Home News Reviews Forums Shop

ATAPI driver, a general standard?

Burn baby burn!

ATAPI driver, a general standard?

Postby jtan on Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:19 am

Hi there,

I wonder whether the ATAPI driver is a standard, we had some old machine with CD-Writer (Plextor PX-W4012TA), the writer refuse to work properly, we replaced it with Lite-On's, however, the recovery CD refuse to work properly giving an error of ATAPI device not found...

Any idea how I can find a CD that's very similar to Plextor's PX-W4012TA?

Thanks.
jtan
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:38 pm

Yes, ATAPI is a standard. That Plextor isn't THAAAAT old. It should work fine (unless the drive itself is damaged/defective).

Where are you getting these ATAPI errors? What kind of computer is it? You should try a new cable and/or be sure the drive's jumpers are set correctly. You may need to check the BIOS as well to be sure that the IDE devices are turned on and set correctly (and by 'correctly' I mean whatever your computer needs to see and configure them).
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:08 pm

hi there jtan. how's blue doing ?

my Plextor PX-W4012A is working just fine.

what do you mean by " the recovery CD refuse to work properly giving an error of ATAPI device not found... " ???
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby jtan on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:47 pm

Blue has passed away... :(

Well, we have some system that use a particular PC spec with Plextor drive, the Plextor drive refused to work properly, so we replaced the Plextor drive with Lite-On, that particular PC comes with a recovery disc, when I boot the recovery disc, it gives error message that no ATAPI was found... though the Lite-On is working properly on Windows.
jtan
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives