Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Traxdata Announces 8x Double Layer DVD+R Media

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Traxdata Announces 8x Double Layer DVD+R Media

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:19 pm

Traxdata Launches the World’s Fastest Double Layer Media

Capelle a/d IJssel, 9 November 2005 – Traxdata has announced the launch of the ground-breaking Traxdata DVD+R Double Layer (DL) 8X media. The world’s fastest DL media enables the recording of 8.5GB of data or video in around 16 minutes. By being the first to launch this exciting technology into the marketplace, Traxdata continues its commitment to bring cutting edge products to its customers first.

The very latest innovations in technology have optimised the dye and recording/ reflective and bonding layers to ensure the highest compatibility with most popular DVD-ROM and DVD+R DL drives, DVD based video players and game consoles.

Philips’ “Intellectual Property and Standards” division in Eindhoven, The Netherlands has acknowledged the quality of the Traxdata DVD+R DL 8X media, which is manufactured by RITEK, by awarding it their certification. This means that the new product meets Philips’ exacting criteria for DL media and the official logo will be displayed on the media to advise the consumer of this.

“We are very proud to be at the forefront of introducing new digital storage solutions”, said Floris Evers, Marketing Manager, Traxdata. “Traxdata continues its trend as a real innovator and with Philips’ certification, the consumer is assured of the very latest technology with the very best quality.”

Traxdata DVD+R Double Layer 8X media will be available in Jewel Case and Cake box packaging throughout various European resellers and retailers.

"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:14 pm

It's gotta be better then RITEKD01 right? :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:07 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:It's gotta be better then RITEKD01 right? :o

Only when the drive-manufacturers fully support this media
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:43 pm

Scour wrote:

Only when the drive-manufacturers fully support this media

I'm not quite as worried about that as I am Ritek's ability to keep a products' quality consistant. I know they can make a good product, and I know they can throw their weight around with drive makers when they HAVE a good product.... but I've never seen them proove they can KEEP a product working well. I can't think of a single Ritek product that has been consistant throughout its' lifespan, with a partial exception for the RITEKG04 disc, which at least came close.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:44 am

I personally expect it to be more consistant as the D01. But I also expect more compatability issues in the begining. :(
To me it looks like Ritek have tried to sort things out. Now it's up to the drive manufacturers.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:41 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote: I can't think of a single Ritek product that has been consistant throughout its' lifespan, with a partial exception for the RITEKG04 disc, which at least came close.

I thought the 2.4x RICOHJPNR00 DVD+R media was exceptional.

I was burning those at 8x in my NEC ND-2500A drive until I couldn't find any more in the stores. Was easily one of the best pieces of media to burn at 8x I've ever seen.

Wish I could find a spindle in some old store. Would love to see if my BenQ drive would burn it at 12x. :)
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby Phoenix '97 on Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:08 am

I've tested all of one disc and burned it in my 3500A with firmware 2.1A. My newly-purchased 1640 doesn't need to slow down while reading it at 12x. However my PCI IDE controller keeps it limited to about 9.5x. #-o
Phoenix '97
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:32 am

Phoenix '97 wrote:I've tested all of one disc and burned it in my 3500A with firmware 2.1A. My newly-purchased 1640 doesn't need to slow down while reading it at 12x. However my PCI IDE controller keeps it limited to about 9.5x. #-o

Why don´t you connect the HDDs on the PCI-IDE and the optical-drives to Onboard-IDE?
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:10 am

thegdog wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote: I can't think of a single Ritek product that has been consistant throughout its' lifespan, with a partial exception for the RITEKG04 disc, which at least came close.

I was burning those at 8x in my NEC ND-2500A drive until I couldn't find any more in the stores. Was easily one of the best pieces of media to burn at 8x I've ever seen.

Wish I could find a spindle in some old store. Would love to see if my BenQ drive would burn it at 12x. :)

Well, the R&D for Ricoh media is done in Japan, so it's not really considered a Ritek product even though Ritek does the manufacturing. I believe Ricoh oversees the QA for its media which would explain why it's more consistent than what Ritek makes for itself.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:52 pm

Gen-An wrote:
thegdog wrote:

Well, the R&D for Ricoh media is done in Japan, so it's not really considered a Ritek product even though Ritek does the manufacturing. I believe Ricoh oversees the QA for its media which would explain why it's more consistent than what Ritek makes for itself.

In the days of RICOHJPNR00 and RICOHJPNR01 Ritek could make the media for themselves whenever they felt like it (more or less), so that doesn't really count. Now with today's RICOHJPNR02 you are much more correct.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:56 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
In the days of RICOHJPNR00 and RICOHJPNR01 Ritek could make the media for themselves whenever they felt like it (more or less), so that doesn't really count. Now with today's RICOHJPNR02 you are much more correct.

I guess my point was, Ritek makes the discs, but the know-how came from Ricoh, so even if Ricoh discs are sold under the Ritek brand, they're still made using Ricoh's materials.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:49 pm

Gen-An wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:

I guess my point was, Ritek makes the discs, but the know-how came from Ricoh, so even if Ricoh discs are sold under the Ritek brand, they're still made using Ricoh's materials.

Ricoh's materials, but Ritek's quality control :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:25 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:

Maybe to true :o

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:19 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
Gen-An wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:

Ricoh sold as Ritek media has lower quaity than Ricoh sold under other brands?
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:59 pm

Gen-An wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:
Gen-An wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:

Ricoh sold as Ritek media has lower quaity than Ricoh sold under other brands?

Well, let's just say that Ricoh's opinion of "A Grade" media is not the same as Ritek's idea of "A Grade" media :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers