Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Two CD burner questions.

Burn baby burn!

Two CD burner questions.

Postby 46AERONCA on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:15 pm

My Liteon CD-RW Drive LTR-48246S either does not recognize its own disks for playback or it skips repeatedly during playback. Unit is about 2 1/2 years old and hasnt copied more then 25 cd's

1- Is it dead? I completely reformatted and reinstalled all programs on my PC using Win 98SE. Liteon will not respond to my email.

2- Is there a list that shows who is the actual MFG for the name brand CD drives? I dont want another Liteon hidden with a "Sony, NEC, Plextor label"
I want a quality Cd burner......not interested in a dvd at this time.
thanks,
Paul
46AERONCA
Buffer Underrun

Re: Two CD burner questions.

Postby Bhairav on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:24 am

46AERONCA wrote:My Liteon CD-RW Drive LTR-48246S either does not recognize its own disks for playback or it skips repeatedly during playback. Unit is about 2 1/2 years old and hasnt copied more then 25 cd's

1- Is it dead? I completely reformatted and reinstalled all programs on my PC using Win 98SE. Liteon will not respond to my email.

2- Is there a list that shows who is the actual MFG for the name brand CD drives? I dont want another Liteon hidden with a "Sony, NEC, Plextor label"
I want a quality Cd burner......not interested in a dvd at this time.
thanks,
Paul

1)DMA Enabled? Also check your IDE cable.

2)Get a Lite-On 5239 or LG 8526 drive. Both are quite good.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby 46AERONCA on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:01 am

DMA is enabled, the drive is recognized upon boot up and the cable is fine when using another CD rom.
46AERONCA
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:16 am

hello 46AERONCA, welcome to CDRLabs :D

i suggest you try installing the drive in another computer and see if it works fine there.

does the drive work after a clean install but before you install any other software ? (trying to rule out a possible software or driver problem, although i think that's unlikely).

the drive skips during playback - using what software ? did you try another software for playing.

if all fails, it might indeed be that your drive is dying.
LG and BenQ make their own drives, so if you buy one of those it's definitely not a Lite-On.
though to be hones, i think Lite-On CDRW drives are the better ones. if i were to buy a new one i'd buy a Lite-On.
too bad your LTR-48246S is giving you problems, it's one of the best CDRW drives.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives