Home News Reviews Forums Shop

TYG03 Dissapointing Results

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

TYG03 Dissapointing Results

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:42 am

Now, as all the regulars on here know, I've been a staunch supporter of TY media for a long while. Well, for fun, I decided to whip out a disc I burned in around March-May of this year, at 16x, and test it out. You can view my results here:
http://www.aviationwiz.net/tyg03/tyg03.html

As you can see, rather dissapointing, especially when compared to this TYG02 disc burned at 8x back in September 2004:
http://www.aviationwiz.net/tyg03/tyg02.html

This has left me at a loss on what media to use. I have around 50 x TYG03 left, but it looks like that won't be used much. So far I've had Verbatim 16x DVD-R recommended to me, which I may give a shot. What about newer TYG02? Is that crappy now like the TYG03, or is it still good?

I have stuff to burn for friends, and certaintly won't be using TYG03 for it, but what do I use? Shell out the dough for the Verbatim 16x? Use TY 8x DVD+R using bit-setting? Decisions, decisions.

All I can say is that I'm horribly dissapointed in TY now.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby [buck] on Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:52 pm

That looks like a pretty standard result for TYG03... heck, some people might say it's GOOD for TYG03! YUDEN000T03 is even worse on average.

I haven't heard anything to indicate 8X TY is getting signifigantly worse, so I think your best bet would be to switch to Verbatim or just go back to TYG02/YUDEN000T02 (personally I prefer the latter).

edit - It's also worth noting that TY is NOT a god that never makes mistakes... see below...

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p ... stcount=11
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:13 pm

So I've been reading bad stuff generally about TYG03 and just discovered a few spindles of Sony media I bought on sale was TYG03 (it was MIJ and I thought maybe it was true Sony media). Is TYG03 just generally bad, or is it OK when burned slower, like 8x?

(I don't generally burn 16x media any faster than 8x, call me crazy ;) ) Or should I try to return it?

(I guess what I am asking is -- is it CRAP media, or is it just not up to TY's normal standards? I bought it as kind of "second rate" stuff for discs that don't warrant TYG02 or 16x CMC-made Verbatim. I.e., things I need to keep but that are either backup copies of stuff I already have on better discs, or things I don't need to "last a lifetime". Didn't know it was TYG03 when I bought it. Does it fill that role?)
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:32 pm

Most of the true TY/yuden media I have bought burns great in anything I try it in, can't say about years later but most of them work to this day. I have burns going back to my first 500a on spindles buried around here plus lots of loose ones but haven't botherd to retest anything to see how they do. Most are either test burns of new media at the time, or ones I didn't like in the first place but just haven't tossed because I'm a packrat and haven't figured out what to do with them.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:00 am

Justin42 wrote:(I guess what I am asking is -- is it CRAP media, or is it just not up to TY's normal standards? I bought it as kind of "second rate" stuff for discs that don't warrant TYG02 or 16x CMC-made Verbatim. I.e., things I need to keep but that are either backup copies of stuff I already have on better discs, or things I don't need to "last a lifetime". Didn't know it was TYG03 when I bought it. Does it fill that role?)

I'd think they'd be perfect for that job :)
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Return to Recordable Media Discussion