Home News Reviews Forums Shop

New version of Nero 7.0.1.4b

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

New version of Nero 7.0.1.4b

Postby bigblu91 on Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:19 am

There is a new version of Nero dated today.

http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/nero7-up.php

If you get a crappy connection, use the "Download Mirrors" selection and you're given an option to download staight from Germany or via bit torrent. I used the Germany link and was able to download the 101mb file in under 5 min.
Update
Those wanting a release that doesn't call Nero a Demo still, this release is not for you. It's still called a DEMO in the Add\Remove list. I'm not sure what changes are there.
bigblu91
Buffer Underrun

Postby bobmitchell on Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:48 pm

Solved a lot of issues with my Benq DW1640. I couldn't do multisession with DVD+RW in the past, now I can. I couldn't do multisession to a point with DVD-R or DVD+R...now it's flawless...THANKS NERO!

Happy Holidays...

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:35 pm

Doesn't look like you can get the non Yahoo Toolbar versions through the bittorent link or mirrors. (based on the filenames)
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:41 am

Best way I do it is via http download from Nero...faster and not always clogged...
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:09 am

I take back the compliment about 7.0.1.14b...Seems that I cannot write multisession at all now...what did they fix????? I was better off with the version that shipped from day 1. Fails on Multisession DVD but is OK with CD Multisession...
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:33 am

bobmitchell wrote:I take back the compliment about 7.0.1.14b...Seems that I cannot write multisession at all now...what did they fix????? I was better off with the version that shipped from day 1. Fails on Multisession DVD but is OK with CD Multisession...

May be you just rushed to judgement of thanking "Nero" for solving all of your problems.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:11 am

Not all...just some major ones...I am also suspecting poor quality Verbatim DVD-R disks as well. I copied 25 folders to my hard drive...copied them 5 at a time...from each of my drives (Benq 1640 and Plextor 716A). Total of 5 sessions...no errors...using Taiyo Yuden. Could play a major role in the success or failure of the multisession burn. Prior to this...I could not get the Benq to do Multisession at all. Now it does...not totally out of the woods...but I can see some daylight out there...hopefully they'll get version 7 as good as 6 became...

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby edelbeb on Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:32 am

I hope this isn't the promised pre-new year fix. DVD+VR is still broken. DVD+VR's created with 7.0.14b freeze at the menu screen during playback. I'm sticking with 7.0.1.2.
edelbeb
Buffer Underrun

Re: New version of Nero 7.0.1.4b

Postby allynm on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:35 pm

bigblu91 wrote:There is a new version of Nero dated today.

I think its rather comical that in over a month and a half, a simple gui option bug could not be addressed, even where it was acknowledged almost instantly in the feedback request thread:

Specifically, "NO DRIVE BUFFER IS DISPLAYED WHILE BURNING" in this thread

I may not be an expert programmer, but i do have a hard time understanding how this fix could take more than only a few minutes to implement, especially since the code for displaying the buffer status should be a straight carryover from the previous version, and is likely already there, just not correctly referenced by the setting under options.

How useful can this 'ticket system' be when items so obvious to all users can take this long to correct. This would be totally understandable when Ahead was up-and-coming, but cannot be acceptable given the current high-profile that Nero has built up over the years.

It's not like Ahead is some tiny company. It makes large bulk deals to distribute its software to many companies, as well as retailing Nero on store shelves all over the world. If a minor issue can not be addressed in over a month, it may be time to stop scrounging those pennies and hire on some more programming talent. A few beta testers couldnt hurt either, and would help to prevent the more obvious errors that seem to show up in every major update.

I don't mean to flame, really, I just hate to see good apps get a bad name through the mismanagement of updates to that software. It just gets annoying, especially when the loyal users are intentionally sold a product containing sub-alpha type bugs.
allynm
Buffer Underrun

Re: New version of Nero 7.0.1.4b

Postby CCampbell on Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:27 am

allynm wrote:
bigblu91 wrote:There is a new version of Nero dated today.

I think its rather comical that in over a month and a half, a simple gui option bug could not be addressed, even where it was acknowledged almost instantly in the feedback request thread:

Specifically, "NO DRIVE BUFFER IS DISPLAYED WHILE BURNING" in this thread

Actually, this will be resovled in the next release of Nero 7 posted on the website. But not in the fashion you may expect. Our Engineer looked into this and found this option should not have been there at all, as it does nothing because there is not such feature. We only show the Recorder Buffer status, not the Hard Drive buffer status. And we never have displayed the Hard Drive buffer status. The time we took was to see why this was there in the first place and who put it there. We had to go through the code to make sure it actually does not do anything, and that it should not have been there.

So we are removing this from the MISC features.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Re: New version of Nero 7.0.1.4b (now 7.0.5.x)

Postby allynm on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:43 am

CCampbell wrote:Our Engineer looked into this and found this option should not have been there at all, as it does nothing because there is not such feature. We only show the Recorder Buffer status, not the Hard Drive buffer status. And we never have displayed the Hard Drive buffer status. The time we took was to see why this was there in the first place and who put it there. We had to go through the code to make sure it actually does not do anything, and that it should not have been there.

So we are removing this from the MISC features.

Craig,
Do you realize that this feature has been the default in nearly all previous versions of NERO? Users immediately noticed the change, as someone else almost immediately pointed it out, and tried to 'fix' it by setting the check box in misc options. Hard drive buffer status is needed for the following reasons:
- It aids the user in preventing unnecessary underruns, as if they are about to do something that may impact the buffer significantly, they can watch the buffer status, and abort the other operation if the buffer starts to drop.
- It is a whole lot better than the absolutely annoying file zipping over to dvd animation crap.*
What is odd is that the window format is identical to that of 6.x.x.x, but the buffer status was replaced with that poor excuse for taking up gui space. New versions are supposed to be better and more feature-rich. Removal of such a basic indication as drive buffer status is more of a step back, isnt it? The correct 'fix' would have been to add the functionality as opposed to simply deleting the feature.

* note (from above) : since it is so annoying, i often find myself minimizing the window during the burn, which is a bug in itself, because if the burn completes with the window minimized, after hitting 'ok' in the pop-up dialogue and restoring the nero window, you get this:

...which is quite useless.

How can such alpha level bugs be present in what is now a x.x.5 version?
allynm
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:12 am

i must be missing something.
what hard drive buffer are you guys talking about ?
allynm, can you post a pic? i don't have Nero 7 and never saw a screenshot of the while-burning window.
AFAIK, Nero (5.5-6.x) shows 3 bars:
  • progress bar
  • burner hardware buffer
  • software buffer (this is on the hard drive, yes, but it's a cache, not the HD's hardware buffer).
or am i wrong about that?
which of these buffers isn't Nero 7 showing?
has Nero ever shown the HD's hardware buffer ???
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby allynm on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:35 am

dodecahedron wrote:which of these buffers isn't Nero 7 showing?

The burning window in nero 7.x is identical to previous versions, except the topmost buffer (software cache/buffer) has been replaced with an animated file copy looking thing with the logo "ultra buffer" on the right side of it. I'd post a cap, but I'm at work. Will follow up when I get home, unless someone else beats me to it.
allynm
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:53 am

the Ultra Buffer logo on the right is also in Nero 6.
never understood why it's there. stupid GUI design IMO. :x

if the software cache bar is missing, that sucks.
and if it's gone for the reasons Craig gave, it sucks even more.
but those explanations (that it doesn't do anything) can't be true, since every burn of Data i see it filling up at the beginning (before the actual burn) and just before the end of the burn you see it drop gradually to zero. so it seems to me that it does indees show the usage of the cache.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Justin42 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:42 pm

I've actually seen the software buffer go up and down when my system got overloaded (I have the occasional PlexTools shoots up to 100% CPU usage problem).. it definitely does something. Total cop-out saying the software buffer doesn't.
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby allynm on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:04 pm

dodecahedron wrote:i must be missing something.
what hard drive buffer are you guys talking about ?

It turns out TWO of them are missing, now that i did screen caps of some of the various versions.

5.x (i think):
The original design from who knows how long ago.

6.6.1.4:
The "Ultra Buffer" thing was added to the bottom right, as dodecahedron mentioned earler. Window and bars look slightly different because I'm using a different theme than i did back in the 5.x days.

7.0.5.4:
It turns out that BOTH the writer cache status and buffer cache status gone. This only leaves the progress bar.

So much for knowing you are underrunning the crap out of a burn because of something else the system may be doing.

Side note: the "ultra buffer" status never really worked properly to begin with. Near the end of a burn, where you would expect it to go down smoothly to 0%, nero would jump around for a few seconds at 90%, then make an instant jump to 50% and go down steady from there. Even with these flaws, you still at least had an idea that the buffer was dry and the writer was choking on a slow data stream.

It occured to me that the only reason I hang onto Nero is for generic file burning to dvd. If alcohol handled that task, Nero would be gone completely. I say this because it is unlikely that 6.x.x.x will be updated further and 7.x.x.x is a corpse that wont die.
allynm
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:21 pm

allynm wrote:7.0.5.4:
It turns out that BOTH the writer cache status and buffer cache status gone. This only leaves the progress bar.

fucking unbelievable :o :x :evil:
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)