Home News Reviews Forums Shop

dvd drive haves stoped working

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

dvd drive haves stoped working

Postby aliphilp on Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:50 pm

Hi all ok im stuck the problem is my Sony DVD rw dru-810a has stopped reading disks I think the problem started when I was copying data from a DVD to my hard drive, some way in to the possess of copying to my C drive my poota froze so I restarted it when I tried to start the copying again the DVD drive did not recognize that there was a disk in the drive. I have try different media, changing ide channels, clearing the cmos, updating the mother board bios, tried (kprobe) it didn’t recognise there was a disk in the drive neither dose Nero, I tried to boot up with win xp disk no luck, tried safe mode not hapin, have uninstalled the drive and reinstalled the drive, have try to find firmware to update the DVD drive bios but none seems to exsit yet for the dur-810a did find some for the dur-800 but thought it might not be the way to go think it just changes the region any ways or somit, it did cross my mind that the drive might be stuck in a loop of some sort coz of been interrupted by the crash but I just don’t know I have looked on many web sites for ideas on how to fix my prob so far no luck this site looked like one of the most helpful so hope someone can help :o [/i]
aliphilp
Buffer Underrun

Postby TCAS on Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:32 pm

If you have taken all these steps and the problem still persist then the fair conclusion is the drive is dead and time to be replaced by another one.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby aliphilp on Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:06 pm

Thanks for your post and your probably right but the only thing is this drive is only a few weeks old and I can not believe that the computer crashing can wreck a DVD drive so easily its not that the poota dosent see the drive its just not abel to read off the media, it dos try i can here the disk spin a few time and then stop
aliphilp
Buffer Underrun

Postby TCAS on Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:43 pm

First of All if the drive is only few weeks old, then you have a choice to have it RMAed through the manufacturing warranty, but before that to ensure that the drive is really dead you can take the drive out of your system and try it out on other or friends system to make sure what the problem coming from, from your system or from the drive that is dead.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby VN Souljah on Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:35 am

I have the same problem as you have.
I was burning and then the computer freezed and I had to restart the comp.
And nowt the plextor 716 wont read anymore but it can close and open the tray.
I have done everything to to check whats the problem but no clue.
The drive is only 6 month old.
I have contact plextor and they gave me a RMA number and all that so I will get a new one.
VN Souljah
CD-RW Thug

Postby aliphilp on Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:58 am

ye i think iv tryed just about every thing i can think of but i gave up in the end and took it back to the shop but it is stuped that a dvd drive should die so easay stupid pootas
aliphilp
Buffer Underrun

Postby Scour on Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:06 am

Hello!

Can you try the drive in another PC?
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers