Home News Reviews Forums Shop

BenQ DVD Writer Are Vanishing

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

BenQ DVD Writer Are Vanishing

Postby TCAS on Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:56 am

BenQ DVD Writer is vanishing from market and no longer is available for purchased. Newegg.com does not have so other places I guess we have to live without it.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:21 am

Yep, if people still want one, they might want to check out this thread:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=22156
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby DougA on Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:06 pm

First time buyer of DVD writer, searching reviews and chose the DW1655.
Now I discover, it's impossible to find. (no hits on any of the suggestions listed in another thread)

A couple of questions...
1) Ian's review mentioned the drive came with Nero Express, does (did) the retail package include Nero ? -- I presume any OEM/bare offers do not

I selected the DW1655 based on it's Lightscribe feature, reliable specs, Nero software, (speed is nice, reliable perfomance more important)

If this is no longer available, I'm back to square one, suggestions ?

Also, I might have missed this, but I don't normally read anything about how much noise these things make, perhaps you'd consider adding a comment to reviews ?

Thanks,
DougA

Postby Ian on Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:45 pm

Nero Express is based on Nero 6. I believe the OEM version of Nero 7 is Nero Essentials or something.

Back in the day I used to comment on noise but its such a subjective topic that I typically don't bother mentioning it unless a drive is super loud.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby [buck] on Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:52 pm

They're not completely impossible to find, but you'll usually have to pay a premium, and quantities are limited.

http://www.meritline.com/combo-retail-b ... x-dvd.html
http://www.meritline.com/benq-dw1655-li ... s-kit.html
http://www.meritline.com/benq-dw1655-li ... r-oem.html

Yes, the retail package should come with Nero Express, and OEM packages may or may not. The 5 OEM drives I've bought from NCIX.com have come with Nero Express, but it probably varies retailer to retailer. If you so desire, you can have one of my many copies of Nero Express for $5 :lol:

Now, I know some people have moved on to other drives, but I'm just not convinced there is a suitable replacement for BenQ drives quite yet. I would get one while they're still available.
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby bill on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:24 pm

Sorry Buck, just got off the phone with Meritline. The phone Rep said no more BenQs even though their site lets a person add them to the cart. :(
bill
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby DougA on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:31 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I placed an order at shop4tech, retail pkg for $56.

Hope you're right buck about the software being included, otherwise i'll likely contact you for one of those "spares" you mention. :D
DougA

Postby [buck] on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:31 pm

bill wrote:Sorry Buck, just got off the phone with Meritline. The phone Rep said no more BenQs even though their site lets a person add them to the cart. :(

http://www.shop4tech.com/?go=view_item&id=4729&r=249

What about that deal? At $56 shipped for the retail package, it's not a great bargain, but it's not that bad.
Last edited by [buck] on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:33 pm

DougA wrote:Thanks for the comments.

I placed an order at shop4tech, retail pkg for $56.

Hope you're right buck about the software being included, otherwise i'll likely contact you for one of those "spares" you mention. :D

Heh, looks like you beat me to the shop4tech deal. I'm 90% sure the retail package will have Nero :wink:
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby bill on Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:02 pm

[buck] wrote:
bill wrote:Sorry Buck, just got off the phone with Meritline. The phone Rep said no more BenQs even though their site lets a person add them to the cart. :(

What about that deal? At $56 shipped for the retail package, it's not a great bargain, but it's not that bad.

Glad you and Doug found the drive at a decent price. Froogle still gets a few hits but I don't know anything about the vendors.

Buck, five drives :lol: !
Are you using all five drives or just keeping some for spares?
bill
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby [buck] on Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:47 pm

bill wrote:
[buck] wrote:

Buck, five drives :lol: !
Are you using all five drives or just keeping some for spares?

Heh, I WISH I had 5 BenQ drives. I'm including all the drives I've ordered for friends, including 1 warranty replacement :wink:

Currently I've got a DW1640, a DW1650, and a DW1620 that I'm told is a flakey burner (I haven't got around to testing it yet). I won't be buying any more BenQ drives... I badly need to diversify my drive collection. Having 3 BenQs is nice and all, but it's nice to have a little variety! :D
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:11 pm

I have 6 BenQ drives... 1 x DW1620, 2 x DW1640, 1 x DW1650, 1 x DW1655, and 1 x DQ60.

I use 3 at any given time :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby bill on Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:19 am

Now we know who's responsible for the BenQ shortage, Dolph and Coolmaster :wink:

Knowing what you both know today (in the context of- drives currently available), what drive would you purchase for media quality scans? Also, is there a alternate drive that can both write and scan as well as the BenQ DW1640 and 165X series? I ask realizing that write quality depends on several factors, but if forced to buy a good general purpose drive, what would you buy today?
bill
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:00 am

Well, I've just about given up hope in any single drive for media tests. Every consumer drive seems to screw SOMETHING up if left on their own. So I use a BenQ/LiteON/Plextor Combo to weed those problems out. A Plextor/LiteON combo only however would still be a lot better then a LiteON only (or even a Plextor only). I don't consider NEC or Pioneer drives to be viable media testing drives. I haven't gotten my hands on a Samsung yet, so I'm not going to comment on that one.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby bill on Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:27 am

So we're stuck with using multiple drives for good writing and the ability to test reasonably well. I guess that's a fact of life at this time.

Somewhat related... What happened to BenQs R&D crew? Do you know if any of them moved over to Liteon?

Thank you :D
bill
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:51 am

I don't THINK anyone from BenQ moved over... but I may be mistaken.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby DougA on Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:46 pm

bill wrote:
[buck] wrote:

Glad you and Doug found the drive at a decent price. Froogle still gets a few hits but I don't know anything about the vendors.

Well ... shop4tech didn't pan out either ....
Dear valued customers:

Thankyou for your recent order with Shop4tech. However, it's unfortunately to notice you that the BenQ lightscribe DVD burner model DW1655 is currently back order from our warehouse. It's kind of shortage right now in the market, and we have no certain ETA of this item

After trying numerous sites from Froogle, and calling several that claimed to have stock, but didn't ...

So, looks like this drive has dried up

Well, it looks like i had picked a "good" drive anyway, too bad there aren't any.
DougA
Buffer Underrun

Postby [buck] on Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:34 pm

bill wrote:Knowing what you both know today (in the context of- drives currently available), what drive would you purchase for media quality scans? Also, is there a alternate drive that can both write and scan as well as the BenQ DW1640 and 165X series? I ask realizing that write quality depends on several factors, but if forced to buy a good general purpose drive, what would you buy today?

If there was absolutely no way for me to get my hands on a BenQ, I'd probably go for a LiteON. Mind you, the thought of NOT having a BenQ as a primary scanner is absolutely horrifying, so I would not classify any drive currently available as a suitable replacement. I also wouldn't want a LiteON as my primary burner, but probably a Pioneer DVR-111. Unfortunately, Pioneer drives just happen to be useless scanners :(
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:53 am

The other option for finding BenQ drives: eBay. :wink:
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:01 pm

People are talking about scanning drives that burn well and no one mentions the PX-755A or PX-760A? :roll:
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby bill on Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:08 am

Agreed, Plextor can make a good writer :D . The negative factor is that their pricing structure is ridiculous, IMO. I suppose if forced to settle for one writer a Plextor would get more consideration. Maybe that's Doug's situation?

If case space isn't a issue, the Pioneer 111-D and a Liteon combined are about the same cost as one Plextor.
bill
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby Gen-An on Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:32 pm

I saw tons of DW1650s at a local CompUSA for $59.99 after instant savings and mail-in rebate. They are sold under the brand "Norwood Micro." The picture on the box is clearly of a BenQ drive and they didn't even bother to give it their own model number; it says DW1650 on the packaging. It may only be my local store with the price drop and rebate but the drive is shown on Compusa.com for $79.99.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:40 pm

Yeah, my local CompUSA used to have tons of those. The last few shipments have all been Lite-On based drives though.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby DougA on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:33 pm

[buck] sent me a PM saying newegg had the DW1655 back in stock.
However, they must have gone quick, as I couldn't find a listing on their web site, nor did calling them locate any.

Thanks buck for the consideration.
DougA
Buffer Underrun

Postby [buck] on Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:01 pm

Yeah, they sold out in about an hour.
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to DVD Writers