Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Problem w/video capture ATI 9600 AIW and Studio 8

Video editing, capturing, converting, etc.

Problem w/video capture ATI 9600 AIW and Studio 8

Postby rmm1975 on Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:18 pm

I'm using a VCR hooked up to my ATI graphics card. The screen capture part works great. However two things happen a few minutes after the screen capture starts.

1. The audio seems to lose sync with the video.
2. There are tons of frames dropping which in turn makes the video look funny when played back afterwards.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue here? I have a 120GB Maxtor 7200 RPM hard drive, a ASUS P4800 2.4 GHz motherboard, 1 Gig RAM, ATI AGP graphics card 8x 9600 AIW. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have tried Nero, Pinnacle and the ATI software for screen capturing and none of them prevent the problem above.

Can anyone help me? I just invested $900 on my PC to do this and I can't get it to work.
rmm1975
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:36 pm

What format are you capturing the video/audio in: AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, WMV, etc? Also, what are the specifications? e.g. Video: AVI, 320 x 240, 30 FPS; Audio: 44.100 KHz, 16-bit, Stereo

In my experience, I had plenty of dropped frames and loss of sync with audio when I used MPEG-1 and MPEG-2. As a result, I only record in AVI now, with the specifications used in the example above. It produces very large video files, but I don't mind. I'd rather have a large AVI with no frames dropped and perfect audio synchronization than a smaller MPEG with poor quality.

I then take the large AVI and compress it into a WMV with Windows Movie Maker or into a smaller DivX/XviD AVI with NeroVision Express.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Thanks so much for the reply...

Postby rmm1975 on Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:45 pm

I am capturing in MPEG-2 format. The reason I am burning in this format is cause I want to burn my home VHS tapes to DVD later. Do I have that option with burning to AVI ?

With Pinnacle, the specifications were:
MPEG-2, 720x480, Audio: 44.100 KHz, 16-bit, Stereo, there is no section in pinnacle that lets me choose frame rate. or at least i can't find one.

If I compress it into smaller AVI file, can I burn to DVD still? Can I still make home movies to burn onto DVD? How do I do this?

Thanks so much for your help so far! :)
rmm1975
Buffer Underrun

Postby Justin42 on Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:43 am

Have you updated ALL of your drivers? Latest video, sound, mobo, etc? Latest BIOS?

Are you running DirectX 9.0c?

Be sure your hard drive is defragmented!

Your computer should be more than powerful enough to do realtime MPEG2 capture on an AIW. I have a machine with a P3/1Ghz and AIW 8500 and it could do it fairly well as long as the quality wasn't jacked up all the way.

My guess is either some drivers are conflicting, or you're having an IRQ issue-- try swapping the PCI slot that your sound card is plugged in to, video capture needs a LOT of throughput and if you have 2-3 critical devices sharing 1 IRQ (i.e., the video card, sound card, and IDE controller) it's gonna choke it, which could cause the symptoms you describe.

You can also try messing with the AGP aperture setting in the Bios-- I can't tell you what to set it to (it's one of those settings that different people get good results at different points) but I've managed to improve capture quality tweaking that.
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Still having problems...

Postby rmm1975 on Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:40 pm

I have all the latest drivers for my mobo, card, etc. Still not sure why this issue is occuring. Seems like I'm at a loss. Very frustrated.

I'm ready to pay a tech to look at my pc. grrrr...LOL

not sure how to check apature in bios for agp card.

can I convert an avi file to mpeg-2? do I need to to view in dvd player?

Thanks for your help everyone.
rmm1975
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:07 am

You can convert AVI to MPEG-2. Nero and Pinnacle can do it for you. You don't need a DVD player to view MPEG-2. An MPEG file will play on any computer, just like an AVI file.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Re: Problem w/video capture ATI 9600 AIW and Studio 8

Postby Brad Cravec on Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:53 am

rmm1975 wrote:I'm using a VCR hooked up to my ATI graphics card. The screen capture part works great. However two things happen a few minutes after the screen capture starts.

1. The audio seems to lose sync with the video.
2. There are tons of frames dropping which in turn makes the video look funny when played back afterwards.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue here? I have a 120GB Maxtor 7200 RPM hard drive, a ASUS P4800 2.4 GHz motherboard, 1 Gig RAM, ATI AGP graphics card 8x 9600 AIW. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have tried Nero, Pinnacle and the ATI software for screen capturing and none of them prevent the problem above.

Can anyone help me? I just invested $900 on my PC to do this and I can't get it to work.

setsdart of my messfage
end of my mesdrfsage
Brad Cravec
Buffer Underrun

hfeh is my message

Postby Brad Cravec on Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:31 pm

tsdhris is just my mesffwffage
Brad Cravec
Buffer Underrun

ati tv wonder usb 2.0

Postby coonsanders on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:08 pm

hi