Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Scratch-Less CD-R Discs

Burn baby burn!

Scratch-Less CD-R Discs

Postby Ian on Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:27 am

Has anyone else tried Scratch-Less Disc's CD-R media? The company sent me some samples and they're pretty slick. Like most "scratchless" discs, these use a scratch proof polymer coating. What makes them stand out though is the bumps on the bottom. These "AERO-BUMPS" create a gap between the disc's recording surface and say the top of a desk or table.

Here's a closeup of the bumps. Take note that they're two different sizes.

The discs are also supposed to have an EZ-UP-EDGE that makes them easier to pick up. Honestly though, the edges don't look very different from normal CD-R discs.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:28 am

Oh yeah.. these discs seem to be manufactured by CMC.

Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:52 am

I've got one too... I gotta admit, the whole bumps on the CD-R really seem to work. It's been bumping around my desk for a couple weeks, with no particular effort made to keep it unscathed, and it's duing remarkably well.... far better then any HARDEND coat media I've done the same too :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:04 am

Yeah, I think I'm going to pick some of these up for work. For whatever reason, I seem to destroy my OS install discs.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:56 am

Ian wrote:Yeah, I think I'm going to pick some of these up for work. For whatever reason, I seem to destroy my OS install discs.

Where can you buy them? I haven't seen them for sale anywhere yet. Also, I'd recommend doing an article on them if you're up to it. I think they're worth it (especially since before I aquired the disc I thought it was a stupid idea, and now see I'm wrong!).
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:18 am

i wonder how these 'bumps' affect the disc balance, and long-term tolerance to high-speed reading (stessing the material).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:41 am

dodecahedron wrote:i wonder how these 'bumps' affect the disc balance, and long-term tolerance to high-speed reading (stessing the material).

Well, I wouldn't recommend burning them at full speed, or expecting them to playback properly at full speed. 32x maximum I'd think.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:48 am

we need more 'exploding CDR' experiments. :lol:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby bill on Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:38 am

That's a clever design! Having been guilty of disk abuse in the past I can see the value even at a dollar per disk.

I was suspicious of how they would work in a slot loading player but according to their web site it's only been a problem with a few players. Link

What do you guys think of the polymer coating? Do you think the polymer could break down over time causing read errors?

Dolph,

Micro Center has a 10 pack spindle for $10
bill
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby Ian on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:17 am

Dolph, Amazon and Tigerdirect carry them as well. Amazon seems to be the cheaper of the two.

dodecahedron wrote:i wonder how these 'bumps' affect the disc balance, and long-term tolerance to high-speed reading (stessing the material).

It sounds like they've really tried to balance them. That's part of the reason why they're using two different sized bumps. This is a good page:

http://www.scratchlessdisc.com/aero.html
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:25 am

Well, it seems like they've put both a lot of thought and effort into the whole idea.

You know, this pricing isn't too different from lightscribe... but for some reason I find it more justified. Maybe since I know the process is probably much more difficult, or maybe because I think the discs have more value? Either way, I'm always happy when a company seems to actually THINK before they decide to DO.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:03 pm

I have to agree, these look really neat. They're put a lot of engineering into it (or clever marketing that looks like engineering ;) ) and it kind of makes you wonder why no one thought of something like this before.

I just wish they weren't CMC discs. I mean, what's the point of having an indestructable disc if the media itself isn't absolutely top-notch? (Or has CMC CD-R media greatly improved in the last few years? I swore off them ever since a 100-pack spindle of Imation branded CMC CDRs yielded about 85 coasters... :x )

If there were TY discs, I'd buy a couple packs in a heartbeat to try them out. I hope they start making DVDs like this..
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:06 pm

CMC media is alright. I just won't use it for long term storage.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:07 pm

Ian wrote:CMC media is alright. I just won't use it for long term storage.

And now your comment about OS install discs makes perfect sense... since when has a PC based OS had any long term value :lol:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:52 pm

Yeah, especially when you slipstream in patches and service packs.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby pranav81 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:44 am

Looks cool.But dont you think it's a bit pricey?

::Pranav::
Increasingly mathematics will demand the courage to face its implications.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives