Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero 7 memory utilization?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero 7 memory utilization?

Postby zmerch on Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:21 pm

On my system {1} Nero 7 whilst burning a DVD consumes about 300 Megs of RAM. Well, with only 512Meg (only? My first computer had 16K of RAM!!! :o ) the computer goes directly to swap, and I can't burn at 8x because the drive's BurnProof kicks in as the buffer can't stay full without any more free RAM.

I'd love to drop back to Nero 6 (no new features I'd actually use in 7 anyway) except InCD 4 doesn't like my Pioneer drive very well, and happily converts both DVD+RWs and DVD-RWs into coasters that nothing but InCD 5 can erase.

Yes, I've tried to run InCD 5 with Nero 6, but Ahead did an exceptionally good job of not allowing 2 different versions to run on the same machine; and by the time I was done diddling with the registry, I had both applications thouroughly confused. #-o

Nero 6's memory utilization wasn't exactly on a diet (about 50M as I recall) but was certainly well within tolerances. I downloaded the Gear Pro 7.0 evaluation, and it consumes about 12Meg RAM; but the interface is kinda klunky.

Anyone else experience problems with memory utilization with Nero7?

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

{1} Dual-Core Athlon 64X2 4400+, 512Meg RAM, 160G SATA Drive, Shuttle SN21G5 chassis, Win2K w/latest updates, Pioneer DVR-107D.
zmerch
Buffer Underrun

Postby MonsterMan on Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:03 pm

Nero is a hog - memory & CPU. It bogs down my Athlon 64 3700+ with 1GB RAM. I can burn fine, but trying to do anything else is a futile experince.

I have LONG since given up and use either CopyToDVD or better still, just make an ISO image and use ImgBurn...
BenQ 1655, BenQ 1620, LG 4167, Plex PX-716SA, Samsung SH-S162L, SH-S182M, Pioneer 111D, Lite-On SHM-165H6S and 1.9TB of HDDs to feed 'em and an X2/4800 to crunch for 'em.
MonsterMan
CD-RW Player

Postby zmerch on Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:21 pm

MonsterMan wrote:Nero is a hog - memory & CPU.

So true - but: 1) I don't mind the CPU hog part - I always try to have a spare. ;) My older home system is a dual Athlon MP 2600+, and my new system at work is an Athlon 64 X2 4400+. If it jacks 1 CPU, no big deal; I have at least 2GHz to spare. ;) I could "justify" Nero6 using about 100Meg because it did it's job very well and quite easy whilst not making my computer completely unusable.

MonsterMan wrote:... or better still, just make an ISO image and use ImgBurn...

Yea, but that's an extra step I'm not accustomed to diddling with...

For the record: I still have Nero6 installed on my home machine, and it uses about 100Meg RAM burning a full DVD. Not chickenfeed, but doesn't render my machine useless, either.... If Nero7 used that amount, or even 120Meg or so, I could live with it - but I see *nothing* that justifies a 3x jump in RAM utilization!!! :o

Anyway, thanks for the info!
Roger "Merch" Merchberger
zmerch
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)