Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Burning Problem: Nero read buffer drain

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Burning Problem: Nero read buffer drain

Postby dr_st on Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:54 pm

My LG GWA-4161B has recently developed a strange problem.

Know how when you burn a disk in Nero, the read buffer is usually almost full (95%-99%)? Well, now, when I burn a disk (be it a CD or a DVD), the buffer drains itself constantly and refills itself back again (from 15% to 90%, back to 15% etc). As a result, the burning process takes more than twice the time.

I seem to vaguely remember that this problem is known, but haven't been able to find any quick answers, so I came to ask you guys (after all, what's a better place to ask about CD/DVD issues?)

Is it a hardware problem indicating that the drive might be dying? Could it be software/drivers? For what it's worth, on my other burner (LG GCC-4521B), everything is all right.
dr_st
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:20 pm

did you make sure DMA is enabled ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dr_st on Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:29 pm

Weirdness.

I looked at the settings for the IDE channel the GWA-4161B is on, and indeed it was in PIO only, although I have no idea why.

I changed it to DMA, rebooted, made sure it was still in DMA mode.

However, it had no effect. The buffer drain and the slow burn are still present.

Is there any other place where DMA settings must be set?

Oh, and before anyone asks - both my burners are on completely separate channels. The hard disk is SATA, so it's also on a different channel.
dr_st
Buffer Underrun

Postby Scour on Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:19 pm

dr_st wrote:
Is there any other place where DMA settings must be set?

With some mainboards you can set DMA in the Bios

But take a look at the settings. You can only enable "DMA if possible". Look what is written under these words
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby chubby on Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:53 am

is that a bug or a hardware defect?

i also experienced this on my cd burner the buffer is blank but burns the disk ok. wierd... excuse me english :P
thanks for the replies folks, your suggestions are well noted.
chubby
Buffer Underrun

Postby Scour on Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:24 pm

chubby wrote:
i also experienced this on my cd burner the buffer is blank but burns the disk ok. wierd... excuse me english :P

Most CD-burners have a buffer-underrun-protection, so the burned media should be ok in every case.
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Re: Burning Problem: Nero read buffer drain

Postby ImLuKe on Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:33 am

dr_st wrote:My LG GWA-4161B has recently developed a strange problem.

Know how when you burn a disk in Nero, the read buffer is usually almost full (95%-99%)? Well, now, when I burn a disk (be it a CD or a DVD), the buffer drains itself constantly and refills itself back again (from 15% to 90%, back to 15% etc). As a result, the burning process takes more than twice the time.

I seem to vaguely remember that this problem is known, but haven't been able to find any quick answers, so I came to ask you guys (after all, what's a better place to ask about CD/DVD issues?)

Is it a hardware problem indicating that the drive might be dying? Could it be software/drivers? For what it's worth, on my other burner (LG GCC-4521B), everything is all right.

I've got the same problem with the same dvd recorder. I dont know what happens with it and I can't find the solution to this problem on the web. Anyone knows what can I do?
The only thing that comes to my mind is that perhaps is something about dust or dirty mechanisms.
Thanks for everything, LuKe
ImLuKe
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers