Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Dumb question

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Dumb question

Postby dacdwriter on Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:31 am

I just upgraded my cd burner to a dvd/cd burner and it came with Nero Express SE. I quickly upgraded to the latest version of Nero and just installed the basics, for now (Nero Burning Rom) I entered the new serial number, but the start menu still says Nero7 Demo. Can I change this or will it change by itself.

Also, can I use Nero to copy copy protected DVDs? If not, is there a free program to do this, or what do you guys recommend?

Thanks
dacdwriter
Buffer Underrun

Postby kipper on Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:44 am

the latest update 7.0.14 should have removed "Demo" from the start menu but it does not fix it in the "add/remove" programs section of the control panel.

Nero is promising an other update before the end of the year, maybe they will have a few more of the numerous bugs fixed and dont be supprised if they introduce a year more; two steps forward, 1 setp back.
kipper
Buffer Underrun

Postby dacdwriter on Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:00 pm

Thanks. I have it in the add/remove programs and the start up menu.
The first install of Nero didn't go well, but it did remove the 'demo', so I completely uninstalled and reinstalled. I used the 'clean tool'. On the second install, I just installed the burning rom and start smart, thinking I'd install other stuff as needed. On the second install, the 'demo' remained.

Anyway, it's no big deal, I can just rename it, right?
dacdwriter
Buffer Underrun

Postby dacdwriter on Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:04 pm

Well, I just ran the 'repair' from the 'product setup' on the start menu and it fixed the 'demo' problem, but it also wanted to install 'Home'. I have Microsoft Anti spyware beta and it offered to block it.
I just restarted the computer because I didn't want 'home installed.
You're right, Nero7 has a mind of its own.
Thanks for the help.
dacdwriter
Buffer Underrun

Postby kipper on Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:46 pm

I believe if you do a "custom install" you can deselect "Home" from install and it worked for me; I also did a search on the web for something to disable "scout" and found a registry hack which does permit ableing and disableing the scout function.

I have since uninstalled Nero and gone back to using ONES, very stable and non-bloated.
kipper
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:58 pm

at this point i can only recommend you stick with Nero 6.
wait another month or 2 or 3. hopefully by then Nero will iron out most of the major bugs in their software. till then Nero 6 is (more than) good enough.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dacdwriter on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:08 pm

I don't know if version 6 would recognize my burner. It's an off brand of a Lite On S563? Plus, I just spent $63.99 on the upgrade to Nero7 from the Nero Express SE that came with the burner. I had been using Nero 5! But I wasn't using a DVD burner. I figured I needed a higher version for the DVD.

I'd use version 6 if I could find it for little or nothing.

Thanks for the help

kipper, you can disable scout in a custom install. I don't remember if it's in options somewhere or when you pick and choose the the features you want.
dacdwriter
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:42 pm

well, what i had actually meant was that you could use the Nero Express 6 that came with your drive. obviously it would work with your drive. you can update it to the latest version of Nero 6 from Nero's website.

as for the $64, right not it's money gone. hopefully Nero will get their act toghether and fix the bugs and Nero 7 will be a viable product. right now it's not.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dacdwriter on Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:38 pm

Yeah, I know, the $64 is not wasted, but the program is a PITA. The Nero SE that came with the burner will only let me install a suite which I don't think is 'sweet' :D, it puts in things I don't want. I only want the burning rom for now. I know, I could install it then remove the unwanted items, but still...
I can actually get Nero7 burning rom installed and working (custom install), but I don't like how it puts the .cab files and others necessary for the 'program setup' to work in a windows temp directory. Guess what happens when you clean out that directory?! So, I just put it (nero7.tmp) in the ahead\nero7 directory and the other files in the ahead directory.
A lot of screwing around, but a learning experience.
Thanks for your help! Niceone!
dacdwriter
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)