 (DVD edition) is on sale for $35. The average pre-shipping & tax price on-line is $45 to $50.
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby cbboy777 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:43 am

MCC media is good stuff. MCC04 is on par with TY's. MCC03 and MCCR02G02 is not far behind. If you want some of these, Newegg.com has Verbatim -R (MCC02RG02) for 27.99 free shipping for a 100 pk. Very good deal.
cbboy777
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:17 am

cbboy777 wrote:MCC media is good stuff. MCC04 is on par with TY's. MCC03 and MCCR02G02 is not far behind. If you want some of these, Newegg.com has Verbatim -R (MCC02RG02) for 27.99 free shipping for a 100 pk. Very good deal.

Yeah.... I'm currently trying to figure out what's up with that media. I'm pretty sure it's a Prodisc OEM, but I haven't gotten 100% confirmation on that (specifically talking about the package selling for $27.99 at Newegg).
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby cbboy777 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:11 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
cbboy777 wrote:MCC media is good stuff. MCC04 is on par with TY's. MCC03 and MCCR02G02 is not far behind. If you want some of these, Newegg.com has Verbatim -R (MCC02RG02) for 27.99 free shipping for a 100 pk. Very good deal.

Yeah.... I'm currently trying to figure out what's up with that media. I'm pretty sure it's a Prodisc OEM, but I haven't gotten 100% confirmation on that (specifically talking about the package selling for $27.99 at Newegg).

Yea, even if its prodisc OEM, i've read they use MCC's dyes anyway. Still good media. For $30.02 delivered for 100 PK, that's 30 cents a disc. Worth it i think even if its prodisc instead of CMC. The Singapore made ones are almost nonexistent to us folks in the US.

I ordered mine today and am expecting it at my door tommorrow. Talk about fast delivery. It kinda helps that i live near where Newegg is based. I'll post my findings. Specifically the hub numbers for you.
cbboy777
Buffer Underrun

Postby cbboy777 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:24 pm

Okay just got my Verbatim -R in today from Newegg. MID codes is MCC 02R G02. Inner hub serial number has - in between them, so they are Prodisc made, not CMC. Good stuff.
cbboy777
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:14 pm

cbboy777 wrote:Okay just got my Verbatim -R in today from Newegg. MID codes is MCC 02R G02. Inner hub serial number has - in between them, so they are Prodisc made, not CMC. Good stuff.

Although I've never tried Verbatim's OEM Prodisc made MCC 02RG20, I've heard that other people with the BenQ DW1620 have had poor results from it, when CMC made and MCC made MCC 02RG20 have worked fine. Prodisc does SOMETHING differently, although I've never been able to figure out just what it is.

Personally, I have complete faith in Prodisc's ability to screw things up, even if MCC is giving them the dye.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby cbboy777 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:58 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
cbboy777 wrote:Okay just got my Verbatim -R in today from Newegg. MID codes is MCC 02R G02. Inner hub serial number has - in between them, so they are Prodisc made, not CMC. Good stuff.

Although I've never tried Verbatim's OEM Prodisc made MCC 02RG20, I've heard that other people with the BenQ DW1620 have had poor results from it, when CMC made and MCC made MCC 02RG20 have worked fine. Prodisc does SOMETHING differently, although I've never been able to figure out just what it is.

Personally, I have complete faith in Prodisc's ability to screw things up, even if MCC is giving them the dye.

Here's a scan of the discs i just received. You know what, Im getting the high PI error spikes at the beginning of disc and at the end with my BenQ burning at max speed on my TY's and Verb's (16x and 12x). Do you know how i can correct that other than burning at a lower speed? I just upgraded from B7T9 to B7V9. Would that help?

BTW the attached burn was using B7T9. I upgraded to B7V9 after this burn......
Attachments
BENQ____DVD_DD_DW1620_B7V9_20-July-2005_16_42.png
BENQ____DVD_DD_DW1620_B7V9_20-July-2005_16_42.png (55.61 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
cbboy777
Buffer Underrun

Postby noycan on Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:30 pm

I purchased the NexxTech, and they are CMC Magnetics AE1. They will only burn at 8x on my NEC 3500 with stock firmware.

BTW, I have been looking for some made-in-Japan Maxell DVD-R's, but everything I could find was made in Taiwan. The made-in-Japan was great media.
noycan
CD-RW Thug

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:08 pm

cbboy777 wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:

Here's a scan of the discs i just received. You know what, Im getting the high PI error spikes at the beginning of disc and at the end with my BenQ burning at max speed on my TY's and Verb's (16x and 12x). Do you know how i can correct that other than burning at a lower speed? I just upgraded from B7T9 to B7V9. Would that help?

BTW the attached burn was using B7T9. I upgraded to B7V9 after this burn......

Hrm... B7V9 does fix a lot of stuff so it might solve your problems. Personally, I don't have any recorded test data on the DW1620 with TY 16x DVD-Rs or Verbatim 16x DVD-Rs unfortunately, so I have nothing to quickly refer to, and my systems are too busy with the DW1640 to run the tests right now. If B7V9 doesn't help, you could always try the 'ol reliable B7P9 which many people have found the most stable in many cases.

Good luck :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Alektron on Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:20 pm

I made a backup of a DVD movie recently onto Nexxtech DVD-R. We watched the backup copy of the movie on 55 inch (140cm) widescreen, and it seems good from a subjective point of view. I haven't done a technical analysis.
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:23 pm

Alektron wrote:I made a backup of a DVD movie recently onto Nexxtech DVD-R. We watched the backup copy of the movie on 55 inch (140cm) widescreen, and it seems good from a subjective point of view. I haven't done a technical analysis.

Sometimes it really comes down to if the media performs well enough for your own personal requirements. And no number of tests or scans will ever change that.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:04 pm

This is the best statement I have seen, if recorded DVD VIDEO works perfect in stand alone DVD player and you can watch the movie without any "Jitter, Noise or Jumping" then you should be satisfied with your recording program and don't get fascinated with PIF/PI or Scan or other testing.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:07 pm

TCAS wrote:This is the best statement I have seen, if recorded DVD VIDEO works perfect in stand alone DVD player and you can watch the movie without any "Jitter, Noise or Jumping" then you should be satisfied with your recording program and don't get fascinated with PIF/PI or Scan or other testing.

The only thing that really remains in that case, is whether or not you are concerned with it playing in OTHER people's hardware, and how concerned you are with the lifespan of the disc. However, PIE/PIF scans aren't going to tell you very much about EITHER question anyways.

I've always been curious why so many people with so little need or understanding about media scans INSIST on doing it :o

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Alektron on Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:15 pm

Good point both of you. One of my friends at work said that he had bought an Emprex 16x DL DVD writer a couple months back. When he used Memorex 16x DVD+R (If I remember right), they played fine in his DVD writer, but didn't play in his DVD player! I suggested a couple tests for him to try to determine the cause. He discovered that he had to lower the burner speed to 8x. But why is this? I guess because the error rate was too high at 16x Write. Without knowing the error tolerance of one's own DVD player, all one can do is minimize the technical error rates. This can have an impact in strictly data DVD disc burning, is that correct? In other words, if you burn a non video DVD+R, and there is too much jitter, some of the data may not be in the backup. Let's say it's a game, but when I install the game, one of the files has a damaged header, and the main application won't load it.
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Return to Hot Deals