Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Seasonal avatars

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Postby Ian on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:41 pm

Could someone do these?

No, that second one isn't me. It's Don Murphy, the asshat producing the Transformers movie.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby MediumRare on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:05 pm

Ian wrote:Could someone do these?

They're kind of small :roll:. I like how fatimus turned out, though. Let me know if that's OK- otherwise I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Image Image

Incidentally, "avatar1017_5.gif" was really a JPG!

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Ian on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:22 pm

They're perfect. Thank you.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby cfitz on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:27 am

MediumRare wrote:
cfitz wrote:Just so we don't overwork MediumRare:

Nicely done, cfitz, and good so see you back for your monthly visit. :D

Thanks MediumRare. I was actually admiring all the good work you did. It seems that you have mastered Photoshop Elements.

MediumRare wrote:Living in "liberal" Europe, I would be tempted to do a bit more with the iMac girl's attire, so it's just as well that you did the job. :wink:

That is interesting. Is "liberal" Europe more apt to dress the girl more modestly so as not to treat her as a sexual object, or is it more likely to do something extra funky like hang ornaments as pasties because it is unconstrained by repressive sexual mores? Or does it have nothing to do with sexuality at all and it is just my own biases showing in even thinking it has to do with sexuality? #-o

I have a pretty good idea what you personally meant, but it is interesting to wonder how different people define "liberal".

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:09 am

well, i was thinking that i wouldn't mind seeing iMac girl with nothing but her Christmas hat on! :D
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby pranav81 on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:29 am

dodecahedron wrote:well, i was thinking that i wouldn't mind seeing iMac girl with nothing but her Christmas hat on! :D

LOL. :D

::Pranav::
Increasingly mathematics will demand the courage to face its implications.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:33 am

Thanks MediumRare for the modified avatar.I have linked to it directly.

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:45 am

dodecahedron wrote:well, i was thinking that i wouldn't mind seeing iMac girl with nothing but her Christmas hat on! :D

Did you mean something like this? :wink:

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby pranav81 on Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:52 am

Coool...........

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:54 am

If anyone's up to the task, could someone add a menorah to my signature image?

You and everyone else on this forum.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby cfitz on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:15 pm

aviationwiz wrote:If anyone's up to the task, could someone add a menorah to my signature image?

Hmmm... That's a little harder than adding hats since people (and anthromorphized objects) wear hats but rarely wear Menorahs. But here is my attempt. In an effort to maintain an aviation theme I extended the original picture rather than adding a completely new Menorah:

Why do Hanukkah Menorahs have nine total branches, but regular Menorahs only have six? And what about the ones with just three? Finally, is "Menorah" supposed to be capitalized?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:36 pm

a Hannukah Menorah has 9 "branches" well candle-holders, since Hannukah is 8 days long!
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:55 pm

dodecahedron wrote:a Hannukah Menorah has 9 "branches" well candle-holders, since Hannukah is 8 days long!

Okay, so the Hannukah Menorah (a.k.a. the Hanukiah) has one branch for each of the eight days of Hannukah that the one-day's supply of oil lasted plus one branch for the shamash (the helper candle used to light the rest). But what about regular Menorahs? Do their branches symbolize anything? And did I get the sequence wrong? Now that I have read about the shamash, I wonder if the center flame should always be lit.

cfitz (the confused gentile)
Last edited by cfitz on Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Alejandra on Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:56 pm

MediumRare wrote:

Did you mean something like this? :wink:

G

Some wished you did it with a PowerBook 12", nooooo, even better, with an iPod nano or shuffle.
Ciao,
macgirl.

Tired of hackintoshes and went with the real deal.
Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:41 pm

Alejandra wrote:Some wished you did it with a PowerBook 12", nooooo, even better, with an iPod nano or shuffle.
:D :D
You can alway apply extreme perspective!

G
(who thought that an iMac girl always undresses behind an iMac. :wink: )
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby cfitz on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:16 pm

Alejandra wrote:Some wished you did it with a PowerBook 12", nooooo, even better, with an iPod nano or shuffle.

Nothing but a Santa hat and an iPod Shuffle, eh?

Always happy to oblige! :wink:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:53 pm

everyone at work is confused about my recent outbursts of laughter... I blame you cfitz :P :lol:

Thanks for not letting me get bored :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:39 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I blame you cfitz :P :lol:

Don't blame me. Blame the inconveniently placed index finger! :wink:

dolphinius_rex wrote:Thanks for not letting me get bored :wink:

Since you are enjoying the pictures, you might want to see an earlier version I made up based on dodecahedron's original request:

I couldn't figure out why dodecahedron would want to see the iMac girl while wearing nothing but her hat, but who am I to judge? Different strokes for different folks, you know... Upon further reflection, however, I think perhaps my parsing of his request was a bit awkward. :wink:

cfitz

P.S. No offense to anyone intended. :D
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:28 am

cfitz wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:a Hannukah Menorah has 9 "branches" well candle-holders, since Hannukah is 8 days long!

