Home News Reviews Forums Shop

"Balance" problem playing music CDs

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

"Balance" problem playing music CDs

Postby NuGuy on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:11 pm

I bought a few music CDs today. (I usually play them on my old Hitachi DVD player, and use my fairly old LiteOn burner only for burning.) The Hitachi did not recognise one of the CDs, so I put it in the LiteOn, and it seemed to work just fine. However, there was a diminished volume level coming from the left speaker. I tried the CD once again in the Hitachi, and it was recognised this time (don't know why...), and the music was well balanced, left and right, and also seemed to have a greater subwoofer response also.

I used a CD with a soft brush to clean the lens of the LiteOn -- no difference. Before I break down the computer and check for loose (from vibration?) connections of the cable to the sound card, can anyone suggest a different or more likely cause of the imbalanced playback from the LiteOn? (Both drives use the same software.) Any help appreciated.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

....never mind....

Postby NuGuy on Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:18 pm

...my problem was due to a stupid oversight.... Thanks anyway.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:21 pm

what was the oversight ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby NuGuy on Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:54 pm

(Remember that I never use the Lite On for anything other than burning.... I installed this myself as my computer's second optical drive.)

When I open the software programs that allow volume and balance adjustments, the primary volume control (as well as several other control features) affect both players' outputs in turn, as it should. I think, "That's that...!" In spite of this I study all the slider buttons (there are several pair) to see if any are unequal (out of balance), and wouldn't you know it, there is an AUXILIARY pair of volume buttons, and they are NOT set equally in balance. After the brief hot flash of embarrassment passes, I reset them, and my problem is gone.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion