Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Prodisc Premium DVD-R - anybody tested

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Prodisc Premium DVD-R - anybody tested

Postby Halc on Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:08 pm

Hi,

has anybody tested Prodisc's Premium DVD-R range extensively with modern 16x burners?

What's the verdict?

It seems to be really hard to find in EU.
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:54 pm

Prodisc makes Premium media? :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:54 pm

Hello!

Never see this Premium-Media. Which brand? Do you mean 16x-media or 8x? Never see in EU 16x-media from Prodisc.
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:06 am

Check the end of the following PDF file:

http://www.prodisc.com.au/files/idm_article.pdf

And I don't mean 16x certified discs. Sorry for the confusion.

I mean discs (of any speed certification) that have been tested (at any speed) on modern 16x burners.

And by "Premium" I mean just their own product differentation label, not any inherent quality measure :)

Is this just the disc type that uses Mitsui's phthalocyanine and their own factories?

Or is it manufactured by Prodisc at all?

Is it the same as MAM-A DVD-R Archive Gold:

http://mam-a.com/Archive_gold_image.html

Could this have been the D2 disc type in the NIST stability study?

Any info from you insiders?

Thanks!

rgds,
Halc

PS That hardwarezone thread is interesting. If you go back to page 17 of that thread and start reading forwards. Lots of scans of various dvd-r discs and their shelf-life (unburned) @ high relative humidity. Some nasty surprises there. This echoes the sentiments of another user at CDfreaks: dvd-archival is not ready for prime time, unless we find out which was the disc labelled D2 in the NIST stability study. Even many quality discs don't cut it in normal (non-laboratory) humid conditions. They just fail.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthre ... 75&page=17
Last edited by Halc on Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:31 am

Also, has anybody tried:

Emtec DVD+R Digital Video Gold
http://www.emtec-international.com/page ... idSSRub=19
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:14 am

last things first. :D
I haven't tried the MPO disc's but the EMTEC GOLD cd-r's I can get. I will try to see if the same store now also stocks the DVD+R's the plan was that they might do it in the future depending on some factors.

then prodisc.
Is this just the disc type that uses Mitsui's phthalocyanine and their own factories?

The cd-r is probally the gold disc prodisc makes (also for Mitsui in the past ) with Mitsui dye and gold.
The dvd-r is not so likely to be based on Mitsui technology.

About MAM :evil:
I cannot recommend usseing these guys.
1 Misinforming the public conntinious times 2 Abusseing codes 3 Zero response on critical questions. Sorry to say but MAM's behaviour suggests that there isn't quality any more 4 Silver disc's showeing signs of ageing in 2 years real life non harsh conditions.(PC-ACTIVE !!)

Oh and befor people say MAM has such great dye technology yeah they might but what does it matter:
1 If you shop your disc's from somewhere else or may I conclude that MAM produced the DVD recordables themselves usseing a CHEAP CYANINE dye !!
2 If you can not produce quality (How manny batches have been recalled !) or reports about problematic behaviour.

3 If you can not get decent support for that great technology.

4 If you reflective layer just becomes the critical point ( See point 4 above)
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:50 am

Halc wrote:Also, has anybody tried:

Emtec DVD+R Digital Video Gold
http://www.emtec-international.com/page ... idSSRub=19

I've tried them. They sent me *1* disc....

Nothing overly special really, but not a bad disc on drives that support the media code.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers