Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Annoying adverts

Need help with the website? Have feedback? Post it here.

Annoying adverts

Postby RJW on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:56 pm

These days I have the feeling that cdrlabs boards are trying to irritate me as much as possible.
I have never seen more annoying commercials on a site as on this one.

1st -It seems that localisation have come up with a vey irritating and very noisy advert of Talen scout.nl
(If your unlucky you have it in both adverts blocks and the noise will go asynchrone and really bad.)
Now while this one was more annoying as the annoying thing. (incase of the frog it only makes noise when you go over it. THis one allready makes noise when loaded !!!)
While I could overcome this one by simply only visiting cdrlabs withouth my speakers on.

2nd The next one was even more worse. It's called winfixer it puts a lot bars which even if you click cancel (or if you try to put it down.) give you more crap.
Very frustrating also it seems to block loading of the actuall content !!.

I can understand the need of ads to some level.
But with the current rise of more and more irritating adds I think that under the current situation I feel that the next ad will probally go beyond my limit of tollerance.

So be a little bit more selective or I think I probally decide to keep out.
(Which one hand would be a good thing. Less users means less web trafic which means lower costs which means less adds for other folks. ;) )
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:37 pm

As a subscriber, I don't see the ads so its up to you guys to let me know which ones are annoying and need to go. I'll do what I can to track these down and get rid of them. They're the banner ads up top, right?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:44 pm

The Talent Scout one is gone. I don't blame you for being annoyed. That singing was terrible.

If you can give me more info on the Frog and Winfixer ones I'll get rid of those too.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby RJW on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:19 am

The frog is not on your site I used it as example.
It was rated by quite some european sources as most annoying.
Which caused jamba's crazy frog to be called most annoying thing.
Which I didn't understand completely because it only made noise if you moved your mouse over the advert.

So it's still the winfixer. Hmm It first has to show up again befor I can give more details. Because currently I don't see it popping up.

Yeah I know I should fix a subscription over time but as it's known students do not have infinite ammounts of money. :-?
So it probally be not befor I get a job.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:25 am

Found it.
It's in the pop up that only happens once (a month)( that is if you use cookies.)

It starts with a box:
Http://b.casalmedia.com
Which says:
warning - if your computer has been running slower than usual, it may be infected with adware or Spyware ! To scan your computer for such infections click yes below.

YES/NO -> leads to: http:www.spywarestormer.com/index.html

I found out that it is possible to close it with a left click at the topbar in mozilla. This way it won't open the other stuff which will open if you press the cross.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:05 am

Ugh.. I hate ads that won't let you close them. Okay.. that one is gone too.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby stix on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:10 am

Glad you brought this up RJW.

I agree, the ads are pretty darn obnoxious, especially the ones with rapid blinking, flashing and shaking movement. The ones I am seeing at the moment are "Congratulations! You have won our hourly prize, blah, blah, blah" and "You've Been Selected: Free XBOX360. Click here (to hear the bogus details). " It's all a bunch of garbage. What's the point of bombarding legitimate visitors to the site with such a bunch of junk? also annoying are the always present pages that nag after you have closed the CDRlabs page. Just as much a bunch of garbage.

Ian, can't you take a look at the site without being logged on as a subscriber?
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:02 am

I agree. Some of the ads are annoying but alas.. that's what is available. I've been trying to get some more appropriate ads but the companies we work with aren't interested in advertising to the North American market.

Which ones nag you after you close the page? The pop behinds? If you have your cookies enabled you should only see those once or twice a day.

Again, we also offer our Subscription Program. It's an affordable way to eliminate all the ads and the money goes directly to supporting the website.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:07 am

Is it just me or are those "You have won.." ads showing up all the time?
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby stix on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:08 pm

Appreciate that you are looking at this issue Ian. BTW some of the ads are perfectly decent. Then there are the others, which seem to be in the majority.

At the moment I'm seeing 3 of this one:

http://cdn.fastclick.net/fastclick.net/cid45572/media91157.gif

earlier, there were 3 of the "You have won...." ones, and yes, they do show up all the time.

Pop behinds, is that what they are called. Earlier there was this one: "Mate 1, intimate dating" via casalemedia.com. Sounds sleazy to me. And there was "Warning- your computer may be infected..." from fastclick.net. These show up alot. what a bunch of garbage.

Why limit ad market to North America, this site has participation from various parts of the world.
I'm aware of the subscription program, as many of us probably are. I've thought about it. I may join, I haven't decided. Have you looked at your heating bill lately? and other living expenses? Does one really want to pay to help support a site that bombards unpaid visitors with obnoxious, misleading, deceptive, junk ads? There must be advertising available that is decent and not so offensive. CDRLabs is a class act. The ads should be consistent with that.
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:30 pm

I agree on all counts. As it is, we are looking for someone to help filter out the crap and help bring in some more worth while ads (http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 7&start=25).
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby RJW on Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:18 am

Looks like winfixer is back.
Http://www.winfixer.com.

Fast way to get rido of it is to close it and directly close the next screen it opens if your to late more will follow.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:38 am

Ah crap.. is it coming from Casale again?

I hope you guys have noticed (and appreciate) that I've tried to eliminate a lot of the more annoying ads.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Way Cool!

Postby stix on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:28 am

Yeah!

Have noticed a very distinct upward trend in the ad content here over the last few days. What a pleasure! Most appreciated! How fitting for such a great site! =D>
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Return to Feedback and Help