Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Anyone know if lightscribe reduces lifespan of data?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Anyone know if lightscribe reduces lifespan of data?

Postby js26pub on Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:39 am

Does anyone know if Lightscribing a DVD puts the archival quality of the data at risk (or reduce lifespan) in any way? I'm just thinking that unlike a cd/dvd sharpie or an inkjet, Lightscribe is literally burning/etching into the disk. Has any media manufacturer claimed to have high archival quality on their lightscribe media? (And I'd be especially curious if the recommendations on this site with certain lightscribe burners to lightscribe it twice makes things worse or not in terms of data lifespan...)

Only reason I'd think about using Lightscribe would be for labelling (nicer than my handwriting and I'm too cheap to spend the money on a CD/DVD inkjet printer plus ink)...
js26pub
Buffer Underrun

Re: Anyone know if lightscribe reduces lifespan of data?

Postby ItalianJob on Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:42 am

Verbatim LS media are currently DVD+R 8X MCC003 mediacode.

I see some tests on CDF showing no differences in PI/PIF scan before and after the LS "print" (burning) process.
ItalianJob
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:10 am

You'd think it might have some affect, at least with DVD's as the LS layer is closer to the recording layer than it is with LS CD's.

Like non-LS DVD's and CD's, its probably going to depend on the manufacturer. If you buy cheap junk, they probably aren't going to last as higher quality media.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to DVD Writers