Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Please help a newbie to dvd -rw - WHICH DRIVE?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Please help a newbie to dvd -rw - WHICH DRIVE?

Postby relyea70 on Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:39 pm

Hello,
I am new to the forum and do not have any experience with dvdrw drives but have had and used a cdrw for several years.
I wand to use dvd disks primarily as storage for music and data and wanted some opinions from you guys about which drive would be best for me. I do want a dual layer dvd +/- burner because of the amount of storage provided per Dual layer dvd. I also want a burner that has excellent cd writer capabilities.
I am more concerned with reliability, durability, and quality rather than speed, although I do not want something super slow, especially when it comes to burning cd's. MY LG CD-RW / DVD ROM has been excellent I just want to be able to burn dvds as well. Also a burner that is not "media brand picky" -if there is such a drive- is very important as I will use the cheapest media available. I also want a burner with at least 16X dvd read and a good quality CD read as well.
From my research on dvd burners I would love to have a BenQ DW1640 but the few I can find are out of my price range of US$45 (as are the dw1620's), my second choice is the NEC-ND3550A.
Any advice or opinions in this area would be a great help as I do not want to end up with a piece of junk.
relyea70
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:12 pm

The DW1640 sounds like the best choice for you. Unfortunately, with the DW1650/1655 on the way, most places are phasing them out and they're not as cheap as they once were.

If you want a deal on a DW1655, Staples has an I/OMagic branded one for $40-$50:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20978
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

GOT 1

Postby relyea70 on Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:43 pm

I bought a NEC-ND3550A for $43.88 delivered to the door haven't got it yet but orderd it) from new egg.com, hope this was a good buy and price.
relyea70
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers