Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Andy Parsons Interview @ HD Beat

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Andy Parsons Interview @ HD Beat

Postby Ian on Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:04 am

HD Beat has interviewed Pioneer Electronics' Senior VP and BDA spokesperson, Andy Parsons. There were a few interesting tidbits.

http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/08/08/hdbeat ... senior-vp/

First off.. Andy's take on MPEG2 vs VC1. This has been hugely contested, especially with that comparison at Hi-Def Digest.

Ben:
You mentioned CODECs, how do you or the BDA feel about MPEG2 vs VC1? To this date most Blu-ray movies are MPEG2, which some would argue is inferior.
Andy:
I think that CODECs are all capable of delivering really good results. I think that it comes down to efficiency and I think one of the reason to use VC1 or AVC is to make better use of your space. Not because one is necessarily because one is better to achieve better picture quality. When you are looking at MPEG2 at high bit rates it can look indistinguishable from the source.

Think Managed Copy is going to be free? Ha! They're trying to get us to pay more for each copy we make.

Ben:
How do you see managed copy working.
Andy:
Managed copy is optional for hardware companies and if you have a player and you are prepared to have a device that can undertake a transaction function, meaning you are going to pay someone some money to make that copy. I think a lot of people may think managed copy means free copy. That is not the case at all, but if you are going to say I would like to make a coy of this to my portable viewing device and there is a dollar amount associated with that, then you have to have a hardware device that can make that a simple transaction. If you are in your living room and you say I would like to watch this on my portable media player, how do I do that. I would have a user interface that I go into and I would I say I would like to go onto a studios site for the particular disc and give them my credit card number and pay a fee to do that. That is just a question of whether we can work that into a player in a satisfactory operation for the user. We don't want to make it that difficult compounded by problems in their network. I suspect that it may operate more frequently in a computer environment than a stand alone player. Perhaps if they get more comfortable with transactions in the living room than perhaps we will start seeing that moving into more of a consumer electronics type model.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:23 am

Here's another interesting tidbit. I guess it wasn't Blu-ray preventing a hybrid player.

Matt:
A lot of the buzz is about dual/hybrid HD DVD/Blu-ray --is there something in the BDA licensing agreement preventing a manufacturer from making a dual player
Andy:
No, absolutely not and it clearly states that we have done nothing from limiting a manufacturer from making one of these dual format players.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives