Home News Reviews Forums Shop

PX-716AL CD Write Question

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

PX-716AL CD Write Question

Postby JesusFreak on Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:45 am

Hey there. I'm taking a look at the PX-716AL DVDRW and when I try and write CD's it limits me to 40x not the rated 48x. I've got the latest version of Plextools Pro installed and have enabled SpeedRead, and adjusted the speed of the drive up from it's default 32x CD Write (that's how it burns before Plextools Pro installed). I'm using the 1.01 firmware (latest), and no matter what disks I use, the read & write speed is capped at 40x. When I adjust the speed to 48x in Plextools, it immediately snaps it back to 40x.

This is irritating me because it's supposed to be a 48x CD Reader/Writer.

Thanks in advance
- WaterCooled to Perfection @ www.benscustomcases.com with the ZeusBox II W/C! -
JesusFreak
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:47 am

I would try different media. It sounds like the drive doesnt' support the media you're using at 48x.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:49 am

yeah. what media are you trying to burn ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Gen-An on Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:55 am

You need to have a CD-ROM or CD-R in the drive when selecting the 48x read speed setting in Plextools. As for the write speed topping off at 40x, I agree with the others, its a media issue. Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs usually reach 48x from my experience, as do CMC CD-Rs and I think Prodisc (I haven't tried Ritek), but for some strange reason Verbatim/Mitsubishi 52x discs are limited to 32x burning on Plextor DVD writers.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby JesusFreak on Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:46 pm

I've tried Verbatim 52x Super Azo, Memorex 48x, Princo 52x, Taiyo Yuden 48x & 52x, Gigastore 48x, Ritek 48x & 52x as well as Memorex Black CDR's. I've disabled PowerRec as well, and still can't do better than 40x. Some of the media I'm using is even on the Plextor approved list.

As far as reading CDs, I've used pressed CD's such as Battlefield, Battlefield 2, UT2004, Doom3, Jedi Knight, Snowblind and KOTOR I and II.

I'm having a hard time believing that the drive is that fickle on media. It may be, but holy crap man. That'd be insane.

All of these disks work great in my PX-716A, but not so much in the AL.
- WaterCooled to Perfection @ www.benscustomcases.com with the ZeusBox II W/C! -
JesusFreak
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:59 pm

if all that media works fine in your 716A but not in the 716AL, i would say at this point that it's the drive's fault.
email Plextor tech support and complain. they should release an updated firmware to fix this issue.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Crippled For Quality

Postby JesusFreak on Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:15 pm

I got ahold of Plextor Tech support and found out some interesting things. . . at least according to the Tech I talked to.

He says, (and I quote) - "The PX-716AL is not meant to be a high speed drive. It contains different hardware than the PX-716A, and it not actually meant to write at 48x."

I replied "Interesting. Specs say it is capable of 48x writing?"

He responded, "Yes, but why do you need to write at 48x?"

"If the drive says it can write at 48x, I want to be able to write at 48x. If it can't do it, they shouldn't say it can." I replied.

Finally he responed, "The drive is capable, but it just doesn't do it because the drive is built for quality, not speed."

I asked him if I could record and quote the conversation, and he consented, and that's why I've laid it out as above. So until a real firmware comes out that lets the drive burn at its rated speed, it seems that it's "stuck" at 40x. If anyone else has this drive, I'd love to hear your buring experiences. Also, if the 1.00 firmware is still floating around, I'd appreciate a link. This drive shipped with 1.00 but I flashed it up to 1.01 before I started playing around with it.

Thanks for all your input so far, and that which is to come as we get to the bottom of this issue.
JesusFreak
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:36 pm

Why do you need to write at 48x? Because you bought a drive that supposedly can!

I'd call back and talk to someone else. If they give you that same line of BS, I'd demand to talk to a supervisor.

I too am interested to know if this is a widespread problem.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby JesusFreak on Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:38 pm

I've been talking with an Engineer over at Plextor about this drive and at this point it looks like my drive may be defective. He has no trouble getting his unit to read and write at 48x and mine simply cannot. It could be a firmware glitch, but I cannot find the 1.00 firmware anywhere to test this theory with.

Hopefully I'll be getting a new drive and won't have to pay more UPS brokerage to get it across the border into Canada.

I'll keep you posted regarding what Mr. Smith has to say.
JesusFreak
Buffer Underrun

Update.

Postby JesusFreak on Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:36 pm

It seems that the original tech I talked to at Plextor support didn't know jack . . . as well as the PX-716AL. The drive turned out to be a dud. I spent a few minutes troubleshooting with a Plextor Engineer, and then yesterday they said they'd FedEx me a replacement . . . free of charge.

It left California yesterday afternoon at 4:02, and it arrived up here in Alberta Canada this morning at 10:12am. Holy Freakin' Fedex Express!!! This drive works as advertised and is made in June 2005 with a TLA of 0100. The first drive I received that didn't work was a May 2005 drive and TLA 0000.

Hopefully this hardware version is better and doesn't flake out so quickly.
JesusFreak
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers