Home News Reviews Forums Shop

TDK or Sony DVD+R 16x media?

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

TDK or Sony DVD+R 16x media?

Postby norbertofh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:27 pm

Hello,

I hope this is the right place to ask this: I've been always a fan of TDK disks. I've been buying them since I used to burn CD's, and a few years up to now DVD's.
I never had a single issue with TDK +R DVD's, not a single coaster, at least with the 4X and 8X discs (I don't know their number, but I'm talking about those DVD's with a backface in a very light blue, kind of turquoise color). Nevertheless I noticed that my latest burned DVD's didn't burn all that well, as the DVD's that I burned at 16x are only recognizable with my DVD burner drive (a NEC 3500AG).

So the DVD's that are giving me the trouble are the latest TDK+R DVD's, 16X certified, which have a dark reflective blue backface, with some "saturn" rings around the center, that come in a 25 disc sprindle.

Considering that I can't burn these DVD's properly at 16x, I'm thinking of buying a sprindle of Sony 16X DVD+R discs. Nevertheless, I don't know if this media is the same as these latest TDK, or if better or worse (well, at least they're prettier, as I really hate that TDK backface where I can't read what I write with my marker).

So, would you advise the 16X Sony DVD+R's? Is there more than one Sony 16X type, or is there only one kind of dye available for that speed?

Best regards,
Norberto
norbertofh
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:53 pm

I use nothing but Verbatim.
DVD-Rs for movie type things, and
DVD+Rs for data and backup.

8X or 16X, doesn't matter.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:56 pm

I've been pretty impressed by Sony's own discs (Sony MID). They're hard to find though.

Who makes those TDK discs? What's the MID?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby norbertofh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:13 pm

Ian wrote:I've been pretty impressed by Sony's own discs (Sony MID). They're hard to find though.

Who makes those TDK discs? What's the MID?

To tell you the truth I'm a little noob in these matters... I checked the disc for some numbers and I can see one kind of serial number near the dye (in a pseudo holographic ring), at the center, which has this:

DVD+R 5610C2

I can also read (with the help of a magnifying lens) this, carved on the inner ring of the DVD:

C05L280605? - 363

(the ? stands for something that I can't read, it seems a non capital "c").

Is this what you were asking?
norbertofh
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:36 pm

The easiest way to get the MID is to pop the disc in the drive and use CD Speed (www.cdspeed2000.com). Just click on Disc Info tab.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby norbertofh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:50 pm

Ok, then that will be TDK 003.
norbertofh
Buffer Underrun

Postby oslik3 on Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:56 pm

try getting the latest firmware for your NEC, maybe that will help burn TDK disks better...
oslik3
CD-RW Thug

Postby oslik3 on Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:56 pm

try getting the latest firmware for your NEC, maybe that will help burn TDK disks better...
oslik3
CD-RW Thug

Postby norbertofh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:13 pm

oslik3 wrote:try getting the latest firmware for your NEC, maybe that will help burn TDK disks better...

I checked their site, and although I don't have the latest firmware installed (I have the one before that) and the TDK media isn't listed in the new supported media.:(
norbertofh
Buffer Underrun

Return to Recordable Media Discussion