Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Christmas -> New Years -> CES...info grinds to a hault

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Christmas -> New Years -> CES...info grinds to a hault

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:49 pm

This has got to be the most boring time of the year for people like me. Sure the presents and the parties and the all night sleepovers with pretty ladies are great... but all my regular contacts are M.I.A. :o

My contact at Maxell took boxing week off (that's the week starting Dec 26th for you non-Canadians/non-Europeans), and now is in Vegas for CES (although he's told me he'll be checking e-mail)

My contact at Optodisc... actually pretty much *ALL* of Optodisc is going to CES tomorrow.

Verbatim is also busy prep'ing for CES

BenQ is not replying to e-mails, and the last response I got was short and something along the lines of "sorry, we're really busy right now". I'm sure it's Christmas, New Years and/or CES related

Even my more unmentionable contacts are more unmentionable then usual (more unmentionable since there is in fact, nothing to mention :P )

Anyone else wishing they were at CES? :cry:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:07 pm

Yep, some of my contacts took off before Xmas and won't be back until a week after CES. Must be nice. :roll:
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Justin42 on Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:54 pm

It sure seems like CES this year has a LOT more going on, and a LOT more anticipated information, than normal. I'm not quite sure what happened-- is it from COMDEX, et al, closing down? Or what?

I remember back in the 80s CES was huge, then it went into a downturn as E3 and the like pulled some of the gaming/technology stuff away, but it seems back with a vengance this year! Wish I was going. :(
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:12 am

Yeah, with no more Comdex, CES is THE big show for most US companies.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby LoneWolf on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:39 am

Sure wish they had a CES in Chicago, like it used to be with Comdex. Admittedly, Comdex Chicago (when it came back from hiatus around 1995 or `96 if I remember right) went downhill pretty bad after the first couple years, but their first few shows when they came back were quite good, and I just can't justify plane fare or vacation time to Vegas (work often let me write of Comdex Chicago for a day/night as a conference, since it's within 3 hours driving distance).
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden