Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Most consistent sales brand for DVD media NOW

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Most consistent sales brand for DVD media NOW

Postby Halc on Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:53 pm

Ok, this is a hard one and I know I'm going to get differing opinions.

Up until last spring when Plextor DVD+R 8X / Jewel case / Made in Japan was readily available locally I had a trusted disc I could use.

It worked, never barfed and the quality was consistent (for me) throughout several batches.

Well, those times are now long gone and that disc is no longer available.

In my current testing batch of 15 most common disc types, I've been trying to come across a replacement.

You know, a disc that is consistently good quality and very compatible with firmware of burners.

Under one brand.

No bothering with MID-codes, serials, "Made in Info", dye colours, packaging types, sale brand variations, etc.

Just one brand that I can recommend to my ordinary consumer friends. A sales brand which works for 95% of the cases and works well.

What would be _in your opinion_ such a sales brand (please don't specify a MID or factory, but a sales brand) or one that comes closest?

That is: the safest dvd media brand to buy for an ordinary consumer.

If you want, you can specify/limit your choice by region (i.e. best choice for Noth America / Japan / Europe / etc).

Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets :)
Last edited by Halc on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:09 pm

For North America, I think the safest is currently the Verbatim branded 16X DVD+R media (with DVD-R close although I think it may be even and just depends on if your burner prefers + or - media). I've had very good luck with it and it seems quite consistent.

Sony media is good but does seem to vary in quality, although now it seems most of it is pretty good. From all I've heard, the MIT is pretty equal to the MIJ media.

TDK may be coming close but aren't there yet. They USED to be ages ago...
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:13 pm

I don't go through nearly as much media as others here do but I've (mostly) had good luck with Verbatim blanks- Super Azo (or whatever it's called at present)- DVD+R 8x, 12x (sic :o), 16x and 2.4x DL.

There was only one batch of 8x (CMC made with code X47A) that didn't agree with my LiteOn SOHW-1213S (with 1633S fw at the time), but that worked fine in a friend's BenQ 1620.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:51 pm

Verbatim has had too many consistancy problems (*cough*PRODISC&MBIL*cough*), so I'd recommend Maxell Plus series media (only available in North America though). It's a professional end product, priced similarily to Taiyo Yuden. It's got the compatability of a Japanese made product (it helps that it's made in Japan!), it has less bonding issues then Taiyo Yuden, and it's got Maxell's great quality and customer service (the customer service is probably inferior to Verbatim in Europe though! I hear insane stories about them!).
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby frank1 on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:24 am

For western Europe I recommend this sales brand:

They are DVD-R 8x from TDK of MID code TTH01 and ScratchProof.

You find them in big stores like FNAC & Auchan in France
and at MediaMatkt in Germany their price is 1,5 € a piece.

There is an « industrial DVD » from TDK equivalent to them.
They are sold cheaper and in spindles for example on line here

They do not appear on their site: www.tdk-europe.com
They onlbut only on the site TDK Luxembourg
under "Industrial DVD":
http://www.tdk-lu.com/index.php?id=74&sa_from=73

The first on top at the left "DVD-R Scratchproof" are TTH01 despite the indicationr: « Rec Speed - 4x »
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:08 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Verbatim has had too many consistancy problems (*cough*PRODISC&MBIL*cough*), so I'd recommend Maxell Plus series media (only available in North America though).

Verbatim 16x media in North America is all made by CMC and seems fairly consistent. As far as 8x goes, I think MCC003 made by Prodisc is less variable than MCC003 made by CMC, though really good batches of either is about the best +R media you can get, on par with the best YUDEN000T02.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:14 am

Title is misleading:
Because most consistant. Can also mean consistant crap - In that case may I recommend moviestyle (Fake codes.) :lol:

On topic.
Well I don't know about swedens market what's available or not.

But let's assume it's the same as the DUtch market but more screwed which seems to be the case on the input so far.

TDK(SCRATCHPROOF),MAXELL PRO, SOME GOLD Media. is all media that is hard to get and which means the consumer will have a to hard time of getting the media which means probably no buy in the end.

This question sucks. After taking availability into account and support I come to the conclusion that Verbatim 16x +R probably will be the best shot.
But still this isn't as nice how it used to be. Because it has quite some variation problems in other words Plextor 8x was a much better option but it is discontinued. Plextor 16x will propably be available to you over the next months still so far it performs worse as verbatim.
To give you a idea of the difference if I would give plextor 100 points for recommended buy then I would give verbatim 16x something between 70-80 points.

So why did verbatim get the recommendation then:
1 - Quality is most times ussable
2 - Support.
3 - Lifetime waranty.
4 - Availability.
5 - Less bonding issues as TY and normal maxell !!
6 - Disc's so far did ok in most real life ageing or accelerated tests.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:11 pm

Thanks!

Very good input from all.

Disc's so far did ok in most real life ageing or accelerated tests.

I wonder if we are talking of the same discs?

Didn't longevity_freak have huge problems with Verbatim DVD in just room conditions in Singapore?

Also, my friend's accelerated aging test have shown not so rosy results for Verbatim.

I can't for the life of me remember now the factory/mid-code/made-in-information for them.

Not that Plextor would be any better (with de-laminatio issues and all), mind you :)
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:13 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:so I'd recommend Maxell Plus series media (only available in North America though). It's a professional end product, priced similarily to Taiyo Yuden. It's got the compatability of a Japanese made product (it helps that it's made in Japan!), it has less bonding issues then Taiyo Yuden, and it's got Maxell's great quality and customer service (the customer service is probably inferior to Verbatim in Europe though! I hear insane stories about them!).

I have some Maxell DVD-R 8x, made in japan, RG03, the label is silver. Are these media have critical bonding?
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:01 pm

Scour wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:so I'd recommend Maxell Plus series media (only available in North America though). It's a professional end product, priced similarily to Taiyo Yuden. It's got the compatability of a Japanese made product (it helps that it's made in Japan!), it has less bonding issues then Taiyo Yuden, and it's got Maxell's great quality and customer service (the customer service is probably inferior to Verbatim in Europe though! I hear insane stories about them!).

I have some Maxell DVD-R 8x, made in japan, RG03, the label is silver. Are these media have critical bonding?

Since Maxell Europe threw a hissy fit at the idea, I don't have any Maxel Europe discs to compare against. So I really don't know for certain.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:08 am

Halc wrote:Thanks!

Very good input from all.

Disc's so far did ok in most real life ageing or accelerated tests.

I wonder if we are talking of the same discs?

Didn't longevity_freak have huge problems with Verbatim DVD in just room conditions in Singapore?

Some problems and some not was verbatim. -> (But then again I think the guy had problems with all stuff. ??) Also I didn't think he allready used the 16x version.

Industry information says the following. Mitubishi pigment is expensive compared to the competition. However compared to most older pigment it performed much better when it comes to stability.

C't+ One other test it did fine. But rethinking brings back the man on cdfreaks who was doing some tests and who had some problem with all verbatim media and contacted them and it was going to be researched.

I have seen no reports of disc's becomming unreadable in some months under normal conditions. (unlike RITEKG05 and so) Or disc's falling a part when taking them out of the box. (TY !)

Also, my friend's accelerated aging test have shown not so rosy results for Verbatim.

I can't for the life of me remember now the factory/mid-code/made-in-information for them.

Not that Plextor would be any better (with de-laminatio issues and all), mind you :)

I know. Also I wonder how much of the encountered problems are based on manufacturing and storrage and how much are based on the actuall dye stability. Because if you have huge problems with verbatim and it's the dye then you also should have huge problems with some other stuff to.

Also shouldn't you first test then look at your results then compare them if possible with some other tests. Then check feedback and then conclude your safe choice ??

I'm wondering what's available and will be there on the market for some time. So may I ask which media your so far going to use or allready tested as you said my friends test has not shown ?
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:05 pm

Also shouldn't you first test then look at your results then compare them if possible with some other tests. Then check feedback and then conclude your safe choice ??

Indeed, this is what I'm planning to do.

However, this question is to:

A) gauge 'best possible recommendation' while our test is still in preparation (and two months away)

B) to find out possible candidates for our tests that we haven't yet included.

All of your comments have been helpful in this regard.
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:39 am

Some media you could check up on if you haven't.

All are code consistant.

Ricoh 16x +R-> allways RicohjpnR03(up untill ricoh decides to launch a new product version. A possible silver edition with another code is possible. But it will say silver edition ! ) -> But it seems hard to get in sweden.
RICOH 16x -R -> allways CMC MAG AM3 -> Again hard to find.
RICOH 8x +R silver edition MMORE ->MBIPG101R04 -> Again hard to find.

MMORE 16x +R -> MBIPG101R05 -> ???

Emtec/HISPACE MPO GOLD 4x -R -> Rare to find but I've noticed that slowly shops are picking up this one over here. But in your country it should be close to non existant according to my sources.

Acrocircle 8x +R/-R ->OPTODISCR08/OPTODISCR008

Traxdata* 8x +R/-R ->RitekR03/RitekG05 - Should be rare but available.
(*note you can also use primedisc or ridata all 3 should be A-grade Ritek in europe.)

SONY 8x +R/-R -> SONYD11/SONY08D1

I think that's it. All other stuff has bee named or is not consistant enough.

If you need any (except acrocircle but you can probally ask Dolphinius Rex for that one) of the above let me know.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:05 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:Verbatim has had too many consistancy problems (*cough*PRODISC&MBIL*cough*), so I'd recommend Maxell Plus series media (only available in North America though). It's a professional end product, priced similarily to Taiyo Yuden. It's got the compatability of a Japanese made product (it helps that it's made in Japan!), it has less bonding issues then Taiyo Yuden, and it's got Maxell's great quality and customer service (the customer service is probably inferior to Verbatim in Europe though! I hear insane stories about them!).

Is there any real difference between Maxell Plus and regular retail Maxell DVD-Rs with MXLRG03 media code?
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:17 am

Gen-An wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Verbatim has had too many consistancy problems (*cough*PRODISC&MBIL*cough*), so I'd recommend Maxell Plus series media (only available in North America though). It's a professional end product, priced similarily to Taiyo Yuden. It's got the compatability of a Japanese made product (it helps that it's made in Japan!), it has less bonding issues then Taiyo Yuden, and it's got Maxell's great quality and customer service (the customer service is probably inferior to Verbatim in Europe though! I hear insane stories about them!).

Is there any real difference between Maxell Plus and regular retail Maxell DVD-Rs with MXLRG03 media code?

Yeah... in North America, almost every spindle of Maxell (MIJ) product has MASSIVE bonding issues... except for the Maxell PLUS series and BQ series, which are almost entirely safe (I've had 1 report so far... I suspect it's a very limited problem, since I've check several from various sources).

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby weetoots on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:39 am

Dolphinius_Rex,
Where did you buy the Maxell Pro and where can I find Taiyo Yuden?
I would like to try something else besides Verbatim 16x in my BenQ1640. Verbatim is OK, but will only burn good at 12x. Although speed really doesn't matter.
Thanks,
Al
weetoots
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:04 am

weetoots wrote:Dolphinius_Rex,
Where did you buy the Maxell Pro and where can I find Taiyo Yuden?
I would like to try something else besides Verbatim 16x in my BenQ1640. Verbatim is OK, but will only burn good at 12x. Although speed really doesn't matter.
Thanks,
Al

Well, I get mine directly from Maxell Canada :wink: But I usually recommend most people to NCIX.com for them. There's a sale on them right now for $19.99 CAD for a 50pk of the white thermal ones.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Re: Most consistent sales brand for DVD media NOW

Postby Gen-An on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:03 pm

Halc wrote:Ok, this is a hard one and I know I'm going to get differing opinions.

Up until last spring when Plextor DVD+R 8X / Jewel case / Made in Japan was readily available locally I had a trusted disc I could use.

It worked, never barfed and the quality was consistent (for me) throughout several batches.

Well, those times are now long gone and that disc is no longer available.

Those discs are still available as unbranded Taiyo Yuden (the actual manufacturer of the Plextor discs): http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant. ... Code=DVPTY
Also, www.futurepowerpc.com still carries the Plextor 8x DVD+R media.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby joceppie86 on Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:28 pm

so i see all the comparisons and contrasts so where can i get these dvds at, im talking bout Taiyo Yuden(branded??...i want the white tops not the "shiny silver", Verbatim, and Maxell Plus...i always thought Memorex was the best until i read a couple of boards and everyone crapped on them saying they use cheap india media and other stuff...also how can i tell if a brand name(maxell, verbatim...), is using ty media? do i juts look for teh made in japan on the label or what??
joceppie86
Buffer Underrun

continued..

Postby joceppie86 on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:00 am

i dont want to buy in 300 packs or 5, 10, 15 packs with cases, i just want a 50 pack on a spindle
joceppie86
Buffer Underrun

Postby Justin42 on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:07 pm

Made in Japan is almost always good media, but not always TY. Sony can be either its own brand or TY if it's Japanese.

It's getting VERY hard to find TY on store shelves anymore.

Memorex is horrible. Stay far, far away.
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Re: continued..

Postby [buck] on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:59 pm

joceppie86 wrote:i dont want to buy in 300 packs or 5, 10, 15 packs with cases, i just want a 50 pack on a spindle

This week, Best Buy has Sony 50pks of 8X and 16X DVDR media for $15, assuming you're in the USA. Just make sure to get a spindle "made in Japan", as frankly, MIT Sony sucks.
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:26 pm

[buck] wrote:
joceppie86 wrote:i dont want to buy in 300 packs or 5, 10, 15 packs with cases, i just want a 50 pack on a spindle

This week, Best Buy has Sony 50pks of 8X and 16X DVDR media for $15, assuming you're in the USA. Just make sure to get a spindle "made in Japan", as frankly, MIT Sony sucks.

I've seen no difference in quality between the Japanese and Taiwanese SONY08D1 and SONY16D1 media.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:53 am

Gen-An wrote:
[buck] wrote:

I've seen no difference in quality between the Japanese and Taiwanese SONY08D1 and SONY16D1 media.

Every Daxon made Sony disc I've ever used has been very poorly bonded.
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby joceppie86 on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:38 pm

thx for the help
joceppie86
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers