Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Why do people become idiots when it snows?

What was that?

Why do people become idiots when it snows?

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:26 pm

It finally snowed around here last night. We probably got less than an inch but it was slippery. Do you think people would remember how to drive in this sort of weather? Hell no. And I mean this is Wisconsin.. not some place like Virginia where the whole state shuts down when they see one flake of snow.

You'd also think that the city would look at the weather report and go "Oh shit.. its gonna snow tonite. Maybe we should start salting and plowing before people go to work." Nope. Some of the main roads were so bad I saw a bus pile into a car. A frigging bus!

Ok.. I'm done ranting.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Justin42 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:33 pm

Heh, you think watching people drive in snow is bad, come to LA when it drizzles rain!

"AAAAAAARGH!! WATER IS FALLING FROM THE SKY!!!!!!! HOW WILL WE SURVIVE!!!!!!"
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby jjones on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:00 pm

I didn't know it started snowing in Wisconsin already. It's worse when there is only a small amount of snowfall and it melts and freezes over. You can be driving on ice and that can be dangerous. Even snow tires are useless on ice. With the snow falling now, the Green Bay Packers should be playing better now :)
jjones
CD-RW Thug

Postby LoneWolf on Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:32 pm

Snowed here in Michigan too. And it seems every time the first snow falls, people act like they're from down South and have never seen it before in their lives, and proceed to drive like idiots. Three main types:

A) Those who keep their head and drive reasonably. They slow down a bit knowing it takes longer to stop, and change lanes with caution, but they continue to drive confidently and defensively, rather than blocking traffic or being a menace.

B) Those who drive 30-40 in a 70 zone instead of perhaps 55-60, because "OMG!!! There's HALF AN INCH of snow on the roads!!! And I forgot my snow chains and studded tires!" (though those are illegal in MI)

C) Those who either think they're immortal, or go "I have FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!!! SCORE!!! I can continue to drive 80MPH in a 70 zone, and recklessly tailgate others and weave through traffic because I have a big 4x4 with ABS brakes!", of course, forgetting that four wheel drive isn't any better on ice than two-wheel, their vehicle is bigger and heavier, thus taking more inertia and time to slow down or stop, and that they're more prone to flipping if they go in a ditch, or causing damage/injury to vehicles smaller than theirs.

Driving home last night (35-40 mile commute) would have been fine, if types B and C weren't on the road. Last night it was mostly type B, but I gave an Acura TL a good close-up view of my brake lights this morning as he came up on my tail at 80mph (I was behind two other cars and a semi --What did he think, we'd all just disappear or cower at his manly might?)
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:49 pm

We got some snow up here in the Twin Cities, and so far, people don't appear to be overly stupid yet.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:06 pm

No snow in Vancouver yet.... but apparently that doesn't stop us from dogsledding all the time (according to some US commentators ) :roll:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:43 pm

LoneWolf wrote:C) Those who either think they're immortal, or go "I have FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!!! SCORE!!! I can continue to drive 80MPH in a 70 zone, and recklessly tailgate others and weave through traffic because I have a big 4x4 with ABS brakes!",

no, no, no, you have it all wrong-- they go fast because they faster they go, the sooner they get where they're going, and therefore are off the road. :o

Duh!

;)
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:12 am

I believe the same front that swept through 'sconsin and Michigan made it here to Upstate NY today. Forget how people drive in the snow, what about the way people drive when it's NOT snowing?! What percentage of accidents do you think are truly accidents (i.e. neither party is to blame)? Usually, there is someone at fault, and the reason is most likely stupid (driving too fast, driving wrecklessly, not paying attention, etc). That's what irks me; when I have to sit in traffic because some dingus was weaving in and out of lanes or talking on his/her cell phone and rammed into another car.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby seaegg on Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:50 am

Ian just be thankful you don't live in Winnipeg. People here who drive 4x4s for some strange reason seem to think they can drive at any speed on snow and ice because they have a 4x4. It's funny how many of them I pass in the ditch or buried tightly up the backside of some poor unfortunate because they couldn't stop in time. I was courier in the winter of 96-97 and that taught me all I needed to know about winter driving conditions namely respect them. I haven't had an accident for 9 years touch wood for that reason. That's not to say I don't have to dodge other drivers on a daily basis but you develop a sixth sense after a while. Pay particular attention to the white haired senior in front of you because they don't shoulder check they just indicate and change lanes. I've had to choose snowbanks as an alternative to an accident on 3 occasions so now I give them a wide berth. It's not that they're bad drivers but I guess as you get up in age the ability to turn your neck to shoulder check is limited.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:50 am

Yes, senior citizens are the worst drives out there. It's just getting worse with all the baby boomers getting up in age. Since they are the voting majority, they'll never be able to pass a law making them retake their drivers test.

We got about a 1/2" of snow yesterday. For whatever reason, there were accidents all over the place. I think most of them were due to driving too fast. #-o
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:05 pm

On the way to work this morning, I saw a guy in his car, sitting on top of a 3' pile of snow. I have no idea how he got up there as the roads were finally dry after the storm we had last week. The guy musta been hauling ass too to get up on the curb and then up on the snow like that.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Spazmogen on Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:30 am

I love all of the stupid people who reveal themselves when it snows...

"Stupid People Pay My Mortgage."

Without them, I'd be working for minimum wage somewhere.
I enjoy asking them if they have their winter survival kit with them when they ask me how long it will take for an officer to rescue them.

We got snow here again overnight. And to think I was golfing last week in a T shirt and jeans.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Return to Rants n' Raves