Home News Reviews Forums Shop

US Elementary Schools start banning Tag

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

US Elementary Schools start banning Tag

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:31 pm

ATTLEBORO, Mass. --Tag, you're out!

Officials at the Willett Elementary School in Attleboro have banned
playground tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chasing
games over concerns about the risk of injury and liability for the
school.

"It's a time when accidents can happen," Principal Gaylene Heppe
said.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... _bans_tag/

WTF?!

I am *SO* glad I'm way past that stage of life, I don't think I could handle all the rules and restrictions imposed on being a kid now-a-days. How long before they ban recess altogether?
Last edited by dolphinius_rex on Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby smartin4 on Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:40 pm

With a 6 yr old son, and a new baby on the way, I am getting sick and tired of stuff like this. Cartoons are evil, video games produce serial killers, enough is enough already!!!!!!

We all grew up playing tag, football and other games. It's called being a kid, if you didn't want to participate, you didn't. You never had the teachers telling you "Don't run around and burn that childhood energy, just sit there and don't move, we don't want to get sued"

WTF is this world coming to when your kids can't be kids anymore?

IMO, things like this happen because the government flat out refuses to put a stop to frivolous lawsuits. But that's another rant, and another forum.
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:53 pm

Damn.. the US is going to suck (even more than it already does) in 20 years. Everyone is going to be a pussy. I'll have to move to Canada or something.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:17 pm

Ian wrote:Damn.. the US is going to suck (even more than it already does) in 20 years. Everyone is going to be a pussy. I'll have to move to Canada or something.

Hrm, I encourage that! :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Morpheus on Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:22 pm

... video games produce serial killers, enough is enough already!!!!!!

I thought it was horror movies. Or was it that horror movies make killers more creative? :D
Morpheus
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:52 pm

I thought listening to heavy metal turned people into serial killers. Oh wait.. that turned them into devil worshippers. I guess it worked on Bush. :wink:
Attachments
bush horns.jpg
bush horns.jpg (16.23 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby burninfool on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:25 pm

I thought California had some crazy laws but this one wins the Darwin Award.
I can see it now:if little Billy falls down playing tag then the "taggers" parents will have to pay his medical bills and take parenting classes....while the "tagger" has to take anger management classes and will be prescribed Ridilyn. #-o
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:03 pm

That had this on the news tonite. I guess the hippies around here already banned tag a couple of years ago.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby LoneWolf on Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:45 am

burninfool wrote:I thought California had some crazy laws but this one wins the Darwin Award.
I can see it now:if little Billy falls down playing tag then the "taggers" parents will have to pay his medical bills and take parenting classes....while the "tagger" has to take anger management classes and will be prescribed Ridilyn. #-o

No, the "taggee's" family sues the school (in the hypothetical situation), and in this lawsuit-happy age, the school got scared and overreacted. WAY overreacted. This one truly is idiotic. I can see what drove it though.

Probably 10% of students have an overprotective parent (of those, a small percentage is rich and arrogant enough to file a lawsuit). Another third want everyone to take responsibility for their child but themselves. Another small percentage could care less what happened to their child at all (sad but true). And then there is everyone else, who would just like their kid to be happy, have opportunities to succeed, and lead a pretty normal life. It's the first couple types that make it a real pain for the rest.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:38 pm

Looks like more schools are signing on to the "no tag" rule....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061020/lf ... 1020160352

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden