Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Prodisc 16x DVD+R certified

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Prodisc 16x DVD+R certified

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:49 pm

Is anyone else getting tired of this lame ass Prodisc crap propaganda?

Now they've certified their media, but we aren't allowed to know who certified it??? :o

And on top of that, it isn't really the MEDIA being certified, it's the MID code. So once again (like with their 8x media) Prodisc might simply have gotten permission from Verbatim to use their MID code on occasion.

Since Prodisc is also well known for making many variations of the same type of media (what was it, 4 or 5 different 8x DVD-Rs alone?), we have *NO* way of knowing what media from Prodisc we should even look out for if we want their mystery certified discs... but I suppose it doesn't matter, since Prodisc switches what media they ship almost every batch anyways (and no, distributors can NOT request one over the other, and often have no idea what they are getting until it arrives!!).

So does anyone have any guesses as to what MID was actually "certified"... or who this mystery company is?
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:05 pm

I'd really like to see some other manufacturers for the Mitsubishi 16x code (MCC004). So far, all that's available in the US is that made by CMC Magnetics, though I hear in Europe and in SE Asia discs made in Singapore by MKM itself are available. That said, I hope your speculation about Prodisc and MKM is true.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:47 pm

Hello!

I don´t understand what some manufacturers think. But it´s not only Prodisc, Ritek made similar things. Think of the R04; some writers support it, maybe only at 12x, but some writers do a good job with it. And now they´re switched to P16? And they had more revisions of R03

Overall, my opinion is that Prodisc is quite good media, compared with some other brands.

BTW, did you ever have a Prodisc 16x-media? In Germany is only 16x +R-media avaible from Verbatim, TDK, Sony, Optodisc, Ritek and Ricoh (c´t have tested 16x Maxell, but I never seen it in stores).

And DVD-R I´ve only seen from Verbatim and Sony
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:15 pm

Scour wrote:Hello!

I don´t understand what some manufacturers think. But it´s not only Prodisc, Ritek made similar things. Think of the R04; some writers support it, maybe only at 12x, but some writers do a good job with it. And now they´re switched to P16? And they had more revisions of R03

You know it's funny... I was just about to add a comment at the end of my post about how Ritek was becoming just as bad as Prodisc for multiple media types.... but I figured it was too much of a rant post as it was :P

Scour wrote:Overall, my opinion is that Prodisc is quite good media, compared with some other brands.

That's probably because you don't have to listen to all the complaints about them that I do... It's funny though... no matter how many times a company swears to me they'll never carry Prodisc again because of all the crap they put them through, they always seem to bring them in again :o (and of course, it leads to more sob stories to me.... :roll: )

Scour wrote:BTW, did you ever have a Prodisc 16x-media? In Germany is only 16x +R-media avaible from Verbatim, TDK, Sony, Optodisc, Ritek and Ricoh (c´t have tested 16x Maxell, but I never seen it in stores).

Yes, I have 2 types of Prodisc 16x DVD-R and DVD+R each, which will be included in my DW1640 review. PRODISCR04, PRODISCR05, PRODISCS05 and PRODISCF02.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby jsl on Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:35 pm

Scour wrote:BTW, did you ever have a Prodisc 16x-media? In Germany is only 16x +R-media avaible from Verbatim, TDK, Sony, Optodisc, Ritek and Ricoh (c´t have tested 16x Maxell, but I never seen it in stores).

Maxell 16x discs are in stock at for example alternate.de and there are many more 16x DVD+R types available if you look around a bit, for example by CMC, Daxon, Infomedia and MBI. Prodisc has shown up under Memorex brand (not sure if in Europe or Germany though).

For 16x DVD-R you also have CMC, Maxell, TDK, TY and probably a couple more if you search little.
jsl
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:22 pm

jsl wrote:For 16x DVD-R you also have CMC, Maxell, TDK, TY and probably a couple more if you search little.

The problem is, that only some shops list the media-codes. And some shops I buy at have only Verbatim DVD-R

dolphinius_rex wrote:
Yes, I have 2 types of Prodisc 16x DVD-R and DVD+R each, which will be included in my DW1640 review. PRODISCR04, PRODISCR05, PRODISCS05 and PRODISCF02.

Wow. Never see one of that media here.
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:35 pm

Scour wrote:Wow. Never see one of that media here.

Some of it's already for sale here in Canada. Memorex is using some as well. Other then that, sometimes it helps to know a few people with connections :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:48 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
Some of it's already for sale here in Canada. Memorex is using some as well.

Never saw here 16x Memorex, and all other Memorex DVD-media I get where CMC

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:26 pm

The situation isn't much better in the US. To my knowledge Maxell 16x media is nowhere to be found. Memorex is a gamble as you can get Prodisc, CMC or Ricoh. 16x TY -R is only available online in bulk. So as it stands the only sure thing in retail stores is Verbatim 16x media.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:31 am

Gen-An wrote:The situation isn't much better in the US. To my knowledge Maxell 16x media is nowhere to be found. Memorex is a gamble as you can get Prodisc, CMC or Ricoh. 16x TY -R is only available online in bulk. So as it stands the only sure thing in retail stores is Verbatim 16x media.

Maxell brand 16x DVD+Rs are available in Canada at local Western Canadian London Drugs retail locations. Otherwise you need to know someone who distributes for Maxell's Professional line, and they can order them in. So far, DVD-R 16x is REALLY hard to get... unless you can get someone in Maxell to special order airship it from Japan, which takes better contacts then the +R :wink:

Actually, in my review you will find quite a very large selection of 16x media tested, as you can already see from the spreadsheet I released previously.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:03 am

These days most manufacturers use more as one code.

Also I take all +R approval as one big joke except for Philips/SONY/RICOH.

It's not one of these 3 I assume or else Prodisc would probally have made it much more clear.
Because these 3 labs are the official verifacation labs for DVD+RW alliance.
Now I think RICOH and SONY labs info is not available to third parties it seems.
For that reason I only take Philips list for +R approval and that list doesn't include any Prodisc 16x disc. It does include infomedia 16x DVD+R !!!. (Bad supported but not bad and currently used by Philips as 16x DVD+R)

My guess for Prodisc is that Pioneer now supports a disc at 16x on there drive with the latest firmware which one ? Hmm I have to check up on my data. However I don't think it's needed because it's not one of the big 3 which I stated befor.

Oh and about MCC004. MBIL made in India version exists in Europe !
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:10 am

Scour wrote:Hello!

That's 2 revision for the R03. Also quite some media has some revisions over time for instance TY 4x DVD+R !
P16 is quite new it seems. I only know 2 stores were I can get this one.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby jsl on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:15 am

RJW wrote:That's 2 revision for the R03.

Besides rev. 01 and rev. 02 I've noticed that there seems to be two versions of rev. 02 or at least the 3rd and 4th lines in the physical format information differs in several bytes between for example the Ridata media here and the Maxell media here.
jsl
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers