Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Country of discs?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Country of discs?

Postby Subby on Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:11 am

Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, but I can't seem to pull up information for it. Is there a way to determine what country a particular batch of media is made in?

Interested because I've got 8x verbatim CD-R from one store that's great (98% QS) and some from another thats not so hot (85% QS). Wanted to see if they were from different countries.

(And another quick question to save another topic... On my 1640 I tried to overspeed this media at 16x, and it took 22 min to burn and quality not that great... is that expected for an initial overspeed burn? I thought Verbatim was supposed to be pretty solid)

Thanks for any help!
Subby
Buffer Underrun

Postby Dartman on Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:49 pm

The country of origin should be in fine print on the spindle label somewhere. I try to get made in Japan whenver possible.

On your 1640 update to the latest L firmware if you haven't and get Qsuite2. Use the QS2 to turn on solid burn and Overspeed media and it should do faster then rated with most media allowing 16x but usually doing whatever the drive likes, around 12x for many. the earlier release had a solid burn+ minus bug that made it burn most at 2.4.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Subby on Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:31 pm

I'll try that. Thanks.

The not so good discs came from Taiwan...
Subby
Buffer Underrun

Postby avsgenie on Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:19 pm

Could have been worse. They could have come from India.

Maybe someone in the know could venture an answer as to whether the retailers get a choice from the distributors, or whether the retailers neither know (nor care). Might the better retailers be fussy about what they stock, and therefore is it worth shopping around, or is a whole country (UK) likely to be blighted with the same stocks from the distributors?
avsgenie
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers