Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Question on DVD-RW Burners

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Question on DVD-RW Burners

Postby BelGarion on Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:06 am

Perhaps this was asked before, but in a Search I didn't find anything, so if there was, I do apologize.

My Sony DW-U18A is giving me fits, I think I know part of the problem is, but the other part is the tray is getting stuck and sometimes it jams the disc too resulting in scratchs and gouges. Not sure why the disc jams neither, all I know as the tray opens on occasion the disc will rise up on one edge like the other edge got stuck and pushed down against something.

But, it's a 4x, even with the upgraded ROM (No worries about warentees, this is an OEM drive, Sony goes "Huh? Go talk to your OEM manufacture.") , it's still 8x. Not *too* terribly interested in DL yet, the media is still insanely priced.

So with that in mind, and the fact this is the *second* Sony to have tray issues with me (I managed to some how break one of the guide runners on my old Sony CD-RW drive, dunno how as I never bang the tray back in, a gentle push on the edge.) I was thinking maybe it's time to upgrade to a different brand of DVD-RW. So, the question is:

What is the most reliable daily use DVD-RW drive available to be used for backing up files off of the HDD to storage? Occasionally I might download a rare and hard to find movie and make it into a dvd for me to enjoy at home. So what are the recommendations? Which DMA ATA drive won't give me too many issues?

Also want to replace my Sony DVD-ROM drives, the ones I have presently have spin up slippage issues, and it sounds terrible until it gets up to speed. So what straight DVD-ROM drive is recommended?

Thank you for your time.

BelGarion
BelGarion
Buffer Underrun

Postby Scour on Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:22 am

Hello!

Most reliable drive? In the past I would say Plextor, but even Plextor have a couple of broken drives with the newer ones.
This can happen with every brand you can buy.

I should say that your Sony is a rebadged Liteon. Liteon is known for bad quality and flumsy tray-mechanism.

I have a Benq 1640, which have great writing-quality. But I know that Benq have many broken drives. But in Germany you have 2 years of warranty, when my 1640 is defect, I´ll get a new one :)

Pioneer looks more reliabel and have good quality, maybe this is the right writer for you. NEC is also to recommend

DVD-Rom: I recommend a Aopen or Asus-drive, maybe the new Plextor 130 (more expensive)
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby BelGarion on Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:27 pm

Greetings and thank you. Now, of course, the question remains, of course, which model of NEC? Should I go for the cheaper NEC ND-3520A or the more expensive NEC ND-3500A ? Or something in between?

Seems I can't *get* a Plextor PX 130A , not finding it on any of the online price comparison web pages. But I do see an Asus DVD-E616P1, how good is that one? Or should I keep hunting for the Plextor 130A?

And yes, this current Sony DW U18A is a rebranded LiteOn, not sure abuot the CD-RW of old, it was a Sony CRX160S.

Kinda sucks how quality is going to heck, no? I had a Sony Discman cd walkman I had for over 10 years before the head phone jack broke. But two burners and both have the same issue, the internal tray guides broke. Ah well, thanks!

BelGarion

Scour wrote:Hello!

Most reliable drive? In the past I would say Plextor, but even Plextor have a couple of broken drives with the newer ones.
This can happen with every brand you can buy.

I should say that your Sony is a rebadged Liteon. Liteon is known for bad quality and flumsy tray-mechanism.

I have a Benq 1640, which have great writing-quality. But I know that Benq have many broken drives. But in Germany you have 2 years of warranty, when my 1640 is defect, I´ll get a new one :)

Pioneer looks more reliabel and have good quality, maybe this is the right writer for you. NEC is also to recommend

DVD-Rom: I recommend a Aopen or Asus-drive, maybe the new Plextor 130 (more expensive)
BelGarion
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:50 pm

BelGarion wrote:Greetings and thank you. Now, of course, the question remains, of course, which model of NEC? Should I go for the cheaper NEC ND-3520A or the more expensive NEC ND-3500A ? Or something in between?

Seems I can't *get* a Plextor PX 130A , not finding it on any of the online price comparison web pages. But I do see an Asus DVD-E616P1, how good is that one? Or should I keep hunting for the Plextor 130A?

the NEC 3520 is the newer, and thus better, drive.
the 3540 is even better.
i've no reason to assume there's any difference between them in terms of quality/durability.

if i'm not mistaken there's newer models of Asus DVD-ROM: E616P2, E616P3.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby BelGarion on Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:57 pm

Hmm. Ok, seems the silver version of the Asus E616P3 is difficult to get, can't find black, so it's beige or beige. <LOL> :lol: Ah well, means I have to disassemble the drive and hit the front cover and face plate with a few coats of paint, can't get that at a model shop.

Oh wait, here we go, Zip Zoom Fly has black for 31$ and the NEC ND 3540A for 46$. Not bad, less than I spent on the Sony. Of course I'll be stuck at 4x until I use up this relitivly new 50 pack of Ridek Ridata G04 4x. Oh! One last question, what media should I use? I have had good luck, so far, with the Ridata (except with the present problem which is drive related, going to be retrying this once more after I cleaned out the drive) and it's reasonably priced. But, I have no clue about any thing but the Ridata. Thanks again!

BelGarion

dodecahedron wrote:
BelGarion wrote:Greetings and thank you. Now, of course, the question remains, of course, which model of NEC? Should I go for the cheaper NEC ND-3520A or the more expensive NEC ND-3500A ? Or something in between?

the NEC 3520 is the newer, and thus better, drive.
the 3540 is even better.
i've no reason to assume there's any difference between them in terms of quality/durability.

if i'm not mistaken there's newer models of Asus DVD-ROM: E616P2, E616P3.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Roy
BelGarion
Buffer Underrun

Postby Scour on Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:16 pm

Hello!

I would take a NEC 3540 or 4550. NEC 3500 and 3520 is "to old"

The Asus 616P3 can read DVD-RAM, AFAIK. If you don´t need it a 616P2 is also good for you.

I´m not a fan of Ritek G04-media, better look for Verbatim-media
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby BelGarion on Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:42 pm

Yeap, that's what I said, a NEC ND 3540 is 46$ at Zip Zoom Fly.

Zip Zoom Fly don't have the Asus 616P2, anyway, I like trying to buy everything from one place, saves on shipping.

The 50 Pack Verbatim (95058) 16X DVD-R Media 4.7GB Blank DVDR Discs in Cake Box, $0.71 Each

Can we say "Ow"? But... That's 16x and it's Verbatim, stuff lasts for bloody ever. I have some cd-rs, DataLifePlus, I can still read that I burned back in the late 90s on my first cd burner, a 2x Yamaha. So, yeah, it's a wise investment.

<looks as the burner burns another dvd-r> Interesting, the rom upgrade (Used the LiteOn upgrade, made my DW-U18A into a DRU-700A ) also effected the LED colors. It used to blink yellow while writing, now it's a solid red. We'll see if the ROM upgrade *and* cleaning it out, plus a few other small things, will fix the issues enough I can get the important stuff burned off and saved. Definately will get the NEC 3540, the price is right, and it's recommended. Plus it's a speed and DL upgrade. But if it fails, I'll start a new subject and ask about any other reasons, besides a dying drive, that'll cause the issues I am exp. Thanks again all!

BelGarion

Scour wrote:Hello!

I would take a NEC 3540 or 4550. NEC 3500 and 3520 is "to old"

The Asus 616P3 can read DVD-RAM, AFAIK. If you don´t need it a 616P2 is also good for you.

I´m not a fan of Ritek G04-media, better look for Verbatim-media
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Roy
BelGarion
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers