Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Need Help With Converting

DVD and Blu-ray Disc authoring, editing, copying and transcoding.

Need Help With Converting

Postby Kizz on Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:30 am

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I am a noob, so bear with me please.

I just installed a NEC 3540A. This came with Nero Suite software. I "thought" that I could just install this thing and start buring some home movies that I had downloaded to my hard drive from my Digital 8 camcorder. This isn't the case because the files I have are WMV and Nero looks for files types I've never heard of (.bup, .vob .ifo)

So now what do I have to do to burn my WMV movies to make a DVD?

Is there a free program that converts my WMV files? Or do I have to go out a spend money I don't have to convert them?

I am frustrated to say the least and any help would be most welcomed.

Thanks
Kizz
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:24 am

i think what you need is NeroVision Express, part of the Nero software suite.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Kizz on Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:10 pm

So there is noting free out there that will do what I need?

Thanks
Kizz
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:48 pm

It should be that which you already have.
Look for Nero SmartStart.
Look for video capture.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Kizz on Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:49 pm

CowboySlim wrote:It should be that which you already have.
Look for Nero SmartStart.
Look for video capture.

I already have the video files on my PC. I've titled them and edited them and they are very nice, but I now need to burn them to a DVD.

Thanks
Kizz
Buffer Underrun

Postby eric93se on Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:52 pm

I'm pretty sure nero recode won't let you convert a mpg file into a regular dvd (Vob files), it will let you convert it into nero digital compressed, but chances are you dvd player won't run that disc.

You can try burning your mpg file directly onto a dvd (as long as it will fit) and see if your home dvd player runs. I think you need to make sure you use the udf format or something, since there's a good chance you home dvd player won't play a 2+ gb file. You have a lot of google searching ahead of you :)
Benq DW-1640
ASUS 1608P2 >> Crossflashed to Pioneer 110 -> RAM+Bitsetting+removed riplock+RPC1 :D

Boost Mobile stole my minutes, then would rather loose me as a customer than give back my minutes (thieves).
eric93se
CD-RW Player

Postby Jim on Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:52 pm

Here is what I do for my Digital8 transfers:

1.) I transfer the video raw as an .AVI to the harddrive using the free program WINDV.

2.) I then convert it to MPG2 using TMPGEnc Xpress 3.0 (it has a trial version).

3.) I convert the MPG2 to DVD format (.vob, ect.) using TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.6 (it has a trial version).

4.) I burn the files created by TMPGEnc DVD to a DVD using Nero.

There are all in one programs that make things easier, but this method is so I can retain the maximum video quality throughout the conversion. I also use Adobe Premiere to edit the raw .AVI file in between steps 2 and 3 if I'm putting together multiple segments of video for wedding, ect.

There are excellent tutorials on www.videohelp.com.
Jim
CD-RW Player

Postby Kizz on Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:37 am

Jim wrote:Here is what I do for my Digital8 transfers:

1.) I transfer the video raw as an .AVI to the harddrive using the free program WINDV.

2.) I then convert it to MPG2 using TMPGEnc Xpress 3.0 (it has a trial version).

3.) I convert the MPG2 to DVD format (.vob, ect.) using TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.6 (it has a trial version).

4.) I burn the files created by TMPGEnc DVD to a DVD using Nero.

There are all in one programs that make things easier, but this method is so I can retain the maximum video quality throughout the conversion. I also use Adobe Premiere to edit the raw .AVI file in between steps 2 and 3 if I'm putting together multiple segments of video for wedding, ect.

There are excellent tutorials on www.videohelp.com.

Jim,

Thanks so much for the information. It sure seems like a lot of work. Had I known this would be such a pain in the arse I would have bought a stand alone unit.

Thanks again!
Kizz
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD and Blu-ray Disc Authoring