Home News Reviews Forums Shop

RIDATA Hard Coated, Double-Sided, Mini DVD-R Media

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

RIDATA Hard Coated, Double-Sided, Mini DVD-R Media

Postby Ian on Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:32 pm

Advanced Media Introduces Ridata Hard Coated, Double-Sided, 4X Mini DVD-R Optical Discs at Upcoming Retail Vision

Tough, Hard Coated, Mini Discs are Ideal for Camcorders and Other Applications Featuring 2.92GB Capacity or 60 minutes of Audio or Video Playback

Diamond Bar, Calif.--April 3, 2006 -- Advanced Media, Inc., manufacturer and marketer of the popular RIDATA brand of recordable CD and DVD media, electronic storage products, and digital media accessories is pleased to introduce RIDATA Hard Coated, Double Sided, Mini DVD-R 's. Advanced Media will be showcasing the new Mini DVD-R's at Retail Vision that will be held in San Antonio Texas on April 4-7, 2006.

The compact 8cm size, hard coating and universal read-compatibility make Ridata Mini DVD discs an ideal medium for a broad range of mobile storage applications, including storage of multimedia content -- digital audio, video and still images, graphics, business presentations, internet downloads and data sharing. The discs will have a street price of less than $2 a disc (in a pack of 10).

"We are continually developing new storage products to meet the demands of the ever changing digital storage marketplace," said Harvey Liu, Advanced Media president. "Accurately capturing video is critical to videographers, they need tough, storage media they can depend on. Ridata products have been at the forefront of U.S. optical storage for five years. Globally, Ritek is widely recognized for its dedication to customer service and extensive high quality storage media offerings."

Ridata Hard Coated, Double Sided, Mini DVD-R Features a 4X recording speed and each side can record up to 1.46GB.This creates storage for up to 60 minutes of Audio & Video recording time virtually eliminating the need to carry numerous discs. For security, the information on the DVD-R is permanently recorded (write-once) and cannot be altered or erased with an archival life span of over 100 years. The small discs are also compatible with DVD-ROM drives and DVD-Video players.

The special hard coating technology protects media against scratches that can occur when the discs are transferred between cases, camcorders and DVD players. RIDATA Hard Coated, Double Sided, Mini DVD-R 4X media are up to 100 times more scratch resistant than standard optical discs and will easily wipe clean fingerprints, ink smudges, and accidental food or beverage spills. Hard Coating features rapid static discharge to aid in preventing dust from adhering to the disc.

By reducing the amount of dust that contacts a camcorder's sensitive internal optics, Hard Coating helps maintain hardware performance and will aid in the longevity of a camcorder. Furthermore, RIDATA Hard Coating Double Sided DVD media provides three times greater resistance to damaging UV light, more than any other DVD media available.

Another key advantage of the double-sided discs' configuration is convenience. It allows users to read, write, or view nearly twice the amount of data than do single-sided DVD discs without having to change discs. It offers a widely compatible DVD backup and data archiving format for a variety of applications.

About Advanced Media (RITEK USA)
Advanced Media, Inc. is a subsidiary of RITEK Corporation, the world's largest optical media manufacturer. Advanced Media is the sole North and South American marketer and distributor of the RIDATA brand of recordable CD and DVD media as well as other types of electronic storage media.

The RIDATA brand currently includes: CD-R/RW, DVD+/-R/RW, DL DVD+R/R, and DVD-RAM optical discs; flash memory cards, adapters, and reader/writers; USB drives; and assorted media accessories. Since its formation in 2001, Advanced Media has experienced phenomenal annual growth and is already a leading marketer of electronic storage products in the American market.

RITEK for years has been defining and redefining the optical storage market. Around the world, its name is synonymous with innovation, quality, and unparalleled consistency. Its QS 9000, ISO 14001, ISO 9001, ISO 9002, and Six Sigma certifications prove RITEK's commitment to quality control.

Advanced Media is headquartered in Diamond Bar, California. For further information, call (909) 861-2269 or e-mail: info@ritekusa.com. The Advanced Media web site is located at: www.ritekusa.com.
Last edited by Ian on Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:36 pm

Gotta love that street price :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:26 pm

They forgot to put in the street price. I edited it.
Attachments
Ridata MiniDVD.jpg
Ridata MiniDVD.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 4128 times
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby [buck] on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:56 am

Ritek press releases never cease to amaze me. It's unbelievable how much bullshit they can cram into a single one. :lol:

Having said that, $2 for a hard coated, double sided mini DVD-R doesn't sound bad to me.
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:31 am

I'm not sure what the purpose of hard coated Mini DVD-Rs is though....

Hardcoated DVD-Rs make sense for mastering purposes, or media you need to last through frequent use, or for parents with young kids. Hardcoated DVDRWs make sense because they are used and re-used and re-used constantly, especially by some style of companies.

But what do you need hard coated Mini DVD-Rs for? :-k
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:49 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:I'm not sure what the purpose of hard coated Mini DVD-Rs is though....

Hardcoated DVD-Rs make sense for mastering purposes, or media you need to last through frequent use, or for parents with young kids. Hardcoated DVDRWs make sense because they are used and re-used and re-used constantly, especially by some style of companies.

But what do you need hard coated Mini DVD-Rs for? :-k

Yes, that is a good point. Hard coated mini DVD-Rs shouldn't be necessary, but considering how poorly 75% of the general public handles any kind of optical disc, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to hard coat ALL media! :o
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:35 am

They're for camcorders. When you're on the go and you're handing a bunch of discs, you don't want to scratch them.

I think at this point, its cheap enough for companys to hard coat everything.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby [buck] on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:09 am

Ian wrote:I think at this point, its cheap enough for companys to hard coat everything.

I totally agree, Ian. Most major manufacturers should already have a "hard coat" developed, in anticipation of Blu-ray, where it will be necessary.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I can't see it costing more than $0.10/disc for a scratch resistant coating if done in large quantities. I think that's a price most consumer would be willing to pay.
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:01 pm

Is hardcoating REALLY that cheap? I thought it added $0.20-$0.30 USD to the cost of manufacturing.... but I might be wrong on that.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby jberry on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:30 pm

are there any GOOD hard coated regular sized dvd -rs
First Post Made a While Back.
I Like Chocolate Milk with Dream Whip.
jberry
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:57 pm

jberry wrote:are there any GOOD hard coated regular sized dvd -rs

Maxell's BQ 8x DVD-Rs :D

Memorex's are crap (and mine are completely unburnable!!)

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:23 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Is hardcoating REALLY that cheap? I thought it added $0.20-$0.30 USD to the cost of manufacturing.... but I might be wrong on that.

You would know more than me...

re: good hard coat DVDRs, how could you forget TDK!? Verbatim VideoGuard is probably pretty good too, but I don't actually know.
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:13 pm

[buck] wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Is hardcoating REALLY that cheap? I thought it added $0.20-$0.30 USD to the cost of manufacturing.... but I might be wrong on that.

re: good hard coat DVDRs, how could you forget TDK!? Verbatim VideoGuard is probably pretty good too, but I don't actually know.

It's not that I forgot, it's that I didn't know for sure :wink: I've had such incredibly bad results with TDK, I don't assume quality or consistancy from them anymore. Verbatim has its' own issues, but is more likely to be good I think. Still, I don't know.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:17 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
[buck] wrote:

It's not that I forgot, it's that I didn't know for sure :wink: I've had such incredibly bad results with TDK, I don't assume quality or consistancy from them anymore. Verbatim has its' own issues, but is more likely to be good I think. Still, I don't know.

I've never heard complaints about TDK's scratchproof media. When you're getting ~$2, you can afford to use your best media. Of course, TDK scratchproof is made in Luxembourg or rarely, Japan.

I wonder what TDK will do when they stop producing media. I guess CMC will produce their scratchproof media, too. :x
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:38 pm

[buck] wrote:
I've never heard complaints about TDK's scratchproof media. When you're getting ~$2, you can afford to use your best media. Of course, TDK scratchproof is made in Luxembourg or rarely, Japan.

I wonder what TDK will do when they stop producing media. I guess CMC will produce their scratchproof media, too. :x

It's true, my bad experiences with TDK have always been with their non-scratch proof media....

If CMC starts making their Scratch Proof media, Hopefully it's better then Memorex's :o

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers