Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Pioneer and Sony NEC Optiarc To Develop 18x DVD Writers?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Pioneer and Sony NEC Optiarc To Develop 18x DVD Writers?

Postby Ian on Wed May 31, 2006 10:01 am

Maybe I'm reading more into this than I should, but NEC's latest press release mentions that both Pioneer and Sony NEC Optiarc plan on developing drives using their new MC-10041 chipset:

http://www.necel.com/ja/news/archive/0605/3101.html

Moreover, new system LSI schedules to be adopted for record type DVD drive that Pioneer Ltd. and Sony NEC Optiarc Ltd. will develop in the future.

Personally, I'm more excited about 16x DVD-RAM, but I'll take 18x DVD writing speeds too. :D
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed May 31, 2006 12:29 pm

I'm not interested in 18x DVD recording... if I want *SPEED* I'll use my LG at 16x, or my BenQ DW1640 with WOPC disabled. So far I've yet to see a drive faster at 18x then either of those.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby pchilson on Wed May 31, 2006 6:50 pm

I think the 18x speed is just a last gasp at having a drive they can market while DVD is alive and mainstream. When we see 16x DVD-RAM show we are probably at the end of the cycle on DVD.
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Wed May 31, 2006 8:56 pm

18x.. what a gimmick. I do not care one single bit about 18x recording. In theory, it translates into what, 10 seconds faster? In practice, it's slower than the fastest 16x drives.

16x is already pushing the limits of DVD technology if you ask me.

16x DVD-RAM sounds fine, but if my estimation is correct, it's still SLOWER than burning a DVD-R at 6x! #-o
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:03 am

[buck] wrote:16x DVD-RAM sounds fine, but if my estimation is correct, it's still SLOWER than burning a DVD-R at 6x! #-o

check here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=110
the pics are here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=107
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby [buck] on Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:36 am

dodecahedron wrote:
[buck] wrote:16x DVD-RAM sounds fine, but if my estimation is correct, it's still SLOWER than burning a DVD-R at 6x! #-o

check here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=110
the pics are here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=107

Ah... I didn't know the verification part could be turned off.
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:34 am

i don't know that either. i wonder how he did it.
or maybe it's just CDSpeed.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:33 am

We were burning DVD-RAM discs at 12x weeks before them..

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21565
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby karangguni on Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:13 pm

Ian wrote:We were burning DVD-RAM discs at 12x weeks before them..

Definitely. Nobody's arguing with you over that :) Those two posts were not really boasting about burning 12x DVD-RAM discs in general; they were more about the fact that the cross flashed LG GSA-H10A->H10N was finally confirmed to be able to burn 12x DVD-RAM discs at 12x.

Anyway, on the topic itself, I think whoever wants to put out a DVD writer which is capable of 18x DVD+/-R writing has got to get it to write a full disc in under 5min, otherwise it isn't worth bothering about. The current LG DVD writers using P-CAV writing for 16x burns are faster than Plextor's PX-760A at 18x. The fastest full 16x burn on an LG writer (forgot which model exactly)I can recall, was 5:18.

16x DVD-RAM capability is a fine idea, but only if 16x DVD-RAM discs are made easily available! No consumers outside of Japan can get hold of 12x DVD-RAM discs at the moment.
karangguni
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:42 pm

karangguni wrote:
Ian wrote:We were burning DVD-RAM discs at 12x weeks before them..

Definitely. Nobody's arguing with you over that :) Those two posts were not really boasting about burning 12x DVD-RAM discs in general; they were more about the fact that the cross flashed LG GSA-H10A->H10N was finally confirmed to be able to burn 12x DVD-RAM discs at 12x.

more to the point:
i mentioned those posts by Jan70 since, in his own words, "the total writing time of the DVD-RAM 12x@12x without verification, is excellent, and even faster then most burners will write DVD+R/-R media at 16x."
this was in response to [buck]'s words about 16x DVD-RAM being slower than 6x DVD-R.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:50 pm

The thing is.. how many people burn DVD-RAM without verification? I use it primarily for packet writing, which isn't ever a speedy process.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:00 pm

those would be the same people who burn DVD+/-R without verifying the burn manually themselves.
is 16x DVD+/-R with verification (either Nero or some other app such as CDCheck) any faster than 12x DVD-RAM with verification? probably not much of a difference. and then DVD-RAM has defect managemet and rewritability.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Gen-An on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:19 pm

karangguni wrote:Anyway, on the topic itself, I think whoever wants to put out a DVD writer which is capable of 18x DVD+/-R writing has got to get it to write a full disc in under 5min, otherwise it isn't worth bothering about. The current LG DVD writers using P-CAV writing for 16x burns are faster than Plextor's PX-760A at 18x. The fastest full 16x burn on an LG writer (forgot which model exactly)I can recall, was 5:18.

There's been a 760A burn that matches that:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p ... stcount=31
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:37 pm

dodecahedron wrote:those would be the same people who burn DVD+/-R without verifying the burn manually themselves.
is 16x DVD+/-R with verification (either Nero or some other app such as CDCheck) any faster than 12x DVD-RAM with verification? probably not much of a difference. and then DVD-RAM has defect managemet and rewritability.

Automatic is one of the biggest benefits of DVD-RAM. If I need to make a speedy burn, I'm going to use DVD+R or DVD-R. :roll:

The fastest I've gotten the PX-760A to burn a DVD is about 5:45. Of course, that's with Nero and both AS and PoweRec enabled. Disabling these features and using PlexTools might make it faster.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby frank1 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:22 am

I like to know one thing
burning a DVD-RAM without verification is only possible under the test "Creating a Data disc" in CD DVD Speed [since v. 4xx or so of this software]

In the real world : I mean in a drag and drop of a 100 MB or maybe 500 MB file
on a DVD-RAM formated in Fat32 via the Explorer under windows XP
it is impossible to disable the defect management.
Even in a real burn of a full DVD-RAM with Nero 6 (data or video) it seems to me that it is impossible to disable the defect management.

So let us talk about burning speeds divided approximativeley by 2 with defect magagement always ON:
5x CLV /2 = 2.5x CLV
12x P-CAV: average 10.22x /2 = 5.1x
16x P-CAV or CAV= ?
frank1
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers