Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero fails to recognize Lightscribe CD's (but not DVD's)

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero fails to recognize Lightscribe CD's (but not DVD's)

Postby rezdawg8 on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:47 am

Hi, I've yet to find a solution to this problem. I have an LG GSA-4166B with version 1.01 firmware. I'm useing the bundled version of Nero, which I believe is 6.6 (sorry but I'm at work and don't have access to my computer to check this right now). When I put in a Lightscribe DVD, label side down Nero recognizes the disc and allows me to write to it. When I put in a CD (and I have tried three different brands, including all the brands that match my DVD's which do work) Nero will not let me preview, or burn, it just locks up for literally a few minutes before giving me a "failed to identify this as Lightscribe media" error. I have updated both Nero and Lightscribe to the latest verssions that I could find. I have also uninstalled Nero, run their various cleaning programs from their support site and reinstalled with no success. At one time I had Droppix installed and Nero uninstalled just to try something different and Droppix would recognize and write to CD's. As soon as I reinstalled Nero, both programs stopped recognizing CD's once again. I have contacted LG by email and by phone and they told me to contact Lightscribe (or HP, or whoever they actually are). I've written to Lightscribe and they haven't answered. I have written Nero and they have failed to answer. I have checked various other forums and haven't found a single person with this same problem. I never would have guessed that CD's would have a different codeing on the label, but there you go. I keep unloading other programs from my computer that I thought might be interfering, but with no luck. Sorry about the length of this post, but I just want to clarify all the aspects of this issue! Thanks to anyone who can help! Andy
rezdawg8
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:23 pm

Hi Andy,

Could you find out what version of Nero you have exactly so that I can test with this version? Did you try upgrading to our latest Nero 6.6.0.18?

If you had not tested with another program and found it to be working with the CD LightScribe media, I would have assumed the issue must be hardware related based on the fact it works with DVD but not CD, and the recorder reports it's unable to recognize the medai and LightScribe media.

I do not have this LG drive in my US Lab, so I'll first confirm if the version of Nero you are using does in deed work wtih CD LightScribe media, would be nice to know what brands you tested as well, and then if this is working, and I am not able to obtain this LG drive, I'll have to generate a bug report and have our QA team in Germany test this. But it could be a week or two before they get around to it as they are currently putting the next Web Release of Nero 7 through the QA process and this is taking up a large part of their resources right now.

Regards,

Craig
Best Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

More info for Craig!

Postby rezdawg8 on Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:00 pm

Thanks for your quick response Craig, you are a life-saver in a sea of vapor tech support! I was running Nero 6.6.0.15, the version that came with the LG. I upgraded to 6.6.0.18 with the end result being: no change whatsoever. I must add that now when I launch Nero it no longer gives me the option of "Making DVD-Video" under "Photo and Video" but does still list all the DVD audio and data icons under their respective menus! Lightscribe "mysteriously" disapeared from the extras menu yesterday (while running 6.6.0.15) and has failed to return since, even after upgrading to 6.6.0.18. Let me know what other info I can provide you. I'm fairly savey with my computer and haven't had this much frustration since Windows 95!
Andy
P.S. Sorry I forgot to mention the media I have used: Verbatim DVD+R Lightscribe - positive results. TDK Lightscribe CD-R and Verbatim Lightscribe CD-R, both negative, except for a short time that I used Droppix while Nero was uninstalled, but since then various installation-unistallations have proven fruitless with all Lightscribe Programs (again with CD's only!)
rezdawg8
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:24 pm

Hi Andy,

I just completed my testing with Nero Burning ROM and Nero Express interfaces using an HP 540B Recorder and TDK CD-R and Verbatim CD-R LightScribe media. And I can not find any problems. I'll attach the screenshots from one of my write attempts with a Verbatim LightScribe CD-R media.

And I tested with our latest Nero 6.6.0.18 software.

You do make sure that under Nero Express's MORE->Configure->LightScribe that you have the option 'Always print LightScribe Label' enabled? By default this should be enabled. And that you have the latest LightScribe API installed using the below link?

www.nero.com/us/LightScribe.html (For US, Canada, and Mexico only)

Or fir the Rest of the World use the below link.

http://www.nero.com/nero6/eng/System_Re ... dates.html

If you are sure you have done all of the above, then I'll have to create a Bug Entry and have our QA team in Germany test with your exact model Recorder to confirm if this is an issue just with that model drive and our software. Are you working under Windows XP or some other OS?

Regards,

Craig
Attachments
Configure LightScribe.JPG
Configure window for LightScribe
Configure LightScribe.JPG (61.36 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
LightScribe Window.JPG
Creation Window for LightScribe
LightScribe Window.JPG (77.92 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
LightScribe Burn Process.JPG
Actual Burn process for LightScribe
LightScribe Burn Process.JPG (23.18 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

once more into the breach!

Postby rezdawg8 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:06 pm

Hello again,
I have tried the latest api, I'm using XP, and I have to mention that during the latest upgrade try, the DVD-video icon once again disapeared, but the DVD-data icon remains!
I must also mention that a friend let me use his copy of Nero 7 premium, just to see what problems that may create, but this was a non-issue since I can't find any mention of Lightscribe in any of the menus! Does Ver. 7 even support Lightscribe? I'm off to Best Buy to exchange drives, just in case it is a physical problem. I'll let you know if this makes a differance. I'm going to downgrade back to Nero 6 before I try all this again.
Thanks, Andy
rezdawg8
Buffer Underrun

One more time...

Postby rezdawg8 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:34 pm

Well, I exchanged LG drive and it turns out that the problem was with the drive itself. I think. The new one works fine with Droppix label maker (for both DVD's and CD's!). I haven't downgraded yet to Nero 6 to try out that version of Lightscribe and to be honest I'm afraid to try. I hate to think that a software error will again occur. I really do like the Droppix software better for label design at least (hint, hint). Could you tell me if Nero 7 really doesn't yet support Lightscribe? I still don't understand from even a mechanical standpoint why a drive would read Lightscribe DVD but not CD labels. I think that I might try emailing Lightscribe again to see if they can give me a technical answer. I also don't understand the disappearing icon in Nero. By default I realize that it needs to find a Lightscribe drive to show Lightscribe icons, but the disappearing DVD-video icon...weird. Thanks again for the help, I'll let you know if anything else strange happens. Andy
rezdawg8
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:02 pm

I've confirmed that Nero 7 does indeed work with LightScribe drives, using the LightScribe feature. I would have been surprised and disappointed if it did not. :-)

I'm not able to dupliate the 'disappearing' icon on any of my systems.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Thanks

Postby rezdawg8 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:54 pm

Thanks for all the help. I still can't find any lightscribe functions on my version of Nero (although Droppix works fine) I'll keep tabs on it and let you know if there is a simple fix, or conflict on my system. Andy
rezdawg8
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:30 pm

You need the following to get Nero 7 to work with LightScribe feature.

1) Nero 7 Retail serial key (Demo will not support this)
2) Latest LightSrcribe API. Use below link
http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/System_Re ... dates.html
3) A lightScribe Recorder
4) LightScribe Media

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)