Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Sony CRX230EE-BS not recognizing CD-R's anymore with 2YS3 FW

Burn baby burn!

Sony CRX230EE-BS not recognizing CD-R's anymore with 2YS3 FW

Postby jeeka715 on Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:17 pm

In fact, it will accpet cd's (-rw, -r, -rom) but it won't display them in Explorer... It's as if the drive is empty. Nero and Easy Cd Creator 6 always ask for a blank disc although the disc is fine and ready to be burned to.

I have edited the registry to recognize the drive correctly using the article:
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;EN-US;Q316529

I reinstalled the ASPI from 4.71.2 back down to 4.61 and everything checks out. Nero Info Tool tells me that the NERO ASPI is good as well...

I have tried flashing the Sony CRX230EE-BS to the Lite-On drives SOHR-5239S and SOHR-5239V (pretty sure this is the S version, though)... still nothing.

I have removed the drive in Device Manager AND the IDE Channel and let Windows detect it upon reboot..

I have also removed the drive and booted and then shut down and reconnected and booted back up again to nothing.

I don't get it, The drive is recognized plain as day, no hardware conflicts, DMA is ON, Using the Same TDK 52X CD-R's I have always used (even tried different brands to make sure it wasn't the discs!)

Any suggestions? Please don't tell me my drive is bad already, it's less than a month old.

Note: EVERY Lite-On drive that I have ever purchased, DVD-ROM or CD-RW died within a year, EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM! 6 drives total..... I have just about lost hope in them if I can't get this one running again....If I knew this sony was on OEM Lite-ON I would have stayed away like the plague.
jeeka715
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:38 pm

i would beware of those intructions in that M$ KB article.
it's talking about the built-in burning capability of Windows Explorer in WinXP.
you don't want that!

read this FAQ:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13565
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Nuts! Didn't Work!

Postby jeeka715 on Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:33 pm

dodecahedron,
Unfortunately this tip did not help me. I don't get it, this thing was working then all the sudden it doesn't even see a blank disc in it's drive anymore! Unless TDK changed their media when they stepped it up to the 52x (was using the 48x), I don't see how this would NOT work.

Maybe it is a media thing, but I have tried media that I always used to use (from the same spindle as before) and even that did not work. This is crazy. I hate to say it, but unless a small miracle happens, this Lite-ON OEM drive from Sony is yet another loss for me. If the driv eturnes out to be dead, I will NEVER buy another LITE-ON or any co-branded drive from them again!

Any other suggestions that I might not have tried yet?

Thanks!
jeeka715
jeeka715
Buffer Underrun

Postby oslik3 on Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:45 pm

I used to have LiteOn 7s series CDRW drive. After 10 months it developed a similar problem. After inserting any CD the drive blinked a lot (for 30 sec) and then did nothing.

I RMA'd the drive. The only thing I forgot to try before returning the drive - try a lens cleaning CD. Maybe it'll help. If it does, let us know.[/b]
oslik3
CD-RW Thug

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives