Home News Reviews Forums Shop

USB 2.0 FIREWIRE DOUBLE LAYER DVD±RW CDRW BURNER WRITER

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

USB 2.0 FIREWIRE DOUBLE LAYER DVD±RW CDRW BURNER WRITER

Postby DaddyO on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:20 pm

I purchased this device from a vendor on Ebay. When I first received the unit, I hooked it up via USB and it had a little problem installing but I didn't think much of it and kept it rather than return. It has installed a couple of times but I didn't need it at the time and I disconnected it.

This is the problem: everytime I attempt to install the device, I receive a (code 10) This device will not start. I have attempted to install it several times with the same results. It came bundled with a USB Storage Adapter V3. Since the one on my Dell, which is XP home edition, didn't work I installed the V3. Got the same message. I deleted all bus controllers and rebooted and still got the same message when I tried to install. I contacted the Ebay vendor for assistance and he was no help. He didn't know the manufacturer and the device has no markings as to maker. Searched microsoft for issues such as mine and no help. Looked on various message boards with nothing. Any one have any suggestions before I can this thing and purchase a new device. This device has worked before, but now I don't have a clue.
DaddyO
Buffer Underrun

Postby Scour on Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:39 pm

Hello!

Do you have SP1 installed? Does your PC have USB 2.0?
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby DaddyO on Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:48 pm

Yes I have USB 2 and all Microsoft updates available to date. I even went so far as to purchase a USB hub with external power because it was suggested on another message board.
DaddyO
Buffer Underrun

Postby Scour on Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:48 am

Hello!

Is it a 5,25"-drive or a slim type?
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:29 am

did you try hooking it up with the FireWire connection? perhaps the USB hardware on the drive is messed up.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby DaddyO on Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:36 pm

Question #1 It is 5.25
Question #2 I don't have firewire only USB 2.0
DaddyO
Buffer Underrun

Postby bill on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:07 pm

DaddyO wrote:I don't have firewire only USB 2.0

Bummer.

Have you tried another usb cable?

How about a link to the e-bay auction or a pic so we can see the unit?

Is your Dell a laptop or desk top model?

Do you have other usb devices that do work?
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby DaddyO on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:54 pm

This is the device I purchased.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:EF:US:1

The picture in the ad is of my device. The seller has other devices with the same picture but a little different details. These are their links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-FIREWIRE-52 ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-FIREWIRE-DO ... dZViewItem

My pc is a dell desktop Dimension 4700 purchased 11/4/2004.

Yes I purchased a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 cable and the only thing different was during install, xp told me that i needed a high speed usb hub on my computer to get full functionality.

I also have a HP Photosmart printer that works fine with the original usb cable I received with the burner. Also my dsl modem feeds out of the same set of usb sockets. I moved the cable for the burner to different sockets and same result.

I want you all to know that I appreciate all the help.
DaddyO
Buffer Underrun

Postby bill on Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:33 am

Without vent holes or a fan that enclosure may have overheated. I went over to newegg's web site and couldn't find a similar enclosure so no idea what the chipset might be..

If you have a defective drive installed in the computer I would remove it and then try the external drive one more time. Try using one of the usb ports on the back of the Dell, preferably one near the top of the case. If that doesn't work I would then remove the writer from the external enclosure and test it on the Dells IDE cable. That procedure should help you identify the source of the problem and you may be able to salvage the drive or the enclosure.

Do you know how to connect the drive internally?
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby DaddyO on Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:45 am

No, I do not know how to connect the drive internally. I have tried to remove the dvd drive from the case and failed. I thought I might be able to find some identifying marks but I couldn't get it open.
DaddyO
Buffer Underrun

Postby Alektron on Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:44 pm

I'm not sure if I can help or not, but I do have some questions, and maybe I can think of something...

It seems to be a third party enclosure. Inside is a Lite-on internal IDE DVD burner, model Lite-On SOHW-832S. The enclosure adapts from the IDE to USB and provides power. But can you find any model number on the back or bottom of the enclosure?

Also, which USB drivers are you using? The original Windows XP?
One question I have: "USB Storage Adapter V3" is a software file on a CD? Are you sure this software is not supposed to be only for Windows98?

You are trying to run the external unit from one of the built-in USB connections for your Dell, right?
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby DaddyO on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:18 am

Desperate times sometimes require desperate measures. I took a 'bigger' screwdriver and got the enclosure off. What have I got to loose, right? What I found was a DVD/CD REWRITABLE DRIVE MODEL SOHW-832S made by LITE-ON IT CORP. The enclosure itself has no identifying marks.

"It
seems to be a third party enclosure. Inside is a Lite-on internal IDE DVD burner, model Lite-On SOHW-832S. The enclosure adapts from the IDE to USB and provides power."
You are right on the money. The jumper is set to master, if that matters.

As far as the USB Storage Adapter V3, it came with the device and when I opened the disk, the disk had options for all modern windows os including xp. From what I understand the USB Storage adapter with xp should do the job but doesn't.

Also, yes I am trying to run it from the onboard usb connection on my Dell. I tried what the previous posted requested about moving to another connection and I did what he asked and got the same response.
DaddyO
Buffer Underrun

Postby Alektron on Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:28 pm

By the way, did you receive a user manual with the drive?
I have a link that is better than nothing:
http://www.acomdata.com/hdp/fs.html

I did some research with Google and found some similar devices. There is one company called Acomdata. Here are my conclusions:

1. Uninstall the "USB Storage Adapter V3". I am 80% sure that this is only for Windows98. Windows XP should not require any driver be installed from a non-Windows CD.

2. Re-boot and let the USB reconfigure the way it was originally.

What you may want to do if you want the best access speed is buy a Firewire adapter card. It can go faster than USB 2.0. But this should't be a "solution" for the problem that you have.
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby bill on Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:54 am

DaddyO wrote:Desperate times sometimes require desperate measures.

:lol:

If what Alektron mentioned doesn't resolve the problem you can test the DVD writer by using the computers internal IDE cable.

For clarity, please confirm a few things:

1- You currently have a internal DVD or DVD writer that doesn't work???? Correct?
2- Are there any other hardware items not working in your Dell?
3- Please list all drives accessible on the front of your Dell. For example, one floppy, one cd player, one dvd player etc.. Please list the number of internal hard drives, ordinarily one.
4- Is your Dell still under warranty?

What's bothering me is that in your first post you said the external drive did work and now it doesn't. That makes me think/guess that the enclosure, the enclosures transformer or the dvd writer is defective. You have eliminated the usb cable being defective in subsequent posts.

If your willing and accept the risk I don't mind trying to talk you through the process of testing the writer internally. Have you ever done any work inside of a computer case? Do you feel comfortable working inside your Dell? Are you aware of the master and slave positions on a IDE cable?
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby DaddyO on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:09 pm

Sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to the board. On your previous post I received an email notification from cdr forums of a new post on this thread but didn't receive one this time.

In the meantime I went to the Lite-on website and downloaded an operators manual for the dvd burner. It has the how-to install instructions for connecting via ide. I wasn't familiar with the term ide but after reading the user manual I know what you are talking about. I had hooked up a cd burner and an extra hard drive on my old Presario before I bought the Dell. Actually, that was my plan B if a way to continue with the USB wasn't forthcoming. I was planning to remove the DVD/CD reader and hookup the burner to see if it indeed did work.

This is the edited version of my current post. After reading the last two post, I decided to go ahead and disconnect the dvd reader on my pc. I took the Lite-On Burner out of the external case and hooked it up via ide. It worked!!! Then I thought what the heck. I already had the dvd reader sitting there on my desk and the external case plus usb interface. Yeah. I hooked it up to an usb socket. It worked with no problems. Go figure. :D Thats right I swapped the burner with the reader and they both work. Thanks for all the help.
DaddyO
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:30 am

great!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to General Hardware Discussion