Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Installation Problem: "setup" reboots computer ra

Anything else

Installation Problem: "setup" reboots computer ra

Postby NuGuy on Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:15 am

I have an older computer (Dell, PII, 400 Mz) in which I installed a new hard drive, and a new OS -- Win98 SE (generic, not a 'Dell part').

I have a Turtle Beach/Montego 64 voice PCI audio card. I have two different setup discs for it (both "Dell parts"). One disc simply says it has drivers on it, the other says "Windows 98 Only." Exploring/comparing both, they seem very similar (types and number of files). When I open up the "Setup" file on either, and after acknowledging/warning me that I should close all other programs as the computer will be restarted, it goes directly to restart, and NO installation whatsoever occurs. It's as if I pressed the restart button on my computer. Again, this occurs on both discs. (I'm stuck.)

Maybe this is a proprietary (?-sp.) issue with Dell (not using their Win98 disc...? But I'm thinking that maybe I could just skip initiating the Setup (setup.exe) file by opening the next file in line, the one that the setup file opens. What do you think? What file might this be?

Before I switched out my old hard drive, I downloaded a driver program and saved all my drivers on a CD. I can update the driver via device manager and access my saved drivers, but I can only update/install a single driver, while my saved drivers for this device number five (5). So that's why I think I need to somehow get one of these installation discs (the Win 98 only disc...?) to work. Any thoughts?

(I hear Microsoft is coming out with a new OS next November or so. I'll get a new computer then, one that I can be sure can comfortably handle the new and greater requirements of that new OS....) (Where's BTX?)

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby NuGuy on Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:21 pm

Well, I've spent some time at Dell's Support site. Trying to figure out a work-around. I'll probably download the drivers and install via the device manager from hard disk. We'll see....
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby NuGuy on Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:13 am

I got the audio card drivers, etc. installed. NOW I have a really big problem: After installation, I was prompted to restart the computer. I did this and got the "Microsoft Windows 98 --- Windows is shuting down." screen. Except that it never restarted. My computer just hung there. So I hit the restart button, and got another prompt along the way asking if I wanted to retart the computer now (again!). Opt to restart, same thing happens. Opt NOT to restart now, get a fatal error message while Windows was continuing to start up. Manually restarting or shuting down and then restarting the computer (goes though ScanDisc error detection/correction) will not eliminate the need to properly restart the computer now, as called for with the restart prompt appearing every time.

I have Symantec Utilities installed and ran that in the Safe Mode. Corrected two problems -- no help in this case. I have McAfee's Internet Security Suite installed. This thing may be the problem. Take a really long time for my computer to boot up when it's installed.

I swapped my old HHD back into the computer. That's why I can use it now. I think I'm going to have to reformat my new drive and start installing everything all over again. Probably reinstall my Symantec 2004 Internet Security and renew my subscription.

Anyone have any ideas about this restart hanging up on me?
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby smartin4 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:41 am

It's been a few years since I've used Win98, but I seem to recall there being a shutdown issue with it,. I used to have the same issue when I went to (coincidentally to a PII 400 MHz CPU). I seem to recall that it may have had something to do with newer hardware (by Win 98 standards that is) & the power settings not meshing properly.

I got so frustrated with it, I boroke down & bought a copy of Win 2k to get away from that issue and never looked back. Now using Xp on everything.

I know that may not be a good solution for you, but I couldn't take it anymore.
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby NuGuy on Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:54 pm

Thanks for the reply.

You know, I don't know why I didn't buy Win2000... Maybe I concluded that my setup was too ancient/underpowered to support it...?

Your post prompted me to search MS support, and this is a documented problem. I'll try their most obvious/apparent solution offered this weekend.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby smartin4 on Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:14 pm

Glad I could at least get you pointed in the right direction.

If I recall, there was a patch, but it didn't work for me, hence the upgrade to Win 2k.
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Return to General Software Questions