Okay, so the Hannukah Menorah (a.k.a. the Hanukiah) has one branch for each of the eight days of Hannukah that the one-day's supply of oil lasted plus one branch for the shamash (the helper candle used to light the rest). But what about regular Menorahs? Do their branches symbolize anything? And did I get the sequence wrong? Now that I have read about the shamash, I wonder if the center flame should always be lit.

cfitz (the confused gentile)

Not really sure about the regular Menorahs... good question.

As for the sequence, it's right. You first light the shamash, then use the shamash to light each candle (from left to right,) then you put the shamash back in the place-holder.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:49 am

hey!
i said "nothing but her Christmas hat on" and not "nothing but her Christmas hat and a dodecahedron on"!
tsk tsk tsk.

btw thanks for equating me with David. i'll take that as a compliment.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:51 am

Hey CFitz,

Thank you could Santa hat this pic up for me?
http://www.animepaper.net/wallpapers/to ... ntry12326/

My friend wants to use it for a wallpaper, but she's sad it's not christmasy enough. Any other decorations might be nice too :wink:

Thanks!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:03 am

as for cfitz's questions about Menorah:

first of all, kudos for that picture you made for aviationwiz. very original.

'menorah' literally means 'lamp' in hebrew.
traditionally there are 7 candles/flames.
some info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menorah
http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%9E%D7% ... 7%A8%D7%94
you can chase more links from there if you wish.

here's a picture of the official symbol of the state of Israel (appears on every official document):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_Arms_of_Israel

it is taken from a depiction on the Arch of Titus in Rome, supposedlyh of a (the?) menora taken from the Temple to Rome when the Romans conquered Jerusalem.

as for Hannuka menorahs, they have 9 candles. one is the Shamash which is used to light all others. the miracle of the can of oil - one can of oil had enough oil in it to light the Temple for 8 days. so there's one candle for each day. on the first you light just one candle (+ the Shamash), on the second 2 candles etc. on the last all are lit.
the Shamash doesn't have to be in the center. it can be on the end of the menorah.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:51 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Hey CFitz,

My friend wants to use it for a wallpaper, but she's sad it's not christmasy enough. Any other decorations might be nice too :wink:

Thanks!

She really wants a picture of a Japanese girl in a traditional spring kimono with an autumn background wearing a western winter hat? Wow! That's a mix. Is her heart set on the background, or is it the girl that she really wants?

I'll give it a shot if I get some time.

dodecahedron wrote:hey!
i said "nothing but her Christmas hat on" and not "nothing but her Christmas hat and a dodecahedron on"!
tsk tsk tsk.

:oops: Heh. Despite the fact that Michaelangelo's David is so famous and widely viewed, I didn't want to post it in its unadulterated form for fear of offending someone. :-? So, I added the dodecahedron to censor David and also to convey who David was representing. But then I thought some more and figured someone might misinterpret the dodecahedron hanging off the front of David, so I added an additional "Censored" tag to try to make it clear what was going on. Walking the fine line isn't always easy and I'm not always successful.

dodecahedron wrote:btw thanks for equating me with David. i'll take that as a compliment.

You have taken it as I intended it. And you are welcome.

dodecahedron wrote:first of all, kudos for that picture you made for aviationwiz. very original.

I liked the idea when I first thought of it, but frankly I'm not very happy with its execution. It looks more like an afterthought tacked onto the corner of the picture rather than an extension of the taxi-way guide lights that it actually is. Oh well.

Thanks for the links regarding the Menorah (although the second one escapes me :wink: ). It is interesting to learn that it represents the burning bush through which God spoke to Moses. Perhaps more interesting is that once the original temple in Jerusalem was destroyed, the Menorah no longer has a formal place in Jewish prayer services or rituals. I guess the emphasis is on "formal".

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:50 am

cfitz wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Hey CFitz,

Thanks!

She really wants a picture of a Japanese girl in a traditional spring kimono with an autumn background wearing a western winter hat? Wow! That's a mix. Is her heart set on the background, or is it the girl that she really wants?

I'll give it a shot if I get some time.

My friends words were that she was looking for an anime (Japanese Animation) Christmas background for her computer.... so you can nix the background of the picture if you keep the overall feel christmasy anime-ish :wink:

Anything you can come up with will be appreciated :D

You can even put the girl in a skimpy santa style fuzzy bikini for all I care.... (hint hint), although she might not like it as much :P

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:09 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:My friends words were that she was looking for an anime (Japanese Animation) Christmas background for her computer.... so you can nix the background of the picture if you keep the overall feel christmasy anime-ish :wink:

Okay. How about this? I whipped it up in just a few minutes:

Okay. I lied. I didn't really do it. It came from here. But heck, it is ready made and comes pre-sized in 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 versions. If this wallpaper does the trick for your friend, then great! It is much better than anything I could come up with. If not and your friend really wants a mod of the one you originally posted, that's okay too. Let me know and I will see what I can do if I find some time.

dolphinius_rex wrote:You can even put the girl in a skimpy santa style fuzzy bikini for all I care.... (hint hint), although she might not like it as much :P

Ahhhh!!!! Fuzzy bikinis. :D Heck, though, you don't need me to find that kind of anime. I'm sure you already have a nice selection of anime to choose from.... =D>

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

PreviousNext

Return to The Beer Garden