Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Accidentally inserted spacer disc in drive with DVD.Damage?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Accidentally inserted spacer disc in drive with DVD.Damage?

Postby Feu on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:36 pm

It turns out that when I got to the last disc in my Verbatim DVD+R DL 10 disc spindle, I accidentally grabbed not only the blank DVD but also the thin (much thinner than in other spindles) transparent protective insert / spacer that is at the bottom of most spindles.

I heard a brief, but unusual noise (like a disc spinning on another one and /or the drive trying to grab the disc(s) from my drive (hadn't started burning) right after inserting what I thought was just the blank disc.
I decided to eject it, only to find, when lifting the blank out of the tray, that the thin trasnparent plastic spacer was underneath the DVD+R DL disc.

The drive seems to be burning all right (burn has not completed yet), but I want to know if any damage could have occurred to the drive mechanism, or at least how to check it?
I mean just because burns work doesn't necessarily mean that nothing happened.
Does anyone know enough about the mechanics and internals of CD / DVD burners to know whether I should worry about this or not (i.e. whether anything would typically be damaged or not).

Thanks!

PS: If the insert had been thicker like old ones, I probably would have noticed the mistake before inserting the disc(s) into the burner.

Anyone else done this?

Thanks!
Last edited by Feu on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feu
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:20 pm

I've done this a few times with the spacer and with a second disc. It didn't seem to damage any of the drives I did it with.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:03 pm

Ian wrote:I've done this a few times with the spacer and with a second disc. It didn't seem to damage any of the drives I did it with.

Ditto, I've done it once or twice by mistake, and I've never noticed any problems with the drive afterwards. It's not something I would recommend or suggest trying, but I think the chances of causing catastrophic hardware failure are pretty slim :)
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Feu on Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Ian and dolphinius!
It certainly makes me feel better.

Update:
The burn completed without issues and the burned DVD did play properly.

The burner is only one week old, so I wasn't thrilled when I heard the noise when closing the tray and then again (perhaps a slightly different noise) when opening it.

I guess I worry too much...
I was concerned that something in the locking mechanism could have suffered damage or misalignment while locking the two "discs" (instead of the usual one [disc]); testing the disc with a DVD scanning utility should quickly alleviate those concerns.
Feu
Buffer Underrun

Postby Dartman on Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:30 pm

I've done it before too, makes a hellacious noise but doesn't seem to do any damage here either. I've also done it with my dvd players when I forget to double check the tray.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Feu on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:25 am

Thanks Dartman.
I guess the consensus (4 - 0) is that it doesn't seem to hurt.

If I knew more about the internals, I would know exactly what happens inside the drive mechanism (specifically the part that grabs the disc) when the thicker than usual media is inserted.
Feu
Buffer Underrun

Postby Dartman on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:34 am

I think the clamp gets overloaded a bit and the motor trys to spin up 2 disks at once so they spin on top of each other and make the noise, and get scratched badly sometimes.
Pop open a dead drive sometime and check it out, pretty informative just to see how it all goes together.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby stix on Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:06 am

I accidentally put a blank DVD, with one of the foam spacers on top, into one of my burners awhile back. It was the top-most DVD in a new cake box. I thought I had removed all the spacers, and didn't notice there was one remaining. It made some awful sounds, and I had a hard time getting the DVD out, like it didn't want to give it up. The spacer came out easy. There was a little bit of material that had scraped off of the center hole in the disk, like the top edge had a bevel.

Amazingly , the drive still works great. I have since opened it and cleaned out the debris.
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers