Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero 7.0.8.2 released

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Postby CCampbell on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:37 pm

TCAS wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:
TCAS wrote:3) Find C:\Documents and Setting\UserName\LocalSetting\Temp and delete all files in this temp folder ( This is very important step).
interesting.
can you tell which files there are used or created by Nero?
(there are some files that cannot be deleted, they are "being used" etc. by some background processes.)

No vital file is residing in "Temp Folder" therefore it is safe to delete the content of folder which almost %90 are Nero files, even when you use clean disc function of windows the folder is up for grap to be deleted. May be Craig could verify this.

A little late, to say the least, but you are correct. :-)

P.S. Our latest Clean tool will resolve this now as well.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:43 pm

jberry wrote:why can't they just make an updater....should not have to "clean the house" for an update....shoddy programming

We do now have an update feature in our Nero 7 program. When the next release comes out in the next 3 to 5 days, you can just go to Nero's StartSmart and under Nero ToolKit->Nero ProductSetup you can do an automatic update, that only downloads those components needed to update the software. So you no longer need to download the 100MB file, or use the Nero Clean Tool to uninstall the old version before updating.

We will also have resolved the issue of the Nero software reporting as Nero Demo, among a number of other fixes.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:52 pm

LoneWolf wrote:If this quote on the front page is seriously true:

Nero has announced that they will be previewing the newest version of the Nero 7 software suite at CeBIT. Among other things, this new version features an Electronic Program Guide, surround sound recording and playback and built in internet telephony.

then I don't think we'll have a stable Nero till at least Version 8, if ever.

I don't WANT freaking Internet telephony on a CD/DVD BURNING PROGRAM. Why the heck I'd want an EPG is another quesion too, though I could see that becoming useful if Nero added a PVR component (which makes more sense as a second program that can meld with Nero than adding to the monster we already have). The feature creep is maddening. Why not get a burning program right before you start adding a bunch of crap to it? Do what you're supposed to do well. If I wanted IP telephony, I'd get Skype.

I miss Nero 5.5.10. It did what it was supposed to do, no more, no less. I still like Nero 6.6; if you do minor audio and video editing, some of its additional features are useful, though the bloat is starting to rival Roxio products. But if the above quote is true, 6.6.xx will be the last version of Nero to ever grace a machine I use. I'm sure there are other programs out there that do the things that I want stably, without loads of features I don't use that take up extra disk space, with more optimized code because the programmers spent more time on optimizing for what the product was originally designed to do than on silly extras. It seems almost as if Ahead Software was taken over by pointy-haired bosses in the past year or two.

I can understand your not wanting all the features in Nero 7. And there is no need too either. We do allow you to do a selective install, so that if all you want is Nero Express or Nero Burning ROM, then that's all you need to install. And we will of course be adding the ability to Record TV programs, and more.

I agree Nero 7 is getting 'Large', but users should only install those components they need or want. The price does not change if they get more features, it's still $99.99 dollars. And when the time comes when they do need a 'Telephony' type software, they don't have to go and purchase it, they only need go into the Nero StartSmart and install that feature when they need it.

And there is the point of 'Too Much, Too fast' which some would say is causing some of Nero's Programs not to perform as we have in the past. I must honestly admit this is true. :-?
However, we see this and admit it has affected our performance since the release of Nero 7 in some areas. And we are making large strides in addressing these issues. The teams assigned to this are not involved in the new product development so it does not detract from each other. And in the next few months, we are going to be concentrating more on performance and reliability improvements than in new features.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby vio_man on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:55 pm

What about the MP3 decoding problem where clicks and pops are introduced in the final Audio CD?? I can't really understand how Nero can still have this bug after so many time. I was able to find a very old MP3Pro.dll that doesn't have that decoding issue.
vio_man
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:58 pm

Ian wrote:I totally agree with Justin42. It would be nice if Nero would fix the issues people are experiencing before adding stuff like VoIP capabilities (what does this have to do with burning CD's and DVD's anyway?).

I wish I could tell you guys what is going on over there. Aside from Craig, very few people at Nero respond back to my emails. It makes me think that they just don't care anymore. It's sad too since we've been a big supporter of Nero for a long time.

VoIP is something we have been shipping in retail as a stand alone package for a few months now in our Nero SIPPs connect software.

We will just be rolling this into Nero 7's Nero Home feature. So the development is very minimal and the impact on programs is none, as consumers have been using Nero Sipps connect wtih Nero 6 and Nero 7 for some time already.

And we are going to be taking a step back in the coming months to concentrate on improving performance and reliability in our current Nero 7 bundle.

And if someone is not responding to your Emails Ian, please let me know and I'll see what can be done to resolve it. :-)

We have been very busy as of late, even myself, but that is not an excuse. And I do apologize to everyone for my long absence. I will be taking steps to address this, which more than likely will mean me getting assistance in manning the forums.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:04 pm

vio_man wrote:What about the MP3 decoding problem where clicks and pops are introduced in the final Audio CD?? I can't really understand how Nero can still have this bug after so many time. I was able to find a very old MP3Pro.dll that doesn't have that decoding issue.

The problem I have been having here is in duplicating this issue. I've seen a number of reports, so I do not doubt there is a problem. But I've yet to be able to create a system that can duplicate this issue. I've even contacted our OEMs to see if they have run into this, or are able to duplicate it, as I would be over at their site in a minute if there were able to duplicate this issue.

Can you tell me if the MP3 files you see this issue with were created wtih VBR or not? If you know of one file that never shows this symptom and a file that always shows this symptom, then if you could provide these files to me so that I can look them over and see what the differences are between them, and see if I am able to then duplicate the issue on one of my systems. But so far out of the 5 customers who sent me samples audio files, they all worked on our systems. #-o

Very frustrating to say the least.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby vio_man on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:53 pm

Well, I do remember one of the songs which was created with clicks and pops and I will upload it somewhere and tell you the URL.
vio_man
CD-RW Player

Postby vio_man on Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:05 am

CCampbell: As I promised here goes the MP3 file. It's indeed VBR. I can try asking a friend of mine to provide me another MP3 with the same decoding issue. He told me he was getting clicks and pops in that music, but they weren't audible in the MP3.

Download it here: http://www.rapidsharing.com/d8a489a2a08e4203dea0d28e5605f643
vio_man
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:59 pm

Thanks Vio_Man,

I'm off to Vegas for the NAB show, but I'll have our OEM Tech Manager download the audio file you provided for testing.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:04 pm

vio_man wrote:CCampbell: As I promised here goes the MP3 file. It's indeed VBR. I can try asking a friend of mine to provide me another MP3 with the same decoding issue. He told me he was getting clicks and pops in that music, but they weren't audible in the MP3.

Download it here: http://www.rapidsharing.com/d8a489a2a08e4203dea0d28e5605f643

Hi Vio_man,

For some reason I am not able to download this file. But it's only a little over 3MB in size, so could you email that to me at Techsupport4@nero.com?

THanks!

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby vio_man on Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:18 am

You've mail Craig :wink:
vio_man
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Mon May 01, 2006 6:31 pm

Hi Vio_Man,

I did a quick test today to CD-RW media at 10x speeds with the MP3 audio file you provided, as well as 9 MP3 files of my own, and the resulting CD sounds great. No pops, silence, or skips.

If you like, I can send you a CD-R disc I created with this audio file, along with a copy of the Nero Log file from the write operation.

I admit that I ran the test using our latest Nero 7.2.0.3 from off our website, as that is what I had installed on my laptop at the time.

This is the problem that I have been having with a few other customers that have reported this problem. I am simply not able to duplicate the symptom. I've provided them with full Audio CD's from 13 or less MP3s that they sent to me on CD by mail.

If you like, you can send me some more audio files that you have this issue with, and I can test them in mass.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby vio_man on Mon May 01, 2006 9:19 pm

I could reproduce the problem here and I sent you a detailed e-mail. Please check it.
vio_man
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Tue May 02, 2006 4:40 pm

Hi Vio_Man,

I did recieve your Email. I'm on the road again, but will try and address this on Friday, following the steps you provided, when I have some free time. I return to the office on Monday.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)