Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD+-RW Faster Than 4x?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVD+-RW Faster Than 4x?

Postby rc213 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:33 am

Anyone know if they even exists? I been lookin everywhere and cant seem to find anything faster than 4x in DVD-RW/DVD+RW. Anyone??? :x
[Asus A8N-E]
[Athlon64 X2 4200+ (CNPS7000B-AlCu)]
[Sapphire x1800XT 256mb (Sytrin VF1-Plus)]
[2GB OCZ EL DDR PC3200 Platinum]
[X-Fi XtremeMusic]
[Antec SmartPower 2.0 500watt]
rc213
CD-RW Thug

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:43 am

Yeah, Verbatim's media was supposed to have shipped a couple of months ago, but I have yet to see it in any retail stores. If your drive works with Ridata media, you can pick some up from Meritline or SuperMediaStore.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:09 am

The memorex stuff will be available retail soon.

I know verbatim wanted to hold back on it since many drives that don't support recording to 6x DVD-RWs and 8x DVD+RWs can't even play back ones that were recorded on other drives.... they probably need to print warning stickers and apply it to existing stock or something.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:32 am

They also switched MID's on their 8x DVD+RW media. Their early discs were missing the bits that told a drive they supported the 8x speed. #-o
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby RJW on Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:23 pm

In germanny Ricoh 8x DVD+RW can be bought.

I can get the 6x DVD-RW verbatim media from quite some places in europe.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:41 pm

RJW wrote:In germanny Ricoh 8x DVD+RW can be bought.

I'm not sure why, but many companies seem to see Europe as a good test market for drives/media. So you guys get a lot of things early, or are the ONLY ones to get them.

Well, EVERYTHING seems to come out in Japan too :P
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:33 pm

Yes, technologically, North America commonly gets the shaft. :cry:
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:45 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
RJW wrote:In germanny Ricoh 8x DVD+RW can be bought.

I'm not sure why, but many companies seem to see Europe as a good test market for drives/media. So you guys get a lot of things early, or are the ONLY ones to get them.

Well, EVERYTHING seems to come out in Japan too :P

Why ? because prices are higher and general. With more profit you can take more risk and see your investments earlier back. Same counts for Japan. Only Optodisc seems still not understanded this trick but then again when had Optodisc some new advanced technology stuff. :D

Europe is not a test market. First stuff is released allways in japan (Which are even more technology happy !)

Also only ones to get hem. Hmm don't you know that the whole gameing community (specially the RPG players ) in Europe and Australia envy the US folks because of all the releases you get and we don't ???
Also only European made games (which are crap most times) are released earlier. The rest is most times a half year behind the USA so much for being first with stuff. (And let me not comment about the movie industry which is even more screwed .)

No I only think that incase of media we have a slight release advantage sometimes but not that much. Also it seems that European stores like to stock up more different stuff as the american big online media stores.
A larger variety is allway nice but also means again higher prices.
See Feurio webstore as a great example. They probally have the bigest available media selection for a online store. But look at there prices.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:51 pm

American's buy stuff cause its cheap. They're not going to spend the extra money for the good discs or the ones that might write a little faster. They want the cheapest junk they can buy.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby RJW on Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:52 pm

Ian wrote:American's buy stuff cause its cheap. They're not going to spend the extra money for the good discs or the ones that might write a little faster. They want the cheapest junk they can buy.

Hey Ian are you a European manager of a worlwide brand ?
because it sounds like that. :lol: :lol:

Also about the non interest in the quality. We also see this back in the PC magazines. Haven't seen any American Computer magazine doing a media test. ( and quite some bookstores a large collection of these overpriced bad quality magazines.)
With the german magazines I think there's at least one magazine who writes something about it. Other European magazines it's a slightly less imporant issue but still enough for a article a year.
However quality comes in all variances. From very bad to excellent.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:46 pm

RJW wrote:Hey Ian are you a European manager of a worlwide brand ?

lol.. I'm just being honest. Those of us at forums like this are a minority. Most Americans just don't care and that's why you'd never see a publication like PC Magazine testing media, let alone even think about looking at a drive's writing quality. Even more technical magazines like CPU (Anand and Kyle from HardOCP write for it) don't even touch upon this. Its funny. The same people that will spend $800 on a video card and $1000 on a CPU won't spend a few extra bucks for good media. :roll:

Okay.. I'm done ranting.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby rc213 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:59 pm

I guess i'll keep an eye out for them to show up. I just need one to replace the 4x i use now to burn my tv shows xvid/divx so i can watch em on my dvd/divx standalone. :D Hope they hurry up.
[Asus A8N-E]
[X-Fi XtremeMusic]
rc213
CD-RW Thug

Postby TCAS on Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:36 am

rc213 wrote:I guess i'll keep an eye out for them to show up. I just need one to replace the 4x i use now to burn my tv shows xvid/divx so i can watch em on my dvd/divx standalone. :D Hope they hurry up.

If you are burning your favorite TV shows through the capture card or even with stand alone DVR recorder then regardless of speed DVD+/-R or +/-RW the burning speed from TV would be the same. So you really don't need higher than 4X +/-RW for this purpose. This has been my own experience unless some one else has different one.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:57 am

rc213 wrote:I guess i'll keep an eye out for them to show up. I just need one to replace the 4x i use now to burn my tv shows xvid/divx so i can watch em on my dvd/divx standalone. :D Hope they hurry up.

Did you read my post earlier in this thread?
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 129#149129

They probably won't play back on your Divx/DVD player :o

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby rc213 on Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:47 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:

Did you read my post earlier in this thread?
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 129#149129

They probably won't play back on your Divx/DVD player :o

From your post it sounds like your only talking about DVD Burners, I did'nt think you meant standalones aswell.
[Asus A8N-E]
[X-Fi XtremeMusic]
rc213
CD-RW Thug

Postby eric93se on Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:13 am

Ian wrote:
RJW wrote:Hey Ian are you a European manager of a worlwide brand ?

lol.. I'm just being honest. Those of us at forums like this are a minority. Most Americans just don't care and that's why you'd never see a publication like PC Magazine testing media, let alone even think about looking at a drive's writing quality. Even more technical magazines like CPU (Anand and Kyle from HardOCP write for it) don't even touch upon this. Its funny. The same people that will spend $800 on a video card and $1000 on a CPU won't spend a few extra bucks for good media. :roll:

Okay.. I'm done ranting.

I think its just bad for bussiness, thats why they don't do it. Who wants to buy a dvd/cd burner that produces thousands of errors (since they all do), I wouldn't :) . The educated consumer has to pick the drive that sucks the least! Our HDD's don't come anywere close to the errors that we get on OD's
Benq DW-1640
ASUS 1608P2 >> Crossflashed to Pioneer 110 -> RAM+Bitsetting+removed riplock+RPC1 :D

Boost Mobile stole my minutes, then would rather loose me as a customer than give back my minutes (thieves).
eric93se
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:58 pm

I agree with Ian, not too many consumer know or even bother to know about DVD disc quality or even test quality of burned dsic.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers