Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Sony shows off Blu-Ray on a laptop... using a DVD-R...

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Sony shows off Blu-Ray on a laptop... using a DVD-R...

Postby aviationwiz on Tue May 16, 2006 4:16 pm

http://gearlog.com/blogs/gearlog/archiv ... 11622.aspx

On one table Sony execs proudly displayed two ARs playing early Blu-ray content: The House of Flying Daggers (below). They even had the Blu-ray packaging. So exciting...but WAIT! I went ahead and ejected one of the Blu-ray drives to see my first Blu-ray disc. Instead, I found a crummy, old school DV-R, complete with the Sharpie-written, House of Flying Daggers. Apparently even Sony can't get its hands on Blu-ray content!

Awesome!
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby vinnie97 on Wed May 17, 2006 2:21 am

lmfao, I've been saying it since last year...I'll be surprised if the PS3 even launches this year. :P
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed May 17, 2006 3:17 am

They actually used a Verbatim DVD+R....

I *DO* buy the argument that it probably wasn't a full movie, and that it probably WAS BluRay equivilant in resolution. Still, it's pretty hilarious that Sony was using another brand of media for the demo. But I can *ALSO* say that some other big names in the media industry have done the same thing! I know one of my friends who works for a fairly large and recognizable brand name purposely used a competeing brand of media at a fairly large internal conference, as part of a protest on the restrictions of getting media samples. It went over well with some, and less well with others :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Alektron on Thu May 18, 2006 6:29 pm

I don't buy the idea that they had put a non-compressed version of the Blu-ray movie onto a DVD+R. In order to pull it off, they would need to have a special firmware on the DVD player to read the uncompressed Blu-ray file information. I don't believe it. I think the DVD+R contains a compressed version of the DVD movie. They reduced the quality of the movie on the DVD+R in order to make the side-by-side laptop comparison with the Blu-ray disc very favorable.
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu May 18, 2006 7:15 pm

Yeah, I don't think it was the entire movie. If it was HD quality video, there's no way they'd fit two hours of it onto a standard DVD. That is if they used MPEG-2, which I believe Sony was using for their initial titles.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri May 19, 2006 3:16 am

It's not like most of the original footage for these movies was made in HD format anyways... :wink:

And as someone who works closely with various production companies shooting in Vancouver, I can honestly say that many movies STILL are not shot in HD formats.

So any HDDVD or BluRay movies will be "upconverted" at best...
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives